“Hidden gem, top steak & unique menu”

Bar Cantina - Mi Cantina
Ranked #19 of 101 Restaurants in The Entrance
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

First post after landing a job which will see me in the road and eating out a fair bit.

I stummbled across this place, just looking for a drink after work.

The owner invited me to try out the " lobster tail "and fillet and tell him how much I would pay as it's a new dish on the menu.

I ordered a few Tapas while I waited as the open kitchen gets your appetite going.

The dish comes out and I thought 'wow more than I expected'. A lobster tail on mash and a nice juicy fillet on the side. I decided to pace myself.

Being partial to 'surf & turf' I would have expected $65-$70, but he has decided to use it as a 'draw card' dish at $55... Definitely heading back next time I'm around.

So, overall had a great meal and paid less than I expected.

There are newer reviews for Bar Cantina - Mi Cantina

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Great friendly staff, ask for the prawns and chorizo with cream sauce. The Strawberry Caprioska cocktail is fabulous.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Went here with visiting friends, had afternoon tea, the Spanish coffees were perfect as was the churros and franjelico chocolate dipping sauce, perfect finish to a great day with our guests, we have lived in the area for seven years and never been in this place, so glad we found it, we rate it now as a fave and will visit more often for some great Latino / Spanish food and hospitality, by the way the waiters can also speak Spanish .... Enjoy ole!!!!!!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

This amazing little restaurant is TO DIE FOR!!!! It is little known and hardly ever busy and is one of the best restaurants, food-wise on the Central Coast. The service is excellent, the food is amazing, the wine is great and the music they have some nights makes for an all-round great night out. Love, love, love!!!

Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband reserved a table for my birthday last night - after reading the reviews I was excited, I thought that finally we had found a place that would remind me of home. I am Spanish, born and bred and I can safely say that it is probably the worst paella I have ever had. Unfortunately that is not all that went wrong.
As we were about to sit down we were asked if we wanted a drink, but we hadn't even looked at the menu yet, so we asked for two minutes. After a long 20-25 minutes, the waitress came back and took our order. By this point, we were already upset about the long wait plus knowing that two other tables that were seated after us (one of them was a large group) had already been served their drinks and they were now waiting for their food - so when one of the entrees we ordered wasn't available, we didn't want to get a substitute.
The food took about half hour to come and for some unknown reason, our entrée and main came together when we hadn't asked for it like that? To be fair, the entrée was really nice and had good flavours. The paella unfortunately was not good at all - you could tell it had been cooked in a bigger pot and then served in the paella pan - it was tepid (which I assume is from it being transferred from a larger pan into this cold paella pan) the flavours were not right and actually it should not be called paella if it is not going to be cooked in a paella pan - which is where the dish gets its name from. It was actually just a rice dish with prawns and chicken.
We did get asked if everything was ok and I know they sensed it wasn't. The waitress did apologize for the long wait, but unfortunately the restaurant wasn't that busy, so I don't think there was an excuse really.
We ate and left without even looking at the dessert menu. When paying for our bill we did give some feedback and he was apologetic - he even acknowledged the fact that it wasn't that busy so our experience shouldn't have been like that. To be fair, we were told that if we ever went back they would try to make it up to us - and we may one day. I just think that food should be consistent every day and if you go one day and then go a month after, the flavours should be the same both times. I do not mean to be rude (just trying to give my honest opinion), but that paella does need a little more work in order to be called a paella and for it to resemble the flavours of one of Spain's most traditional dishes.

Mi_Cantina, Owner at Bar Cantina - Mi Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Hi, thank you for your feedback, it is important to us. I would like to take the opportunity and clarify a few things. the two large tables were on a pre ordered menu, all you can eat for a set price, which you were offered to take part off. we normally offer drinks while seated in case some people know what they are after so no need to wait. your order was taken, 4 entrée dishes and 12 mains! the waitress assumed it was to be served all at once and I delayed everyone else (45 customers yet you say it wasn't busy) in efforts to serve you all at the same time, coordinating grill, pans, kids meals and oven dishes to ensure no one is being served before the other. you then advise it was to be entrée to be shared. I compensated straight away by replacing the missing dish - chicken tenderloins instead of wings at no charge, extra garlic prawns as one came too early, meatballs at no charge and more... - the paella is cooked to order! not in a big pot, one guy from your table even came to look and saw 5 paellas in 5 pans cooked individually as you would! - I can not serve in the cooking pan for safety reasons as it will be too hot to handle, the decision was made to serve in a secondary dish. happy to serve as cooked any time on request! we asked if everything was okay after the entrée with mains was sorted and you all said: "thank you everything is great." - my inexperienced waitress gave you the wrong bill, short by $200! you were quick to pay that and leave, saying thank you and you will be back! when contacted and asked to pay the rest you refused and hung up the phone! then you choose to write a review criticising all the efforts that were put in place to please you. next time pay your bill and voice your honest opinion while people are there to serve you!