“4wks wait to get your money released from a pre-authorisation”

Oaks Waterfront Resort The Entrance
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in The Entrance
Sydney, Australia
“4wks wait to get your money released from a pre-authorisation”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Hotel has gone downhill since our last stay in 2010. Room was spacious although I did find hairs in the shower. Food is great in the restaurant downstairs. I found the receptionist to be quite rude speaking to other colleagues in the back office behind the reception desk and me having to say excuse me twice before being attended to. Worse part is they demand a credit card pre-authorisation which is pretty much the norm these days but I was told that it would be up to 4 weeks before my funds were released....that is a sham!! Also the so called ocean front views are a distant view of the ocean and a view of the lagoon which has dead rotting and smelling seaweed floating on top. I am a timeshare owner and have stayed here many times throughout the years...and I can definitely see a decline in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed at Oaks Waterfront at The Entrance for a weekend about 7 yrs ago and had a pleasant time, so booked again thinking it would still be good. First impressions went like this: a hotel that looks like it is crumbling away, then a request for payment (though I had pre-paid), a request for a "damage bond", (what sort of people stay here I wondered), being advised $15 parking fee applies even for guests and finally being given a disabled room. Why I don't know, but they changed rooms when we asked. An overall poor first impression. Apparently they are in litigation with the builder to fix the problems with the building. Signs say the renovations will commence this month. The bed was quite good, however the noise factor is very, very high - the pub next door I think. We stayed on a Friday night, maybe it would be OK mid week. The hotel actually suits The Entrance in that it is a bit tired & jaded looking in the summer sun, and grotty & seedy at night. My advice would be to skip this part of the central coast altogether.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AshwoodSydney
Sydney
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I stayed at the Oaks for my birthday weekend. On first appearance, everything seemed fine, but that was short lived.

The shower had hairs in it, the jet on the bath blew off, there were "little" hairs in the bed and when we came to cooking, the pan had not been cleaned in what looked like years. We had to wash everything before we used it.

Also, when using the dryer, found to my dismay, that it had someone else's underpants in there. There was so much dust underneath the sink that I don't think the floor had ever seen a mop.

When asking the staff a simple question, I felt as though they could not be bothered. There was one particular girl on reception that seemed particularly stressed all of the time and never smiled. Everything seemed just too hard.

I really enjoyed The Entrance but on our next visit, we will definitely be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kyliemmillar

Travelers are raving about these The Entrance hotels

Hamilton
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Lovely location. The views on the seaward side of the resort are awesome. Good sized room clean and comfortable. staff were friendly.
Can't recommend the resturant however although it is not part of the resort. one meal of Salmon was very poor and staff had no ability to resolve the issue. Stay at the resort but find somewhere else to eat.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Gazzahamilton
Main Beach, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2010

For 220 a night we had a room which had been affected by a water leak the carpets were damp the room franks of musk and we had cockroaches

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank JudyGraham
Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Having booked our room over the phone I was pleasantly surprised when our confirmation was received that the quoted price had dropped by $70.00. We then decided to book an extra night and asked for a water view. The extra night was available but not the water view
which was okay with us as we were going to be out of the room a lot. We were greeted quite well by reception, when we found it, and were informed that we could park our car in the resorts facility for $15.00 a night or for free across the road. I found this a strange way of promoting their establishment. Our room was reasonable but the view was of car parks and the Waldorf, and was extremely noisy. The noise continued inside with doors slamming and conversations being very audible hence our poor sleep quality. This wasn't helped by reception ringing us at 4.30am to inform us there was a man dressed in a towel wanting us to let him in!!!! We were not impressed, however when asked they let us have an extra 30 min. on a late checkout the following morning. Our room was not serviced and when we queried this we were told we had not paid the service rate. This is something I have never experienced before. The Oaks is in an ideal location however I would not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suchfun01
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights midweek & were very happy.

After reading previous reviews I walked up to the check in with some trepidation, expecting to encounter the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld....... The girl who checked us in could not have been nicer-in fact, every time we walked through the reception area we were acknowledged by the staff with a smile or a hello.

We had a 1 bedroom apartment on the 5th floor-it was spotlessly clean, the bed was really comfortable. The kitchen facilities were basic but adequate if you want to cook simple meals.

The pool area was very nice- some tiles missing, big deal! It was clean, a lovely temperature, & plenty of chairs & shaded areas.

Yes, the balcony view consisted of the pool area, The Waldorf right next door & the lake was way out in the distance-not the greatest view & no privacy at all, so dont sit out there & have your morning coffee in your PJ's if you're at all shy!

Thanks to the person who advised parking underneath The Waldorf too-thats what we did, no problem at all & saved $15 a day!

I would stay at The Oaks again-but I worry a bit about the future of The Entrance-it seems its quieter & more businesses have closed down every time we go there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Ocean Front Motel
#3 of 9 in The Entrance
Pullman Magenta Shores Resort
Mercure Kooindah Waters Central Coast

Been to Oaks Waterfront Resort The Entrance? Share your experiences!