“A huge rip off!”
Review of River Inn Resort

River Inn Resort
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This place is shocking, the only thing that it has going for it is the location as you can ski to the door. The decor is something from the 70s, but not dusted!! the food is like prison camp food, particularly the way the dreary and unkept staff slop it up to you, you are hard pressed to find a clean glass and your feet stick to the beer laden carpet which gives off a stale stench at breakfast time, just to entice your appetite. It cost $4 for a bad cappuccino and the spa doesn't work. Hair dryer just about electricuted me and I could just keep going about everything that is wrong with it. The price is so not in line with what is on offer. It is clear that the owners are skimming the profits and not putting back in, place needs to be bulldozed. Seriously.

Room Tip: Don't do it unless you are used to very bad backpacker standards and happy to waste your money.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jojoshopaholic
There are newer reviews for River Inn Resort

Reviewed September 2, 2012

when you go on a ski holiday what are you there to do? Ski or snowboard of course. That is were the river inn is unbeatable, the best location in thredbo (unless you want to pay over $1000 a night for a place in crackenback ridge) I was a little skeptical from previous reviews but found our stay to be very good. While it can be noisy at time's, espcially the kiddies, it was bearable and all noise stopped by 9-10pm.
Other review's after my stay I found to be very whingy. For starters its a lodge not a resort/hotel (even though they say resort in the name lol) and everyone complaining about the pricing its thredbo!!!! not sydney! The staff I found to be very helpful and friendly. Check-in was quick and easy and found the guy and girl on reception to be very friendly, knowledgable about Thredbo village, the best ski runs and good places to go out! Plus also having the benfit of the male receptionist being a ski tech any issues we had were solved in minutes!! the rooms were clean, bed comfy + austar and I would recommend one of the ground floor rooms facing onto the road as it has a balcony(smoker) at the end of the day your only going back to your room the sleep and eagerly await the next day on the mountain. The food was good (keeping in mind its a bistro not a fancy resturant) and very resonably priced for Thredbo, I would recommend one of there pizza's very tasty and they do room delivery! The bar/deck is definatly the place to drink after lifts close with some good beers on tap and heaters on the deck so you can watch the sun go down outside in warmth!
The only downside of the whole stay was the spa not working but hey that is a bonus in my books, we had a great time and will be back next year for sure!!!

Room Tip: towards the end of the lodge (quiter) with a bottom floor room facing the road for a balcony!
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have never left a review before, and I travelled the world for 7 years. I stayed in some bad places but this one definately takes the cake. this is a hostel at 5 star prices. the room was tiny, the so called tv was smaller than my iphone, it was dirty and the beds were uncomfortable. one of the main reasons I booked here was its great location (which it has) and the fact it had a spa (great after riding all day) the spa of course didnt work and no one could tell you when it would be fixed (didnt happen while we were there) The food was that bad we gave up our free breaskfast and made toasties in the room. I would seriouslty advise camping over this place. I thought everyone was just over exagerating when i read the reviews, there not. If people keep paying these rediculous prices they can keep getting away with it.

1  Thank andrew f
Reviewed August 30, 2012

If you are ever thinking of staying here, please read on….

I would never usually write on review sites but this hotel warranted this review. Firstly, I would like to point out that all reviews from previous reviewers are 100% accurate. Being sceptical myself and after reading the comments I still booked for a 3 night stay and I would have to say it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. For a hotel that is charging $480+ / night, we were shocked by its facilities, cleanliness, features, un-professional staff and false advertising.

I have never experienced a so called 3 and a half star hotel that is of a standard that it resembles an 80 year old run down pub with a backpackers accommodation in the back. In all my times of backpacking around Europe, where hostel rooms were $5 / night and first come first serve to the cleanest beds, the only difference this place has was you had your own room.

We arrived and asked where the private car parking was located as described on the booking site, only to find them directing us to a public car park nearly half a KM away. We were given our keys and were told by a very unhelpful guy behind the desk that “Oh she’s around the back, down that corridor mate”, and made out way down to the room. We arrived to find a VERY basic large room, with 2 small single beds, and a decent size shower. We then discovered the very small portable oil heater which looked about 40 years old and learnt that night that the thermostat was not functioning and did not regulate the heat (which it struggled to provide given the size).

What we didn’t realize was the worst was to come.

The noise was UNBEARABLE! From the toilet paper thin walls, hearing every word from your neighbours 5 rooms down, to the steel roof which echoed every footstep and sounded like the roof was going to collapse when people in ski boots were walking on the second floor above us, to the bogan guests that the place seemed to be breeding every second, to the kids running down the hallways screaming and jumping above us (parents or hotel managers nowhere to be seen), I believe staying in the seventh circle of hell would have been quieter and more comfortable.

Advertised on the booking site listed a large spa, function room, authentic Bavarian bar and restaurant. The spa was under maintenance and when we enquired about why it was out of order we were rudely told that some guests had put bubble bath in it and we “cannot control our guests”. Fair Enough, but a basic apology and maybe a notice on the website or a warning when we called to confirm the booking stating that the spa was out of order would have sufficed, as this was one of the main reasons we booked this hotel. The function room has been “closed for private event”, which was another one of the items we paid for and did not receive. The restaurant resembled a prison eatery back in the 50’s spruced up with Scandinavian knick knacks to give it the “Bavarian” feel. The food tasted like it was bought at a $2 thrift shop. We ate there once, with paying $25+ for one small meal, and had to throw most of it away in fear of health issues.

Its only positive feature was the hotels immediate proximity to the Friday flats area, but comparing to the negatives, this does in no way redeem the hotels poor facilities, cleanliness, features, and un-professional staff. If you have the choice, take someone advise from someone who doubted the reviews and pay your hard earned wage to another hotel that has half an idea of running an establishment.

5  Thank Jackal131
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Having read multiple Bad reviews I was pleasantly surprised, the room was clean the bed comfortable, check-in was easy and Dean and Jo are very nice and accomodating. the noise factor is a problem, children running up and down the corridors, no concern of their parents!! why do people bang their doors at anytime of day or night????? but if you are getting up and going to bed at the same time it is bearable. The Barvarian barn is depressing bad lighting, cold and no table covers. But the staff were pleasant and worked hard serving and clearing the tables.
The location is close to Friday flat and easy access once you have your pass. Parking is also very convenient. would I stay again no as it is not my style too many person in rooms which contirbute to the noise.

Room Tip: upstairs is probably more ideal away from the main road toward the back of the Inn.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I are just back from a weekend here. I was a little skeptical after the reviews, but wanted to give it a go with its great location. I'd go back. For a king room, it's pretty expensive, but it's on snow at Thredbo, so be realistic. Our room was bigger than most ski rooms I've stayed in - enough space for bulky stuff. We made use of the microwave and fridge with some home-cooked food - experience has taught us mountain food is usually expensive and/or ordinary. The location is pretty fantastic. It's not technically ski-in-ski-out - under that definition I expect to be able to toss my skis from the locker room out the door and snap them on. But, it's a couple of dozen steps to the lift, much much easier than all the lodges on opposite slope of Thredbo village. It makes a real difference and meant we were on the lifts when they opened to get first tracks and in the car 25 minutes after our last run on Sunday. The service was fine - they're all ski bums, but friendly enough and our room was serviced nicely while we were out. There was one group of staff blocking the loading bay on Sunday afternoon. We picked up skis from their partner in Jindabyne and were impressed that when we had a problem with a boot, the tech guy at River Inn came to help straight away and swapped the boots for another pair in a few minutes. The only major drawback of the resort was the fellow guests - we've nicknamed it the Bogan Magnet. But hey, we weren't there to hang out with new people and were happily near the end of the corridor with minimal passing foot traffic.

Room Tip: The end of the corridor is a little further to walk, but worth it for a quieter night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

For the price i paid, i was half expecting a little slice of Switzerland but what i got was a room which resembled something that of a cheap sleazy pay the hour brothel.The photos they use on their website are nothing like actual reality. This trickery would leave a real estate agent in awe. Not only is this possibly the worst 'hotel' i have ever stayed in, i would dare say its probably the most poorly built building i have ever stepped foot in. With all the laws, rules and OH&S etc. in this country im gobsmacked how this place got the tick of approval. I never knew cardboard could be used as construction material. The walls are paper thin and the noise levels are unbearable. With every footstep from upstairs i was half expecting the ceiling to cave in. The prospect of sleeping in my car did cross my mind, and at about 2am i almost convinced myself this was a sensible option, even at the risk of dying from monoxide poisoning from keeping the heater running.

As for the service, i suspect they rustled up some backpackers from a nearby hostel and put them to work at reception. It would also appear that the basic grasp of the english language is not a requirement to work at the Thredbo inn.

If this is the only place you can find a room, my suggestion is that you just wait till next season

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
#4 of 5 in Thredbo Village
Snowy Valley Resort
Snowy Valley Resort
#10 of 10 in Jindabyne

Been to River Inn Resort? Share your experiences!