“Highly Recommended”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This restaurant came highly recommended and I can see why. We were welcomed by friendly staff who went out of their way to accommodate our request of a window table. The dining room is comfortable and really feels like a Paris bistro. As a Brit visiting Australia I was hesitant to visit a French restaurant... After all Paris is on our doorstep, but the food was typically French without being old fashioned or too heavy. The house smoked duck entree was light and very flavoursome whilst my friends snails came in a wonderfully garlicky parsley sauce with delightful homemade cheese twists. The classic duck confit I had for main was perfectly executed and left me wanting more! Another classic: coq au vin was rich and winey and the depth of flavour was really tasty. It came with a side of creamy potato bake 'gratin dauphinoise'. Brûlée for dessert did not disappoint. $55 for 3 courses is such good value so I'm not surprised the place was packed whilst other Terrigal restaurants were half empty.

2  Thank RedlandJ

Reviewed January 22, 2014

On one hand, great value with 3 courses for $55 - probably the cheapest on the coast. On the other hand, this draws lots of girls nights out where the noise is difficult to hear your own partner. Although it is described as French, it's really a poor Aussie interpretation of what locals think is French. Very ordinary service

1  Thank RonWamberal
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Had occasion to celebrate a friend's birthday last night and decided to try Le Chat Noir. We were very impressed with the quality of the food, the service and the beach-side ambience. Three courses for $55.00 is just outstanding value for food this good and the menu is extensive. I can recommend the Duck Confit and the Tarte Tatin. The staff even brought out a small cake with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate for my friend and sang to her - in French of course! A great night.

2  Thank sarandip30
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Leave the kids at home. Lovely and unexpected surprise in this place. I had duck, husband had steak. We also had bitter chocolate & the meringue dessert. It's French so very rich. Great night. Great wine list too.

3  Thank apple5273
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My partner and I had an excellent dinner and this was our first time trying French food, the service was great and the food was excellent, the restaurant had a pleasant atmosphere, can't compare to other French restaurants but we enjoyed it and think its well worth a visit.

2  Thank glenn s