“Easter long weekend, Chris Issac concert”
Review of House of Ullr

House of Ullr
Tahmoor, Australia
“Easter long weekend, Chris Issac concert”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at House of Ullr for the Easter Long weekend and was very impressed with our host Andrew and his lovely manner, the food was excellent as was the atmosphere of the place. There was live music and a wonderful bar with excellent choice, would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms quieter but quiet a few stairs to climb.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharyn T

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We visited the House of Ullr for dinner on Saturday the 2nd of March, and were treated to a dinner that was just so tasty. We all had the steak for main course. It was cooked perfectly to our request of medium rare, and came with potatoes and a fancy spinach sauce. The small restaurant was crowded, but the waiter/owner gave us excellent personalised service.

There was a lovely atmosphere when desserts were brought out - all the diners looked over in awe at the cookie option. Alas, the table behind us ordered the last cookie dessert, so my family and I ordered the chocolate cake option. It can with strawberries, icecream and cookie crumbs - it was delicious!

There was a good drink selection, with wines, beers and ciders.

Overall, we had a lovely night at the House of Ullr, and I would highly recommend it for a dinner while in Thredbo

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank flapjack_the_puffin
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

OMG....what a let-down. We went as part of a special deal and it was a complete waste of time and money.
Anyway, back to the House of Ullr...we had booked on the recommendations it received on the Thredbo site...obviously all fake...we arrived with high hopes, only to be told that the restaurant isn't open in summer except on a Friday and Saturday nights, and then all they had to offer was a "Cook Yourself" meal.
Our room was soooo small, no windows opened, no air conditioning (which I can understand in winter), but I get very hot in summer. I asked the owner who said he had never been asked about wanting to be cooler. He didn't even have an electric fan for me to borrow. My only option was to leave the bathroom window open, which was very tiny.
The tv was so small and only picked up a few channels.
The bathroom was also tiny with a toilet at one end and the shower at the other...the fittings were outdated and antiquated.
We had to park the car several hundred metres from our accommodation, and worried if it had been vandalised while we slept.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SteveL53_13

Travelers are raving about these Thredbo Village hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed here few years ago House of Ullr has a Great location, its located in the main village, it has easy access to shuttle bus for sking, great meals, fun atmosphere in the bar. However it has just OK outdated rooms, so so bathroom. Horrible limited access point to drop off luggage and skis, quite a hike up the stairs on top floors to lug all the gear. Extremely expensive in winter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank misha692
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The location is great for Skiing. The access is very poor. Only enough room to park 1 car to unload, noone unloads quickly either! We scored a room on the top floor which would be great for the view if you could open/close the window properly. The room is cramped, we brought a 19month old, would have to say this place is not family friendly. Walls are paper this, 60 stairs to your room, not so cool after a full day of skiing. The rooms are BASIC! The toilet is too close to the shower. They over use the air fresher in the common areas, it's like trying to cover up taking a huge dump. The one thing that saves this god awfull place is the food/staff, stop in for a meal. Do not stay here!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank FatBob1983
Adelaide River, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I took a standard room for 3 days. It was a bit cozy, but kept very clean. What we enjoyed was that the rooms were serviced everyday. (they came in and made the bed, and changed towels). Really enjoyed the resturant. Great food, and you were able to talk to the chef before hand. (Beef cheeks are highly recomended, soups are excellent) Excellent location and fantastic staff. Recomended for couples and young families. Mabey aske the bar staff to turn music down alittle. We will be back.

Room Tip: Clean. Clean and clean.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2012

When you walk into Ullr you are greeted immediately by a beaming receptionist- Sophie, who was very accommodating (yes, pun intended).

My first point would be that the staff are what really makes this place a cut above the rest. Whether you enjoy discussing Johnny Cash with the owner, Andrew, to modern literature and film with the bartender/housekeeper Hannah, you will find someone who will give you the time of day to take an interest in your ramblings and give you their piece! (I speak not just of my own experiences here!) The staff at Ullr are known to knock off work and have a couple of drinks at the in-house bar located downstairs adjoining the lobby, so in this respect it gives the place a very down to earth atmosphere. They won't hesitate to inform you what is best to eat at the restaurant located on the south east quadrant of the establishment, although often this can result in a culinary debate between all involved, which inevitably results in some good laughter and slapstick.

The bar comes alive most evenings from about 8:30 onwards and serves as the local village waterhole with live music and karaoke on Wednesdays. It's a great place to pick the brains of the townsfolk regarding good places to dine, ski, trek etc. I do not personally agree with a previous comment regarding the noise from the bar: I personally found that from my room on the 2nd floor on the north western corner I was not disturbed, so if you are concerned about the kiddies get wing awoken by the likes of Bob Dylan and Jack Johnson at bedtime then ask for room 10. This is the only one I can personally vouch for.

I only dined in the restaurant twice but the meals I had were very nice. I personally recommend the calamari with chorizo and lime salt. Very tasty. There is a grill where you can cook an assortment of meats. I thought this would be quite entertaining for the kids; I'm a bit of a kid myself at times!

My only piece of constructive criticism would be that I think a common room would be a great addition to the place. Maybe a setup in the bar during the day time?? Although most days you will be out on the slopes anyway, I just like to read and be around the staff!

I hope this helps with your next visit to Thredbo. I had a good experience and I hope that this carries for you as well.

Lorcan Young