“I wish I had read reviews before eating here”
Review of Red Centre Steakhouse - CLOSED

Red Centre Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Newcastle, Australia
“I wish I had read reviews before eating here”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Staff chatting away as we walk in and wait to be seated. Promptly ordered drinks and had a look at the menu. The prices are ridiculous for a steak, the cheapest ~$25 but gravy/sauce is extra ~$3. Ordered lunch and still no drinks. As our entree came out (prices very high for small portions) our drinks finally came (~30mins in the restaurant so far)
Mains came out at a reasonable time. Nothing special about the steak, veggies and chips - poorly cooked, rock hard and charcoal tasting. I could pick up the same size steak (cooked nicer) for $10 on special at my local tavern! Meals finished and I notified the staff that we would like to order coffee/dessert as no one had come to clean the table yet (we had presents to exchange)... After 15 mins no one came to take our order or even clean the table! Finally we ordered coffee and the waitress went to leave without cleaning the table - I promptly asked for her to please do so. 2 of the 3 coffees came out after 15-20 mins, the next, 5 mins later as we saw it sit on the counter with 3 girls looking at it 'not my job..'. The bill overpriced to say the least and definitely would not waste my time here again, let alone the dissapointing service and food ... Especially not recommended for special occasions..

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Little_Miss111

Sydney, Australia
“Prices dont match quality”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went here for dinner one night whilst staying at the Entrance and were left feeling very unsatisfied. My partner ordered the Lamb cutlets that I must say were cooked to perfection, however I ordered the ribs which were a big disappointment. The sauce was horrible and they looked like they were off a piglet. the food comes across as "fast food" however the pricing is ridiculous! The staff were very friendly.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kimy_Baby
Sydney, Australia
“Many other better places to eat.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Walked into this restaurant from the foyer of our hotel.....first mistake.!! A sign asks for you to wait to be seated......staff too busy laughing and chatting at the register to notice us....had to find waitress to order food, waited far too long for our over priced meal. Coffee was good however when it actually arrived.!!!

We, needless to say didn't go back...such a shame cause the location is great...

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Maddy123123
Sydney Australia
“Thanks for informing us there's a $3 per person Sunday 'Adult Surcharge'!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

After an enjoyable Sunday walk on the Heritage Way and a stroll along the Promenade we decided it was time for some coffee and cake. We stepped into the Red Centre Steakhouse.

The coffee and cake were good but a surprise awaited us when we got the bill - each person was charged an 'adult surcharge' of $3! Good grief! At no time were we told that our bill would be inflated by 30% and we didn't see any mention of this on the menu.

The decor is supposed to depict the outback but is a poor representation and does nothing for the ambience. I hope that our overseas visitors don't get put off going to the real Red Centre based on the depictions on the walls!

There are far better eating (and coffee and cake) cafes around the area as we found out the following day.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank WellTravelledAussie2
Moree, Australia
“Right on the water.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely dinner for two - we were initially worried because a large party ordered their meals just before us, but we got our meal promptly and with great service. Food was not high cuisine but then we were just looking for somewhere to eat - not a 'cordon bleu' experience.

• Visited February 2013