“Great Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in The Entrance
Newcastle, Australia
“Great Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I spent 5 days at this resort and had a fantastic holiday! The appartment was immaculatly clean and very spacious,all facilities worked fine and the view from my balcony over looking the water was spectacular!The staff were all very friendly and helpful,was an absolute pleasure staying there and are planning to return again in the next holidays,can,t thank Perfect Short Breaks enough for their fabulous deal.

Room Tip: Great deals for this resort from Perfect Short Breaks
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OaksWaterfront, Manager at Oaks Waterfront Resort The Entrance, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent 5 day stay at Oaks Waterfront. It was fantastic to read you enjoyed your stay finding the apartments to be clean and the staff to be very friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Waterfront Resort in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Oaks is in a very nice location close to the sea. Had an ocean view room. The room was very old and showed it's age everywhere: worn down carpets, dirt spots aso. Air conditioner did not work. Complaint to reception and promised they will inform maintenance. But nothing happened for 4 days. Not worth he money I have paid for. Renovation is going on since 2010!!! How long can it take to get the job done?? Would choose another hotel when traveling into this area. Can only agree on previous reviews about the condition of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Rosolaccio
OaksWaterfront, Manager at Oaks Waterfront Resort The Entrance, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Many thanks for providing feedback from you recent stay. As I’m sure you can appreciate the building rectification works is an ongoing processes which will take a number of year to complete. My apologies that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion, but do hope you will return to the Entrance in the future.

Travelers are raving about these The Entrance hotels

sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Have stayed here 4 times, I just love the location & what The Entrance has to offer. We stayed from 24th January for 4 nights, in a one bedroom water view. The view was lovely from the balcony apart from the fact that we were in Room 105, which as it was over the awning at the front of the hotel had a ledge in front of the balcony that was coverered in pebbles & also a whole lot of rubbish that was obviously thrown from balconies above. I rang reception and asked if the rubbish which consisted of poppa juices, cotton buds, those popper things with streamers which must have been there from NYE and other stuff, the girl said they were trying to get a contracter in to clean it up as their staff could not go out on the ledge as they did not have a proper harness.Ok, will live with it then, BUT then when we sitting outside having a drink a hairbrush comes from upstairs, then bread, chips, ok, ring reception & ask if they can ring the units above us & ask them to stop throwing their rubbish down, as then of course when it got dark the ledge was crawling with cockroaches enjoying the bread & other food out there. To make it worse , next thing a waterfall suddenly appears, as the woman above was wringing out her clothes onto our balcony. Well that was the last straw for me, rang reception again & asked for the manger & was told she would be in at 7.30am. So the next morning I spoke with her who just apologised!!! and said she would get someone to clean the area & spray it, which they did, so the next night even though there were cockroaches there were not as many crawling around out there, but we got another shower of water from above, which this time I let the woman above know what I thought and told here she had a bathroom to do that it.Apart from the balcony issue the room was clean & fullfilled all our needs.My other complaint is ( I dont usually complain but for what I paid I expected to enjoy my 4 nights) was the lack of respect other guests have at this time of the year. The pool area needs to be supervised. There were grown men bombing & doing sommersaults in the pool with no regard to other guests. The pool area in the afternoon was disgusting, food & rubbish just thrown on the ground. I never used the spa , it states children under 6 not allowed in the spa, but everyday it was full of babies with nappies on, no babies I saw had the proper swim pants that they should wear when using public pool areas,so I hate to think what could have been under all that foam, and the Gym area states no children under 16, well there were kids running from the pool soaking wet having great fun on the treadmill & other machines in there.Oaks you really need a staff member up at the pool area.I will say the staff were friendy , but not very helpful.Also do not stay in Room 105 for the above reasons, though we had a fantatic view of the Australia Day fireworks from our balcony. Not sure If I will come & stay again, maybe time to look for somewhere new

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for commenting on your stay with us. It is disappointing to read of the behavior you encountered from other guests. I have taken your comments on board to help improve our services and standards.
It was good to read the room was clean and met your needs. We do hope you will join us again in the future.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed in a studio apartment 117 for 3 nights and 2 days. The location to downtown The Entrance was good as we were able to go for walks and experience the Australia day festivities. However, I knew there was something wrong about this hotel when checked in. The staff at the reception desk seemed to be friendly. However, when checking in, we were disrupted by other people staying in making enquiries, resulting in the checking in process much longer. Our paperwork advised that we would have two swipe cards to get to our studio apartment/room however, we only received one.

Our beds: as a couple, the hotel offered two single beds pushed together. Making this uncomfortable to sleep with a gap in the middle.

We were advised that the apartment would be unserviced, which would be fine for us. However, we found mould in the corner of the apartment hidden by the couch and also a cockroach and a condom wrapper under the tv unit. My partner also stepped on some broken glass that had been stuck in the carpet. The carpet was also damp on arrival, most likely due to the previous tenants ...

The only good thing about the apartment was the use of the kitchenette. We use the kitchenette facilities in the room for our breakfast needs. As advised by the plaque on the wall, 'make sure you ventilate the room', we open our door and even turned on the air conditioning but yet received two calls to ask if we were okay because the smoke detector has been activated. The utensils that were provided were average quality and we made sure that we cleaned what we used. As read in a previous review, that customers had been charged due to utensils not being satisfactorily cleaned.

Now, I'm just hoping to get my security deposit back, as I have read that it takes a week to return ...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank A P
OaksWaterfront, Manager at Oaks Waterfront Resort The Entrance, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Many thanks for commenting on your stay at Oaks Waterfront. We’re glad you found the location of the building to be convenient and enjoyed the Australia Day festivities.
Unfortunately all studio apartments have a king zip bed which allows us to accommodate those requiring separate bedding. It is disappointing to read of the cleanliness of the apartment. The issues raised have been addressed with the housekeeping department so appropriate processes and procedures can be implemented to work towards ensuring we do not have these problems again.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

What a disappointment! $220 for a room with a mouldy bathroom, a television that had lost its colour and slamming doors 24/7. As well as $15 parking in a secure car park with no working lifts.
At 10.30pm I decided enough was enough when children were screaming up and down the hallways and parents shouting loudly, I called reception to see if there was anything that could be done only to have no answer from the 24hr service.
The only thing going for this hotel is the location, value for money and good customer service are non existent. Also be sure to put wet towels back into the mouldy bathroom and wash up all dishes otherwise you may incur a $50 charge (what a cheek!) i can honestly say I will NEVER stay at The Oaks again and certainly wont be recommending this hotel to others. I could have spent $199 on a beautifully clean modern room down the road at Magenta Shores.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Pmb193
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay at Oaks Waterfront.
I refer to your feedback and was most disappointed to read of the experience you encountered.
I know we can not fix what happened in the past but would like to make sure that your next stay at Oaks Waterfront Resort will be a much more memorable visit if you choose to return. If you wish to further discuss the issues raised please contact me directly at hmwaterfront@theoaksgroup.com.au.
Curlewis, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment for 3 days. The location to downtown The Entrance was very good - able to go for walks and shopping in non Westfield resulted in some unusual/different treasures.
The pool was very good, though quite packed at this time of the year so not overly relaxing.
Was disappointed with the cleanliness of the apartment - cobwebs and sand in the carpet..but have stayed in worse!
Value for money...not really, especially when the only choice to book is credit card and they charge an additional 1.5%, but one has no choice but to pay it!! Car parking was a bit expensive.
Place was hard to locate, and they didnt offer any directions to help find the front door when booking

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at Oaks Waterfront. As with all comments we take your feedback very seriously and was most disappointed to read of the cleanliness of the apartment. The issues raised have been addressed with housekeeping to ensure we do not have these problems again.
Unfortunately all banks charge us a credit card service fee and Oaks Hotels and Resorts can no longer absorb these costs. When booking in advance there are the options of transferring funds or paying via cheque, please note funds must be cleared prior to arrival date. Alternatively paying via eftpos instead of credit card will not attract a service fee.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

1st let me say that Perfect Shirt Breaks deals are not worth a dollar.

2nd, Oaks Waterfront Resort, is not even 1 star. I have stayed in motels that have better cleaning and furniture.

Customer service is excellent, same goes to the location, but that is about all you would like there. Apartments are small, hallways smell like mould, carpet is too old, sofa is disgusting with marks, curtains are stained and have never been washed, toilets are outdated, kitchen is tiny and old, the balcony is dirty and spider webs everywhere... What else can you say?

I bet that management had never stepped foot in Apartment 425, and I have no idea how they would make it available for guests.

We booked 3 nights, but managed to sleep there only 2. I didn't use the resorts' parking, no need, since council parking few meters away for free with unlimited parking.

I would never stay in any Oaks property again. If I ever go up the entrance way, I would stay in the Quay West Magenta shore 8 minutes away, totally worth it.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Regulertraveller
Thank you for taking to time to comment of your recent stay. It was disappointing to read the apartment did not meet your expectations. We have addressed these issues with the housekeeping department and appropriate steps put in place to work towards ensuring we do not have these problems again.
We’re glad you enjoyed the location of the building and found the staff customer service to be excellent. We do hope you will join us again at Oaks Waterfront.
Also consider these accommodations in or near The Entrance
Pullman Magenta Shores Resort
Ocean Front Motel
Ocean Front Motel
#3 of 9 in The Entrance

Been to Oaks Waterfront Resort The Entrance? Share your experiences!