“Needs professional hotel management”

The Denman Hotel Thredbo
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Thredbo Village
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed at the Denman last week and were thoroughly disappointed. The rooms are very clean, but very dated, and most of the bathrooms are tiny - we had to stand in the shower to get enough room to close the door. And yes, as another reviewer has mentioned, the water temperature in the shower, was inconsistent (ran hot, then cold, then hot). Also the room heaters seemed quite undersized, and our room barely got warm. I also heard two other guests complain about the room heating and the hot water at Reception.

The food at breakfast was excellent, but the service was appalling. Every single morning people had to go in to the kitchen (no waiting staff to be found) to ask for plates, cups, more bacon or fruit etc.

Rooms weren't cleaned until after 3 pm each afternoon, and when you are a weary skier coming down from the slopes after lunch, the last thing you want is to have someone knock on your door at 3.30 pm saying "Room Service" when you are trying to get showered and changed.

The Denman is in a great location, but would really benefit from having a professional manager who could organise and train the staff. But at $300 +++ per night, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Amelia123Sydney

Reviewed September 2, 2011

My family and I (husband, myself, 1 year old and 3 year old) just got back from our 5 day stay at the Denman. We had originally planned to book an apartment but decided we would fork out a little extra and stay at this 4.5 star hotel, which offers buffet breakfast and a couple of dinners in the price, so that I wouldn't have to cook! A week prior we asked if we could check in early but were told we would have to sit and wait in the lobby until our room was ready (understandable). We ended up arriving at around 2.40 and were told we could leave our bags in the lobby area and that we had to wait 20 mins and we waited in the car. It was then 3pm and we were told to wait another 15 minutes. So we decided to sit in the lobby. My husband had to keep going outside to move the car because of the extremely limited drop off space (and practically no parking), so I was in the lobby with my toddlers who I gave pens and paper to keep busy. I told them to look out the window at their father and the owner Judy rudely told us to be careful of the window (my kids were barely touching it). My 1.5 yr old took the seat cushion down on to the ground and she told him in a mean voice to pick them up and put them back! I was glad my son doesn't understand English much yet otherwise I'm sure he would've been upset! How can she tell us to wait in the lobby if she is going to growl at us? It was around 3.20 when she finally mumbled something about showing our room and then when I went to grab the kids she had gone to a phone call, and another, and another and ignored me when I went up to her. About 10 mins later when I asked about the room she said another 5 mins. Not an easy wait with two toddlers and a pregnant belly I tell you! I really don't understand how Judy can suggest we wait in the lobby if she can't even handle a toddler lifting a cushion!? She has much to learn about hotel management. She finally told me the room was ready and to take the key. At that exact moment my youngest was running out the door and I had to catch him and she snarled 'are you going to take the key??' and I said I thought I might catch my son first!

Anyway I went to have a shower straight away and the water kept changing from cold to hot, it was very annoying! We had no shampoo, conditioner, soap, nothing! (i requested these and they brought them promptly). The robes we so hard and rough, soooo not 'luxurious'! The shower tiles had moldy grout, and the bathroom is much too small to dry yourself in!

We stayed in the triple mountain view room, which was meant to have a single bed and a king bed, but the king was just two singles pushed together which made a very uncomfortable bump in the middle. The photos had the DVD player up on a platform which we liked because the kids couldn't touch it, but it wasn't like this at all, the DVD player was on a side table so we had to remove it for the whole of the stay

I called reception for the room service menu but apparently they no longer had room service because they didn't have enough chefs. Bummer. When doing a final check of the room when checking out I thought I'd look through the bedsheets to see if the kids forgot any toys, and I found a 'Victorias secret' tag in one of the beds. This did not belong to us! This made me feel sick, thinking that they may have just straightened the already used sheets of the previous guests! Revolting.

Buffet breakfast was yummy though, although on two of the five mornings the vegetarian options were in the same hot tray unit as the bacon and ham, which is definitely not ideal if you are vegetarian, Muslim or Jewish! I didn't complain because in the end im the one who gets upset and I was on holiday so I didn't want a fuss. Advice, grab what you want ASAP cos for some of it when it's gone it's gone, such as the smoked salmon.

Dinner was yum too, we ate at the Old Pool restaurant. On the kids menu the macaroni and cheese is very very bland, my kids barely touched it. The minestrone soup on the entree menu is filling and yum according to my husband. I liked the fettucine. The trout was average. The fresh prawns were delicious, they are your typical prawns with aoeli sauce. The pecan ice cream sundae is yummy. Was a bit annoyed by the slow service on the last part of our second dinner, before I got to order my main the kids were already running about, I think the waitress forgot about us. But all in all the waitresses are very helpful and friendly.

No Internet here people! If you want to access their high speed Internet it is expensive and only available in some rooms, and the lobby. Parking is far away and it's up to you to find a spot if you can, otherwise you need to park at Friday Flat.

Our room (302) was good because rather than the door leading straight into the hotel it leads outside, so we had direct street access meaning we didn't have to go through the hotel for anything and loading the car on the last day is easier and you can avoid the crowd! The quicker the better when you have little kids. However our door was difficult to open, you put the key in and turn, and struggle for minutes on end, with toddlers saying how cold they are! They should get the locks fixed. I almost threw the keys away!

In conclusion, I do not think it is worth $400 a night ( what we paid for it). Even if the only improvement was to improve managerial approach to customer service and pay attention to detail (such as shampoos, soap, etc) I think this hotel would rank much higher in my books. In hindsight, I should have realized their carelessness when Judy forgot to send me the confirmation email upon payment. I called the day before we left to ask her to send it and then she did. In a 4.5 star hotel guests expect to be a little pampered, and unfortunately I didn't experience that. Have stayed at 5 star hotels for less than half of what we paid here and really experienced the 5 star treatment. Hotel management must act more humble. It wasn't an awful stay, and the things that I have stated here may seem minute, so it's up to you, and what you are looking for in a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Galaxxii
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed a few nights midweek.
Expecting what we saw on the website was our mistake. Really, how could an old run-down lodge (the denman was formerly bursills lodge) transform into 4.5 star accommodation.
Let's be honest, the denman is that 1960s lodge with a lick of paint.!!!!
Seriously, thredbo IS expensive, but they are charging way too much for what is offered.
One example, which displays how this place is 2 star: we arrived and a wall mounted ash tray, that was doubling as a bin was overflowing. This was at the main entrance to the hotel and the ski lockers, within direct view of a manned reception desk. The bin wasn't emptied for 4 days!!!!!!!! -you can only imagine what attention to detail happens behind the scenes.

I would only ever return if the rates were halved to reflect what they really offer.

The staff were 'nice', but so evident they weren't too caring for the livelihood of this faulty towers!

Room Tip: Mountain views best
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank R H
Reviewed August 18, 2011

As has previously been mentioned, I cannot fault anything with the Denman Hotel. My husband and I decided to fork out the extra $100 per night for a 4.5 star hotel rather than our previous stays at 3 star hotels. What a difference. Great location, one of the best bars in Thredbo, and the hospitality was incredible. We were having a drink at the bar with the owner Judy and ended up joining her husband and daughter for dinner in the restaurant. What lovely hosts.

I understand people may be disappointed by the size of the rooms, but it is Thredbo. The rooms and value for money were great in comparison to what you'd pay at a 3 star hotel up a steep hill. I'd pay the extra money to stay at the Denman again. I disagree with MontyCairns review.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 107 which was a double room but is one of the few which has a part mountain view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We haven't stayed in the hotel, but went to its bar restaurant and found them very good. Bar is very small and cosy and the restaurant had a good choice of dishes, each very well presented and reasonably priced.
For example, kids meal for $18 included a main (in our case spaghetti and meat balls) and a dessert (our choice was Eton mess and it was superb!).
On top of that, the service was very good.
Considering that most establishments in regional Australia either seriously overpriced or lack refinement, this place was a genuine surprise.
We will be back for sure.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Ok - my other half and I have just returned from a week at the Denman. There was not one thing that we thought was missing.. Well it was a special weekend.. The hotel had organised a cocktail party on the Friday and a complete degaustation dinner on the Saturday... THE FOOD and the wine - were genuinely fantastic.. My other half thougth it was the best she had had in Australia for a while. I thought it was just tip top.

That was not all the weather was great and the snow rather good. (This really the hotel has no control over) but when it alll comes together..well does one not have a very big smile and smirk on their face?

The staff we just as polite and efficient as we have both come across in Australia for a long time.. They made it feel as if it was not an issue and they wated to really make sure you had all you needed. They were great and they were not "affected", it was as if they really wanted you to have a tip top time.

Now - I can not give every thing a glowing report ... the rooms were a tad on the small side.. but they were warm..

Let me assure you the staff and the food are really tip top..

Marc and Bettina

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fulviahf
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The room was on the small size but the accommodation was advertised as a compact so it was not really a surprise. Recently renovated every thing was clean and in good order. The room layout was some what annoying in that the two bedrooms were connected and the only bathroom was off the second (children's) bedroom. The bathroom only had a pedestal basin - this is very annoying for a travelling family as there is simply no room to put anything. No storage in the children's bedroom meant kids had to live out of their bags - very messy for a whole week. Breakfast was included and very nice. A meal allowance included in the accommodation for dinner should be scrapped as it means you feel the need to book three dinners - but the menu is limited and expensive with no children's menu or even remotely children friendly menu in the Terrace restaurant a real let down. Also bookings are very limited so everyone is after the same time slots. Overall it was reasonable valve and a good location but I doubt we would stay again. Basically you get what you pay for when you stay on the snow here in Australia and unfortunately you have to pay a fortune to get something really nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
#2 of 8 in Perisher Valley
Aneeki Ski Lodge
Aneeki Ski Lodge
#20 of 25 in Thredbo Village

Been to The Denman Hotel Thredbo? Share your experiences!