“Bruce H, Great location”
Review of Candlelight Lodge

Candlelight Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Thredbo Village
Sydney, Australia
“Bruce H, Great location”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights in this cosy lodge to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. This is where we stayed 40 years ago on our honeymoon. Very comfortable rooms with great views over the slopes, friendly staff who couldn't do more for us making us and all guests feeling very special. Fantastic food in the cosy restaurant with very efficient staff. Handy walk to village and chairlifts. Don't think we will wait another 40 years to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bruce19512099
JohnEDI, Manager at Candlelight Lodge, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comments. It was such a privilege to have you stay at Candlelight on your 40th Wedding Anniversary. It was fantastic to hear your accounts of what has changed at the lodge and what you remember from your first visit here. We especially loved looking at all the photo's you brought with you too.
Looking forward to your next visit to Candlelight, in the very near future I hope.
Kind Regards
Alison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

This lodge had a European style, lots of wood on the walls, it is very cosy. The staff is very friendly, especially in the restaurant. The food is great, loved the fondue. The selection of schnapps is probably the best in Thredbo.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Claudia M
Adelaide
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We spent 2 nights here passing through on our way home from Canberra. We had the family room and we were thrilled when we saw it, it was far roomier than it appeared when booked online. The place was clean, warm and the beds were very comfortable. Like another review here a microwave may have been an added bonus, but we had tea and coffee making facilities including mugs and glasses. The view from our balcony was superb , and in the mornings the coninental breakfast overlooking the mountains was gorgeous. It reminds you of a little Swiss chalet. The lodge is also walking distance to the main village and ski lifts. It is an older residence compared to some but thats what gives it the charm. The staff were wonderful, very friendly and helpful? We would def return for a longer stay.

Room Tip: There are no lifts by the looks so if you have lots of luggage you might discuss room options when b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I booked three nights so we could go bushwalking around the area. The rooms were a good size and the beds were comfy especially after all that walking, and we had a great view of the mountains. The atmosphere of the place was great, it's like being in a European alpine lodge. There was a mix up at the begining about the type of room we had book but it was quickly sorted. The continental breakfast was good and it was nice (as someone who likes peppermint tea) that they gave you different tea varieties to choose from. Being close to the centre of town we had access to everything we needed and it wasn't a long walk to the river so we could stroll along in the evenings which was a pleasent way to end the day. All in all a great place to stay, definetly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
adelaide
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Thank you Andrew and Allison for my recent wonderful stay at the Candlelight Lodge in Thredbo, Australia.
The property had a nostalgic, Alpine atmosphere that created a warm first impression on arrival.
My room was spacious and well appointed , comfy and warm, and I had a door onto a balcony with a sweeping view of the mountains and chairlifts.
The lodge was very convenient to all facilities in the village and I was able to park my car outside as it was low season.
Allison and Andrew were very helpful with facilities that were available and walking tips too.
I appreciated the generous Continental breakfast to start the day off. It was served in the dining room, once again with a great view.
I found Candlelight perfect for a quiet Autumn holiday and highly recommend it at this time of year.
Thanks for turning on the snowfall on my last morning there ... a perfect finale.
I'll be back.
Eddy Mc Donnell

Room Tip: choose lower floors if carrying heavy bags
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a family room for a couple with a child during the ski season last year. The room was clean and had openable windows, which was great to get the crisp winter air in in the morning. Our room also had a wonderful view of the slopes - just magic. The beds were OK, we were pretty exhausted after skiing (snow was fantastic) so we would not notice any luxuries anyway. The host made a considerable effort to make the stay special including selecting and offering DVDs for our daughter for whom TV is a big novelty (we don't own a TV), offering advice about free shuttles, where to eat, where to drink etc. No request was too small and we always felt we were looked after. The meals were delicious - just right for us, and we wanted for nothing. You could fare much worse and spend a fortune meals wise in Thredbo during the ski season, and I recommend going there for a meal if not staying.

However, due to a reconciliation error, our separate transfer for an extra night was not identified. We were overcharged, because husband inadvertently paid twice thinking he was paying for meals when it came time to fix the account. I sent all the confirmation details of the transfer to the person who I was later informed stopped working there, then to someone else and eventually I gave up asking for a refund. The amount was around $300, and while it's not all that much, I was very disappointed that it happened and it should not have happened in the first place. We left a $50 bottle of wine in the room and it would have been a sufficient tip.

I would stay there again notwithstanding the rip-off because it has a great atmosphere. But I recommend to all visitors to check and double check the amounts they are paying. I would probably rate it 5/5 had it not been for their error.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kat B
JohnEDI, Owner at Candlelight Lodge, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hello Kat B and thanks for your note. This reconciliation error last September is all news to me at this later stage but if you are reading this I would encourage you to contact me directly via john@candlelightlodge.com.au and I can go over this with you and set any error right. Candlelight management was a little overwhelmed in the busy period of last September with some staffing shortages however these issues have since been rectified and we are back to running with a top notch management outfit again so lets set this one right for you. I am hoping that you are notified of this review but if not outside of this review I have a feeling that I know which booking that you are referring to so I we don't hear from you then I will make phone contact with who I believe this enquiry has originated.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had a family trip via Candlelight Lodge at Thredbo over Easter. All up, a very pleasant experience, enhanced by our most helpful hosts Andrew and Allison. They were very welcoming, couldnt help enough and seemed really suited to running a warm inn to stay.

Breakfast was cereal, toast and fruit - basic but plentiful, the rooms had enough space for two kids & two adults, and given the season, we were fortunate on the parking.

Its difficult to assess it fully as it was off-season but I think the positives would work in winter (except the parking I suspect). The only addition to the rooms I thought would be helpful would be a small microwave to make the occasional meal or treat. This becomes increasingly important given the enormous cost of everything in ski towns: $5 for a very modest coffee ? The Leisure Centre was the only gym I could find in the town so perhaps if Candlelight Lodge had that, all bases would be covered.

I think it works very well in the summer given the spectacular aspect and that the crowds are down. Candlelight Lodge is close to just about everything which makes walking quite viable. The cafe, Altitude 1290 close by made a great coffee and they had quite a friendly rapport with all customers. Not too many positives I could add about the pizza shop Al Fresco other than they must be doing well if they dont need to worry about their products or services.

Candelight Lodge was a very good spot in my view for families to have a holiday.

Room Tip: Anything facing the slopes
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family