“Great warmth but no WIFI”

Rydges Thredbo Alpine Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Thredbo Village
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My wife and I have only just returned from 5 days at TAH. I have stayed at the hotel before, my wife hadn't. Everything was good - bar two. First, the good. The hotel tretains that 50s charm it has always has which is wonderful. I can just imagine Charles Anton and Tony Sponar having a beer in the bar. The staff are always friendly and helpful which is very important. The rooms have never been 5 star (it's a ski resort), but other things make up for that. Location is sensational and the facilities make it easy for skiers and snowboarders to get up the mountain with a minimum of fuss. The 2 restaurants Cascades for everyday and Segretos for special are stil top notch (although I preferred the northern Italian Segretos), the masseuse Tineke is fantastic and the bar welcoming and warm. OK, now for the two let downs: first is the TV/AV facilities - an analog TV - even if flatscreen - just doesn't cut it in 2011. Get digital and access many more channels. But why not subscribe to Foxtel? Is TAH a 3 star or 4-5 star? It charges 5 star prices in the winter, and so it should have matching facilities. The 2nd thing is internet access. TAH has an Internet Room (no, really!) with slow dialup access. No Net in the rooms, no cable outlet, no WIFI anywhere. Most lodges in Thredders now have Wifi. I know TAH simulates the 50s, but no need to go that far! WIFI in all rooms should be obligatory at this price point (Andrew, I know you're out there - take note!) . Otherwise, a wonderful Thredbo institution.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
TAH_GM, General Manager at Rydges Thredbo Alpine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

Dear Fell0w_Traveller49,

Thanks for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. You are correct, the hotel has so many fantastic features including the character & charm, the friendly and helpful service and great food and beverage options. In regards to the Wifi, I agree with you - we need a solution for it. I started this role in March this year and it was one of the first things I put on my to do list. I did find a solution to have wifi throughout the hotel but unfortunately we ran out of time to get the cabling etc installed before the start of the ski season in June. I hope to have it installed before the start of the next ski season. The hotel has 5 Austar channels with 2 free movie channels also as well as the usual free to air channels, and yes, reception is a problem with some channels in Thredbo (mainly channel 7 and ABC) and is something we are continuing to work on however we find that most guests are so busy enjoying the resort that TV is the last thing on their minds.

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife & 3 1/2 year old stayed here for 3 nights which was at the end of July 2011.
We booked an "early bird" package which included a 2 person meal in the Pub and 2 person meal the Cascade Resteraunt and breakfast each morning. We found the staff helpfull, the location perfect (right near the chair lifts and snow) and the meals excellent.

The only down for me was the cleanliness of the room........the bathroom had mould around the tiles which I reported but was not still not cleaned properly the next day; A bit of bleach spray could have sorted that very easily.

I also think some amplifiers need to be used for the TV reception rather than just leaving it as it is. I have read about this issue here a few times and nothing seems to have been done about it.

Overall we did enjoy the stay and did not have any problems with how the hotel is set up or looks, the noise wasn't too bad and the room had everything we needed - We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Richo75
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We chose the Alpine Hotel based on TA reviews - we were looking for one night to chill out without kids, just before the snow season kicked off. Due to the time of year we went, not much was open in the village, but with only one night this didn't matter, with the hotels retuarant and bar open, all we needed!

The hotel room we got was on the third floor, and faced the car park. We could have pgraded to a moutain facing room, would do this if we go again. The room was quite small, but very reasonable overall. Bathroom a bit dated. Checkin was polite, but as per other reviews - no one mentions that if you need to walk three flights with luggage, although there's no elevator, there is a car park up on that level we could have been directed to, since there is access to that car park from that level.

Best of all, the hotel restaurant, Cascades. We took advantage of an early seating deal they offered - if seated before 7, and ordered 2 courses, we got a free glass of wine and a % taken off the bill. The food was astounding, clearly the chef and kitchen are there to cater for a well heeled skiiing crowd, but omg I was glad to luck out. Recommend the shared tasting paste entree, with local produice as antipasto. It was seriously a pleasure, from the servivce though to the desert. (passionfruit tart - WOW). Wine list fabulous. Unfortunately breakfast was very average - buffet of usual fare kept warm in a bay marie - a shame they didn't offer a menu to match the dinner experience. I woud go and stay at this place again, just for that evening meal.

On a lighte hearted note, the hotel is full of twists, turns, small staircases - in the off season it was a little eerie, it made us think of The Shining :) Recommend

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rachaelOz

Dear RachaelOz,

I am pleased to you enjoyed your stay with us, even if it was in our quietest month of the year! Executive Chef Jean-Michel Gerst has trained and worked in some of the finest hotels and restaurants in Europe, Asia & Australia including Dorchester, Four Seasons & Hilton. Chef takes great pride in the food we serve and he will be happy to hear your comments regarding dinner. We also have a very extensive winelist, there are also a number of vintage wines in our cellar that do not feature on our lists for those guests who really want something special.

Thanks for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

The hotel is located a short walk across a footbridge from the slopes and chairlifs. It's right next to the little village of shops and restaurants so is very convenient. Parking is at the door.

The room was cosy and functional. We had a great view over the slopes.

We would return there as it seems to be the best "deal" around when looking for a night or two, as most seem to require minimum 5 night stays etc...

• Stayed: July 2011

Dear ResaSydney,

Thanks for your review. We try to be as flexible as possible with our bookings and do try to avoid the 5 day minimum stays that most of the other hotels and apartments enforce. In fact we now have no minimum stay requirements for the remainder of the 2011 season. I am pleased you enjoyed the value of The Thredbo Alpine Hotel. I look forward to your return.

Regards,

Reviewed July 18, 2011

A hugely successful weekend for a group of over 70 people which was very much due to the unbelievable hospitality extended by all at Thredbo Alpine Hotel. I mean ALL - reception, maintenance and management staff. It was amazing to experience such a 'can-do' attitude and friendly culture in such a big business. Best of all was the feeling that we were welcome - we were encouraged to relax and enjoy ourselves. I would highly recommend TAH as a venue for large diverse groups.The group organisers, first Sonia and then Emma were extremely helpful working with us to tailor the weekend's activities to our needs.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Robyn29
TAH_GM, General Manager at Rydges Thredbo Alpine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2011

Dear Robyn29,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Thredbo Alpine Hotel. I am always so pleased to hear from our valued guests about our wonderful team here at the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your comments. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Thanks again,

Reviewed June 27, 2011

We arrived early on Saturday morning after driving 6 hours from Sydney and we were lucky enough to be checked in straight away. We could get changed and unpacked and head straight for the slopes which are located 100 metres from the front desk. AWESOME.
When we got back after skiing from surviving on little less than 1 hour we decided to have a rest for a few hours then head to dinner. This proved difficult, they have a DJ who plays every evening from 4pm - 6pm and the sound couldn’t be blocked out even with earplugs.
The television looked new but wasn’t digital and had really bad reception and picture quality.
On a positive side the room was very warm and the bed very comfortable. It is located very close to the ski fields and the breakfast was nice.
The hotel does need some work but fixing a few little things could add a lot.
I would stay here again as the price was very reasonable but i wouldn’t be able to rate it high just yet.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louise_m2011
TAH_GM, General Manager at Rydges Thredbo Alpine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2011

Dear Louise_M2011,

Thank for taking the time to review the Thredbo Alpine Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of our exceptional location and easy access to the ski lifts. I apologise if the DJ which plays on Fridays and Saturdays only (weather dependant) was an inconvenience. We have had demand for an outdoors Apres Bar but have limited the hours the DJ plays from 4-6pm so that we do not upset any guests, however on this occasion I must apologise that this caused an inconvenience to you. In regards to the television reception, it is an ongoing problem in Thredbo and we are still working on ways to improve the picture quality. Thanks again for your review and I am pleased you will stay with us again.

Regards,

Reviewed June 22, 2011

I usually do not feel the need to react but the “bulldozer review” below has pushed me. Thredbo Alpine Hotel is ALPINE hotel and not *your run-of-the-mill leisure resort* Fortunately.
Yes it is timber building – but this creates/adds to its character and If you ever been in a classic chalet in the Alps – you would know that it is an “all wood affair” too.....
Please do not change its character

We have stayed many times in its walls - in fact I am writing it from the hotel itself. As I said above the Hotel has its “genium loci” There is a room for improvement that's true too, but nothing a fresh coat of pain wouldn't fix (apart from the sauna door handle – that is a disgrace to otherwise fine hotel) – we even have a new carpet for this year.... Rooms are comfortable&warm&well equipped, lounge room downstairs is great, just a pity that we are not allowed to have a real fire anymore.....:-(
Staff is great and helpful (although we had one unpleasant experience this year).
If you like places with character and love skiing/walking/mountain biking or just plain relaxing and are not a lazy, complaining whiner like the reviewer below who cannot walk two flights of stairs then make yourself happy and stay there......
And did I mentioned that the breakfast is warm, full of choices and including great view of the mountain.......

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear thskier,

Thanks for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed the charm and character of of our Alpine Hotel. Thanks for the tip on the Sauna Handle, I have now had that replaced. Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Thredbo in the near future.

Kind Regards,

#5 of 8 in Perisher Valley
Ski Rider Hotel
Ski Rider Hotel
#2 of 8 in Perisher Valley

Been to Rydges Thredbo Alpine Hotel? Share your experiences!