We stayed for a couple of nights between Christmas and New Year with our two children, ages 4 and 18 months. The hotel is superbly located across the road from Terrigal beach, a perfect destination for children. Since our last stay in 2010, the rooms appear to have been refurbished. On the last occasion we splashed out on a large two room suite with an expansive corner balcony and stunning ocean views (somewhat garishly decorated at the time in blue and yellow). This time (being peak season) we paid about double the price for a vastly smaller and balcony, which was basic but pleasant, with lovely views of the hotel pool and the beach across the road (now painted in neutral tones).
There were several disadvantages (aside from price) attached to staying during the peak period, starting with check in. We arrived in Terrigal at 3pm on time for check in, only to be told that our room was not ready due to guests over Christmas taking their time to leave the hotel. After taking the children for a walk around the area, we tried to check in again at about 3.30pm (the estimated time our room would be ready). Again, we were disappointed (although I noticed several other parties check in successfully). The reception staff offered to call us when the room was ready, and provided vouchers for drinks in the pool side bar. This was a nice gesture, but after a couple of hours in the car, all that our 18 month old was really fit for was a nap. We nevertheless proceeded to the bar to "enjoy" drinks with our fractious toddler, waiting for the call - which never came. We returned to reception and were eventually checked in at about 4.45pm. (On our last morning, I requested a late check out in light of the lost time and inconvenience and was offered 30 minutes - which I do not consider adequate.)
Another annoying problem due to the busyness of the hotel was the failure to service our room the following day, despite us being absent for several hours after breakfast at the beach. Whilst we were in the room enabling our daughter to have an afternoon sleep, a bag of new towels, toiletries and tea bags did eventually materialise outside of the door (which was relief, as we had brought so much sand back from the beach).
There was a 15 minute queue to be seated for breakfast each morning, and a comparable wait in the coffee line. Nevertheless, the selection is ample (including made to order omelettes) and the setting is very relaxing, again featuring the beautiful views.
The pool is chaotic at this time of year, and as a result the toilets nearby are not sufficiently maintained. There was wet toilet paper strewn on the floor, and on my second visit with a desperate child, no toilet paper left at all, forcing us to run upstairs instead.
The plus side of peak season is that it feels perfectly acceptable to be out and about with noisy children.
We dined in the restaurant one evening, which we all enjoyed (we recommend the duck and the chocolate tasting plate). There was a wide selection for children, including genuinely tasty and nutritious options. My daughter's steak was beautifully tender.
All in all the Crowne Plaza due to its location and facilities is a good option for families, and in the absence of peak season prices, the sorts of issues we had would be easy to forgive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Crowne Plaza Terrigal’s serene ocean-side location is ideal for singles, couples, groups and families seeking a memorable Central Coast experience. Select from a choice of 199 modern rooms, each boasting up-to-date amenities, and enjoy spectacular ocean views or an idyllic outlook onto Terrigal proper. Indulge in a sumptuous meal at elegant Seasalt Restaurant, famous for fresh-caught seafood and dishes prepared from the finest local produce. Enjoy a cocktail and catch-up with friends in the beautifully refurbished Lord Ashley Lounge or catch a live band and watch the sunset on the outdoor deck at Florida Beach Bar. The Concierge’s at Crowne Plaza Terrigal are knowledgeable across a wide and diverse range of Terrigal activities, including the best Terrigal dive sites, local attractions and local golf courses. Wander to the top of the Skillion for panoramic views of the coastline or find top-class surfing on Terrigal Beach. Deep-sea fishing trips leave from The Haven, a peaceful area 10 minutes' walk away. We're 15 minutes' drive to the Erina Fair mall and 20km from Ettalong's weekend beach market. We’re also just 115km from Sydney International Airport and Newcastle Airport. Let the complimentary Kids' Club entertain the children during school holidays while you browse the fashions and antiques in our boutiques. Energise in the outdoor pool or work out in the Fitness Centre. You'll look forward to conducting business in our meeting rooms and we'll leave you with golden memories of your wedding. Make Crowne Plaza Terrigal your base for exploring the Central Coast or simply relaxing on its beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Crowne Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Terrigal
- Terrigal Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Terrigal, South Pacific