“Not even ok”

Ranked #58 of 81 Restaurants in Terrigal
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Where do I start? Management needs to know that an enviable location and a passable menu will not guarantee patrons will return. Nobody expects to be treated like royalty but it would be nice to be treated with civility. When the manager was informed that her corkage policy contravenes liquor acts in most developed nations she did not bat an eyelid. Nor were we told that why ours was the only table not to receive table service. Staff made us feel not just unwelcome but an inconvenience. Next time we stay in Terrigal we will buy a chook from the local takeaway and enjoy it in the relative luxury of our resort room, and spare this cafe the inconvenience of paying customers. Good luck attracting international patrons with service that falls well short of third world standards.

7  Thank Susie K
There are newer reviews for Haven Beach Cafe Restaurant

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Haven Beach Cafe has a great location and the advantage of being BYO. The food is OK, not great. The service is awful; one (apparently) inexperienced, and seemingly unhappy waitress is made to look good by the "senior" who is indifferent, bordering on rude. The self-serve water bottles had foreign matter floating in them. When this was raised as an issue she advised that "it's filtered water". This was followed by an undertaking to throw out two bottles. There was no apology for this potential health risk. Before we left the cafe there were still at least two bottles with sediment in the bottom ready for unwitting victims to consume.
Previous experience was consistent with this visit- OK food spoiled by a manager who takes custom for granted. I won't be back until I see the "Under New Management" banner. Allowing other patrons to have two large , occasionally barking dogs at their table did affect the "ambience" a bit too.

4  Thank SchultzWamberal
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stopped here for take away fish and chips as the location was wonderful alongside the beach and sea ....It also had the ramp for the fishermen to bring their catch up the sinks for washing and selling.....There was two pelicans who looked as if they knew something we didnt.....So we thought we would sit for a while and enjoy some local food...
Well the service was awful...The young lady took the order, you had to pay, and then she gave you a ticket to wait for your order to be called...
we waited 30 minues and then asked what was happening with the order, she told us there were other people waiting and it wouldnt be long.....we would have left if it hadnt been for the fact that we had paid.....We eventually got our food some 50 waiting time...This is ridiculous for a ''take away'' service....I know they were cooked to order, but when you have a queue surely sense tells you to put in a good batch of all that is needed, not wait for each order to be completed...maybe they cant cope with more then one order at a time.....The staff have a ''couldn't careless'' attitude, and there was no information as to the wait that would happen..
Staff should be able to say to folks as they order how long it will be, so you have the choice to wait or not......otherwise the food was excellent....I trust it was not frozen fish????

2  Thank babe33
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Best location with the worst service. Went to breakfast with a friend and we ordered the most simple thing on the menu (bacon and egg roll and coffee's). After half an hour we still hadn't received our coffee's so as I went up to ask where they were they were finally bringing them out. Although we wish they hadn't, they tasted like warmed up milk. After an hour and 10 minutes we were also without our breakfast so after going to ask where that was we were told that they lost our order. We barely got an apology and after another 10 minutes our breakfast had finally come out. We would have walked out well before hand but there's no table service there so you have to pay when you order your meal. Absolute joke of a place. Will never be going back!!!!!

5  Thank Lana1111111
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Absolutely the worst dining experience ever!! We ordered a takeaway meal of 3 lots of fish and chips (when I ordered the fish and chips I had to pay extra for the chips despite advertising a 'package' of fish and chips) and a serve of four calamari ring, 2 fish cocktails and chips (for the kids). After waiting for three quarters of an hour we finally got our meal. The fish was served in a cardboard tray which was soaked through with moisture - there were NO chips. And the kids tray looked disgusting - what few chips there were were cold and soggy, the fish cocktails were also cold and hard and the four little calamari rings didn't fare much better. For this privilege, I was charged $55.80. Perhaps I should have gone back and asked for the chips that I had paid for and not received, but having taken so long to get the meal in the first place, I wasn't prepared to wait another three quarters of an hour. I tried to phone the cafe to register my complaint but had to leave a message - needless to say - no-one has returned my call. DO NOT EAT HERE!!

2  Thank Beth T