“Not really a restaurant”

Pelican's Wharf Family Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 97 Restaurants in The Entrance
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
Description: Seafood Restaurant in a unique Atmosphere right on the Lake. Boat Hire available, Bait and Tackle, Takeaway and Fish Co-op. Come see The Pirates try to guard this Treasure for Breakfast and Lunch Dining. Now open Friday and Saturday evenings. Bookings are essential. functions of 20 or more people. We are open from 8.30am. NOW WITH OUR NEW CHEF AND NEW MENUs. See pics of our delicious filling meals.
Sydney, Australia
“Not really a restaurant”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The mistake I made from the name and other reviews was that this was a restaurant. Not. It is a takeaway place that for a premium will put your food on a plate and let you sit at a table. You order from a menu board out the front and select your drinks from a fridge. Unlike a restaurant there is no printed menu, no table service and much to my disappoint no entrées or deserts. I was really hoping to start with some nice prawns, oysters, mussels or even a chowder. For toilets it is use the public toilet in the carpark - yuk ! The tables are "rustic" or mismatched old furniture and located in an enclosed verandah. What makes it special is the great views across the lake.
Having said that the food was pretty good and the service friendly. We ordered 2 barramundi and a flathead and all were fresh fish, as promised. All too common to find frozen fish even in a fishmonger these days. My barra was nicely cooked in lemon and when my son asked me how it was I said it could have used a little chilli or something to spice it up. He said it was great and I had spent to long in Asia eating seafood. He was right. The flathead was a smallish serve but another fillet would have made it a big serve. We ordered a side of chips for all to share and struggled to get through them.
I did not think it was cheap. I can probably get a better deal in a pub or club but I did not feel ripped off either.
Overall it is the views and the laid back atmosphere that make the place but next time I would probably get takeaway and find a spot in the park adjacent.

• Visited September 2013

Gosford, New South Wales, Australia
“Rustic ,fresh food and great atmosphere and affordable”
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Great afternoon with family the kids of all ages fed the pelicans .music was lovely and great atmosphere ,lovely afternoon .

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Saffron G
“Best experience had in a long time”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Dined in with friends last night. We sat by the water for a magnificent sunset and ordered a seafood platter for 2, Salt and pepper chilli calamari, and a barramundi due. All the dishes were beautifully presented and tasted amazing. The service was very friendly. Was a great kick start to our Saturday night :-)

Tessa S

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank TessaTS
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My beak holds more than my belly can when I dine at Pelican Wharf, sadly.”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have dined here six times in six weeks and have never been disappointed. The hoki fish and chips is very tasty and there has not been a drop of oil left on the plate (from the batter). However their seafood platter is what spending a lazy lunch with friends is all about, so good. It would be wonderful to be able to have a glass of wine or water, and watch the sunset but this can only happen on Saturday nights. The rustic surrounds and atmosphere has a charm of its own and goes with the surroundings ie water views and bird life. ..Another good factor is you can park right outside the front door.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Kay M
AngelaClarke, Manager at Pelican's Wharf Family Restaurant, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, Next time you come to Pelicans Wharf please let us know you gave this review and we will treat you. Looking forward to meeting you. Thank again
Gosford, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Looks can be deceiving”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great food , polite staff, what more can you ask for at a resturant. Eating at the waters edge on a sunny sunday bliss.

• Visited March 2013