“Couldn't fault it!”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Thredbo Village
Canberra, Australia
“Couldn't fault it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was looking for a quiet weekend away with my partner. I decided on the Denman because I had heard so many fantastic things about it from friends, and to be honest, it was even better than what I had expected! Fantastic views of the mountain, the friendliest and most engaging staff imaginable (and that went from the owners/management, across to all of the waiting staff in the restaurants and the incredibly knowledgable and witty bartender), comfortable bed, an affordable price, with a great breakfast too!

The Terrace restaurant deserves an entry all to itself. The staff were courteous, knowledgable of finest details of all of the dishes and wines, and were both highly entertaining and more than willing to offer advice on the local area's activities.

After finishing my a great dinner, that was in fact CHEAPER than when we normally go out, I discovered that the restaurant was actually the restaurant of the year in the ACT and southern NSW, and it showed.

The bar downstairs the Apres bar attracts a lively and fun bunch, with a great bartender who knew his drinks inside out and stocked a fantastic local and international range of spirits. I threw a couple of obscure cocktail requests his way, and not only did he know all of them, he offered a personal twist on each if I was so inclined. He is worth his weight in gold as a barman, having worked around the world, he has more than a yarn or two to share and is great company as one indulges in a tipple at the end of the day. With a 24 hour license the bar has done well to maintain a lively, fun, but not at all obnoxious feel (as I have become accustomed to in other 24 hour licensed bars around the world)

Do yourself a favour if you are looking for a great place to stay with great wine and song, you honestly can't go past this place in summer or winter (for the record I have come down this time for summer, but this will become my regular winter haunt).

Room Tip: Talk to management about any special needs, they take customer service very seriously
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jordan N
Ed D, Reservations Coordinator at The Denman Hotel Thredbo, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Denman Hotel. It looks like you had quite an enjoyable experience. I love hearing about great places from my friends. They always seem to find those hidden gems that often evade me.
I agree, Owner’s Ed and Judy are great. They have owned and operated the Denman Hotel for many years and treat the Hotel and guests as family. Like you mentioned, all you have to do if you need a hand with services or special requests is see Ed and Judy or one of the amazing staff and they will make it happen for you.
It’s such an amazing feeling walking into your room at the Denman and seeing those amazing mountain views. The Denman’s Balcony rooms and Mountain view rooms offer one of the best mountain views that I’ve ever experienced, and waking up and seeing nature at its finest through your window is the best way to start the day. If you enjoyed it so much during your summer visit, when you return for winter you’ll be absolutely blown away seeing the peaks with a fresh white cover.
It is such great news that you enjoyed both The Terrace restaurant and Après bar so much, and yes it is a multiple award winner. I feel so much of a holiday revolves around that relaxed atmosphere that both of these venues have in spades. The menu options at The Terrace are exquisite to say the least. Did you try the Trout while you were there? It’s my personal favourite.
It seems that you found a good friend at Après Bar too; The barman is what gives any bar an edge. Let’s be honest, most of them have experienced enough for three lifetimes, and it makes the evening having a friendly, yet skilful barman taking care of you. I’ll be sure to pass this glowing review of his work on.
The Denman Hotel is a part of 8hotels, so if you’re also looking at travel elsewhere during the year, be sure to have a look at the array of hotels on the 8hotels website. We look forward to speaking with you soon and making sure all of your requirements for your next trip to The Denman Hotel can be taken care of, so you have nothing to do but relax and take in the fresh mountain air.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Denman and absolutely loved it. The room was spacious and clean and the hotel has so many sitting rooms for guests to relax and read or chat or just wind down. The food in the restaurant delicious and well prepared and the continental breakfast was substantial.
The hotel is ideally situated within easy walking distance of the village shops and chair lifts. If we return to Thredbo we will certainly be staying at the Denman.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I’m glad that you and your family had such a great time at The Denman Hotel, WookAustralia. I know traveling as a family does get quite stressful at times. The Denman is perfect for these family get always, I love escaping to the Library to get a good read in away from the world, or even better, when I have enough spare time to pay a visit to The Denman Day Spa, which is the only day spa in the township of Thredbo.
The Denman’s location makes it easier to get everywhere that is for sure. It’s nice just having one less thing to stress about while on holiday, and gives you plenty of time to enjoy the things that you go on holiday to enjoy. Also having the award winning restaurant, The Terrace, in the Hotel itself gives you more time to experience all that Thredbo has to offer. Another advantage that the Denman has is that if you would like to have a relaxed drink after dinner, Après bar is right there for you. No need to try and brave the night time chill.
If you enjoyed your stay at the Denman Hotel so much, when traveling elsewhere around Australia and also some locations around the world, be sure to check out the great range that 8hotels has to offer. We look forward to taking care of your next travel arrangements to the Denman Hotel, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us, so we can make sure that you, and your family have another get away to remember.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful place to stay in the snow. Owners Ed and Judy go out of their way to make you feel at home. The restaurant is top class and the bar downstairs is great for Après happy hour. We would stay again when we are in Thredbo. Thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Thanks for the great review, Dinobug. I’m glad that your stay at the Denman Hotel was such a pleasant experience. Owners Ed and Judy take great pride in making sure all out our guests are looked after in every respect, and it’s great that you felt this way.
While The Denman Hotel is a great winter get away destination, it is also worth getting to see Thredbo during the warmer months too. As well as getting to experience the great activities like trekking, mountain biking, bob sledding and abseiling just to name a few, you have more time to experience The Denman Day Spa, which is the only day spa in Thredbo. Also as you mentioned, more time to experience the Terrace Restaurant, which was the 2011 winner of the Restaurant and Caterers association’s “Best Restaurant in a Hotel” award for the region.
We look forward to being in contact with you in the near future so we can make sure your next stay at the Denman Hotel is another that you will never forget.
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I simply like the Denman which is the best and the only destination for us in Thredbo. Someone possibly see it unfair, but I like everything about the old, good Denman. Yes, it is not modern and the rooms are definately not the biggest around, but the hotel has it's own (historical, if you want), charm. No argue - design and decoration of 1970-1980s are back in style now, and the only thing I personally wanted, it was a kind of ski celebration in the style of 1970s with funny wigs, bright shirts and amazing minis in the lovely Denman's bar. Well, it was my time when I started skiing!
This season I again appreciated the perfect position of Denman in the middle of the village. My historical return to skiing after rather long absence made me think about the ski storage, which I found in Denman very useful. Short distance from the hotel to the village bus stop made any trip to the slopes with skis very easy. The popular topic about the absence of the private hotel parking space makes me smile: I always feel, that we are talking about some royalty, who's short and pleasant trip to the overnight parking is absolutely impossible. Actually, we are happy, that a narrow, curved street of Thredbo does not have that parking at all. It makes the picture of a cosy alpine village more European and not like an American supermarket mall. Thanks for a nice lift to the parking, Judy!
I was reading the negative reviews about Denman, as well as the other places in Thredbo, and never understood that people. It is obvious mistake and misunderstanding there! It looks like many of the visitors are clearly misled by wrong information and are always expecting something bigger and better. It is strange, because when I go to the mountains, I always expect "mountain" accomodation, atmosphere and, well, prices. Yes, the rooms are much more expensive and smaller, menu's sometimes limited and the fuel price on the local pump was over 2$ per litre in August 2012. But it is mountains, my dears! There are slopes and snow we came for and are ready to sacrifice a little bit for our own good memories.
The Denman's restaurant, The Terrace, in 2012 was easier but still the best in the village. The amazing fresh trout from the restaurant menu was a hit, for sure. The cosy hotel's bar, shown in the recent TV show "Don't tell the Bride", was nice as usual, and attracting enough young people and ski veterans to chat with. So, we have nothing to complain about: the Denman and its people were excellent, and we will stay there more.
Our special thanks to Ed and Judy who made our holidays in Thredbo so nice!

Room Tip: Book a mountain view room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about such a great experience at The Denman Hotel. You touched on so many great points about what The Denman and Thredbo have to offer.
As a bit of a History buff myself I have to admit I, like you, love the nostalgic value the Denman has, while still being modern in so many aspects. Architecture and design is one of the main features in 8hotels range of hotels in Australia, and around the globe. I might have to take a leaf out of your description and dust off the old 80s snow gear on my next ski trip!
That’s right! The Denman Hotel did feature on Channel 7’s “Don’t Tell the Bride”. As well as being a popular destination through the well-publicised snow season, The Denman Hotel is quite well known as a beautiful location for weddings and other functions. The Denman has a relaxing, stress free atmosphere that is perfect for conferences of up to 80 guests. The Denman has a dedicated conference manager and boasts several different areas for all of your requirements.
I have noticed that you are a return guest to The Denman Hotel. It’s great to see that you enjoy your stay each time. The Denman is part of the 8hotels family. Be sure to check out our other locations around Australia and also our international locations. We look forward to taking care of all of your future reservations at The Denman, and hearing all about your new adventures in the Snowy Mountains.
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Earlier this winter we visited the Terrace Restaurant and were impressed by the courteous efficient service, the excellent food and the all round apres-ski dining experienced it offered. We enjoyed it so much we went back another night and enjoyed it just the same. So impressed was I at the restaurant I booked a weekend at The Denman for late August for a father & son ski trip....

The cost of the accommodation was reassuringly expensive, so I presumed we would be staying in a luxuriously appointed room. Not so Sir! Let's keep this measured and say that we had a double room and there wasn't enough room to swing a rat never mind a cat. We're talking broom cupboard size and I really am not one to exaggerate, the room itself was roughly was no more than 8 square metres with a bathroom that was a little wider than the toilet. The room was designed to sleep in and little else, there was a TV precariously balanced on top of the wardrobe which didn't really work and little else. Let's say if an adult couple on the rounder stayed in here they would really find it a squeeze.The bed and linen were good and we slept well, however spending 8 hours on the slopes really helps in that regard.

The Denman advertises the accommodation with escort parking which means they will give you a lift back to the hotel from the overnight car parks at Friday Flat. On busy weekends it can be tricky to find a spot in these car parks, so there is no absolute guarantee that you will find a car parking spot. Furthermore, this can be lead to a rather congested and untidy getaway if the whole hotel is leaving on the same day!

In summary, do go and EAT there it is very good. If you're down there for the snow in a serious way and money is no object then stay elsewhere, Thredbo is ridiculously expensive during the winter so you do pay city hotel 5 star rates for 3 star accommodation and this barely makes 3 stars. It does however have a fabulous location, which is also a big tick in its favour.

Pluses: Location, Restaurant
Minuses: No guaranteed parking, room size and quality.

Summary: I won't be going back

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wow! It’s great to hear that The Terrace Restaurant was such an amazing experience for you and I am just as excited that it influenced you to return to The Denman Hotel with your Son. I can remember similar experiences with my Father and Brother growing up and those are still the most talked about moments of our lives when we get back together for the Holidays.
As you can understand, the popularity of the Snowy Mountains region increases rapidly through the winter period, and you did quite well to get in early and secure your room. Price is determined by the popularity as well as other important features and services offered within the Denman Hotel. Next time you come to Thredbo, we would love for you to experience one of our larger rooms on offer at the Denman Hotel. Our Balcony rooms, as well as Two Bedroom and Family rooms offer a much larger space while still keeping all of the great features the other rooms offer.
In regards to the parking situation, as you know, Thredbo is a tightly knit community; this applies on both a personal and geographical level. While there is a limited amount of availability for parking spaces, The Denman does offer a valet service. As you can imagine there is quite a demand for this. Please let the reservations team or anyone at reception know if we can help with any parking enquiry or even just a helping hand as early as possible, this way we can make sure that all of these requirements can be met.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Mixed bag w this one. Was expecting much more given the 4* rating and the cost per night (around the $400 mark!)

First the good: location was great, centre of town. Breaky was ok, and restaurant for dinner was lovely-good food and wine list and good service.

However-car had to be parked off site and, although the owners drop u down to park and then pick it up, just a bit annoying. Room-we had what they call a "cosy compact double". It certainly was "cosy" and "compact". Very small, but it did have a (slight) view of the mountain and was warm. No bath, but the shower was hot and powerful. The bathroom exhaust fan seemed to work initially, but then started making such a noise when on, we ended up not using it, and consequently showering using light from the main room because they were connected.

The room wasn't especially clean-there were cobwebs up near the roof and it looked as though someone had squeezed a pimple against the mirror and it hadn't been cleaned. Not nice...

Room had an older tv (not flat screen) and a DVD player and a set top box. However, because there was a only a dual socket we couldn't use the TV because we would have had to move it to get to the socket to Plug in the set top box, which wasnt really safe given it was the older 'box' type tv and was up above shoulder height-I'd have expected the room to have been checked over for these things prior to check in.

Room was pretty noisy-some late arrivals got there after 11pm on the first night and woke us up, the second night they woke us just coming home-very poor soundproofing...

Overall, the room did the job. It was warm and cosy, and the bed and shower were good. Have definitely stayed in worse, but have also stayed in far better-including at the Hilton (Belfast, during peak Xmas season)-for far less than what we paid here. I know it was peak (snow) season, but I sortof felt as though we were being gouged and that at least some of the issues were totally avoidable.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking some time out to give us some feedback on your experience during your stay at The Denman Hotel.
It seems you also share my love for a nice long shower, especially one after a tough day on the slopes. The shower is always my first point of inspection when staying in a hotel, and I’m glad this simple pleasure was to your liking.
Cleanliness of our rooms is very important to the Denman Hotel, and I am sorry to hear that there were some short comings on the arrival. We can assure you that these issues have been communicated to our house keeping team, and that our high standard of room cleanliness is consistently exceeding these expectations.
As well as the double room, we offer rooms of other sizes that can meet our guest’s requirements. Before booking your next trip, take a look at our Mountain View room, Balcony rooms and if you’re after more room than any, our Family room offer plenty of space. Some of these rooms offer more of a secluded aspect, which can help with combating the noise that those who love what Thredbo has to offer just as much by night as they do by day.
Being quite technologically impaired myself, I more than understand the frustration that television cords and plugs present. We as a team will work together to make sure that this is not overlooked in future, and that our team are readily available and more than happy to fix and situations for you that those pesky televisions can throw our way.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Close location to the slopes and handy if you want to stay outside the 2 or 7 day options of most accommodation. Breakfast included, but it was just heated up in bain marie and not too hot, mini muffins overly sweet and fake tasting and there is no option for an expresso coffee. Plates not cleared away until the group leaves the table. Disappointing for the price. Very loud music from the bar at the hotel until 3 am!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Denman Hotel. One of the most important tools that we possess in the industry is hearing the little things that can sometimes make the world of difference. Though we love hearing the positive, the negative is unfortunately inevitable on some occasions.
I’m sorry to hear about your poor experience at breakfast. During the snow season breakfast times are extended by and hour. I will ensure that next time all of your issues will have been resolved and more diligent care from our kitchen staff will be present.
Hopefully next time you travel to Thredbo, we will be able to take care of all of your needs and make sure that your Denman experience is really something to remember. Be sure to contact us at any time to make sure we can make your stay a relaxed and a pleasurable one.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thredbo Village
#3 of 8 in Perisher Valley
Black Bear Inn
Black Bear Inn
#2 of 4 in Thredbo Village

Been to The Denman Hotel Thredbo? Share your experiences!