“Amazing View Plus Good Food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cowrie

The Cowrie
Ranked #4 of 77 Restaurants in Terrigal
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Cowrie RestaurantThe Cowrie Restaurant in Terrigal provides fine dining service and has earned award winnning status for the past 35 years.Renowned as one of the finest seafood restaurants in New South Wales, it consistently delights guests with a truly unique dining experience and is open 7 days for lunch from 12pm and dinner from 6pm.The Cowrie offers a spectacular location, set high in the hills of Terrigal, with panoramic views over Terrigal Beach and the Pacific Ocean.Combining professional service and a menu specialising in fresh local seafood, we have created a very special ambience.We offer many facilities and services that appeal to a diverse visitor market, including complimentary shuttle service and function facilities
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing View Plus Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Cowrie is perched on top of the hill overlooking Terrigal with endless views across the Pacific. Food is good and the fixed price menu offering 2 or 3 courses is pretty well priced. Wine is a little pricey and service a bit erratic.....but the view on a gorgeous day makes it easy to forgive

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pjb1803

Brisbane, Australia
“Fabulous high end food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Where do I start reviewing this establishment; it's a small restaurant set high up overlooking Terrigal and surrounding areas. Parking could I think be a little tricky but due to the small size of the establishment it isn't too much of a problem.
The staff were friendly, welcoming and attentive. The service was excellent with a good menu and a small but comprehensive wine list. Tables were well and correctly set.

To test the quality of their food we all ordered their Tasting (degustation) Menu and that was an absolutely outstanding delight.
Course 1 - Southern blue fin tune with sweet crackling pork,
Course 2 - Slipper lobster and Gulf prawns in golden noodles, chilli lime caramel,
Course 3 - Southern highlands squab, sea scallop, swede, smoked speck bacon & bastilla,
Course 4 - Roasted Tasmanian beef: beef cheek, cabernet beetroot, goat's curd & root vegetable sauce,
Aloe Vera Granita as a palate cleanser,
Course 5 - Sweet Indulgence Plate
Finished with an optional cheese plate which some of us had.

I would have to say that my favourite was the Slipper lobster & Gulf prawns in golden noodles and amongst the deserts that made up the sweet indulgence plate it had to be the ricotta cheesecake.
The quality of the food blew me away. I would certainly have expected this standard of cuisine if I was dining at Quay, Aria, Rockpool or Universal in Sydney but it was totally unexpected on the Central Coast and in a suburban restaurant. In our party we had a chef who used to work in one of Sydney's top Michelin Restaurants and he was also very impressed with this food.
I'll be back again and next time for lunch to checkout the view by day.

3 Thank Alex C
Sydney, Australia
“Great view interesting food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

On holidays, we wanted to revisit this restaurant, the price has certainly increased substantially since our last visit several years ago, food was very good.interesting, view is exceptional, service they were lovely & friendly, but at those prices you shouldn't have to pour your own wine.wine let is limited. Happy to have gone, not happy with price, no need to go back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
“One of the best meals I have had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have read some reviews of this restaurant before going and was umming arring as to whether or not to book but I went with my gut feeling and I am so glad I did. We went on a Sunday night and I had requested a window seat as it was my girlfriends 30th birthday. The view was amazing but not as amazing as the food, the service was also really good and waitress and host Grant were both super friendly, I generally go with what is recommended and the way she explained the food had my mouth watering and we went with Blueberry Kangaroo and slipper Prawns and gulf lobster and prawn noodles for entrée’s, then the Roasted Tasmanian wilderness beef and Organic Rare Breed pork dishes for the mains followed by Dark Chocolate and Cardamom Crème Brulee and Raspberry, Pistachio, Clementine and Goats Cheese Gelato Cassata with Toasted Meringue. We also got matching wines which really went well with all the food. Add a couple more wines and some sides and it came to just over $300 which I thought was pretty good considering the quality of the food, I would go there again in a heartbeat if I was up in Terrigal again!!!

Audlem, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had the $48 lunch menu and I chose prawns to start followed by blue eye cod. Both dishes were superb in both presentation and taste. The location is fantastic and I would love to go again and enjoy dinner. A special thanks to Australian friends Derek and Rochelle for introducing and treating us to this fantastic restaurant.