“Nothing Quality here”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Singleton
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Nothing Quality here”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Rooms and decor are very dated. Our 'Executive' room had a rotting bathroom door, small spiders on the towels and such, and cockroaches in the bathroom and hallway. Buffet breakfast isn't served if occupancy is low, which apparently it is most weekends, and housekeeping arrived at 8:30 am to tidy our room while we were attempting to sleep. Overall a poor experience. The desk staff were very friendly - their only redeeming quality.

Our room was very stuffy, and with only one window/sliding door (which housekeeping kept closing every time we left it open) there is no cross ventilation or flow of air. We had to run the air cond just to vent the stuffiness from the room.

Our room must have been next to a plant room because for our entire stay in this mostly empty hotel we could hear some kind of motor running 24/7 (not our air cond) as well as a constant stream of running water in the walls.

There are so many wonderful places to stay in and around the Hunter Valley - this isn't one of them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
sydney
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The below review of Brian J is pretty much spot on here! old and run down. Really bad nights sleep with light flooding in under the door above the gaffa tape holding the carpet down. Food in restaurant poor and expensive toast and coffee for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sydneyslicer

Travelers are raving about these Singleton hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Booked into the Charbonnier for my 12 night stay and was pleasantly surprised at the professionalism of the staff at the front desk. I say surprised because i encounter so many unwilling staff in mining towns.

The room was ample not small or uncomfortable everything was clean and well presented, i had the paper every morning with breakfast which was a bit on the small side but its quality not quantity.

The dinner menu was good, I have worked in hospitality (before mining) and i must say what the staff lack in experience they more than make up for in effort and attention really good to see people striving to please guests.

I got to know the staff by name and they me in return, It really is nice when your away from home for prolonged periods of time that you find places to feel "at home" this was one of those places for myself.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night a couple of weeks ago. It is a tiny little motor in as you drive into singleton. It is tiny but the beds were perfect. It's in desperate need of a renovation however the place was spotless!! The service was fabulous and the hot breakfast flawless. A couple of big resorts could learn from this tiny modest place!!
We had an interconnecting room on the ground floor and stayed there with our two girls.
It is a bit further away from the city centre so you need a car, but I'm not sure being away from the buzz of a mining town on a weekend is a bad thing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Inverell, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Charbonnier on a Sunday night in July 2012 with friends who had a room next door. Both rooms were clean and tidy, well laid out and were on the first floor overlooking the pool area. Had a little private balcony with outdoor furniture and the rooms were furnished with a lounge and table setting as well as the queen size bed. Reception staff were lovely, in particular the friendly lady who took our phone booking and the gentleman who made sure our motorbikes were parked safely under cover and in view of the foyer.

Had dinner in the restaurant which was very nice. A little pricey though for a small amount of food and vegetables were an optional extra.

Breakfast the following morning was a simple continental buffet with cereals, toast, tea and coffee and, because of the quiet morning, eggs made to order. Cost for breakfast was $25 so I gave it a miss as I don’t need to start the day with a whole pile of food. Very generous breakfasts! Room was $156 which seemed a lot compared to the next hotel we stayed in which was 4 and a half star and had waterfront views of Port Stephens. All in all not a bad overnight stop on a road trip.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have been refurbished and some have a view of the pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TheSearchEngine
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Stayed in room 124 on the 14th June 2012 after several days business in the region. Foyer looked reasonable and at the time ex NSW premier opened the place in 1984 it was probably worthy of the 4 star rating. Unfortunately, it appears to have had minimal maintainance since that time.

The visual impact of a dark line about 1 metre high running the entire length of both sides of the hallway makes me think that the place was subject to flooding in the recent past. On opening the door to Rm 124 I immediately noticed the piece of 'gaffer' tape holding the carpet down across the doorway, I subsequently noted that all the doorway carpets were taped in the same fashion. The walls and doors appear grubby, and since when did having green towels in the bathrooms come into fashion. The shower curtain was old and mildewy (yes, a shower curtain with shower over a bath, great for older folk who might want a 'tub' 'but in 2012, time to move on). The sheets were so threadbare I suspect they were there when Premier Neville WRAN opened the centre back in the 80's. However the bed was reasonably comfortable, the curtains blocked the light out and there was minimal road noise. For this, my company was charged just under $160 for the night, supposedly 4 stars.

As it was the last day of a working trip with 7 colleagues, we decided to eat in the restaurant and avoid any temptation to drink/drive. 'Charades' the dining room should in fact be called 'Facade' because that is the only semblance to a quality restaurant it has. The chairs are that old I felt my posterior was going to fall through the seat. So I swapped with one at another table, it was the same, and all my workmates agreed the chairs at which they were seated had a use by date long passed. The air conditioning outlets on the ceiling were filthy and the decor was a very long time ago considered new.

Putting this all aside I felt as it was the last night of a long work week I would treat myself to a nice meal. All 'Mains' on the menu were priced between $32-$35 (Aus). I thought it fairly pricey, as a good meal in an up scale inner city restaurant would be similar cost, but I threw caution to the wind and ordered the 'Paella'. I was absolutely gobsmaked at the rubbish that was presented. I am a poor cook myself, but a very accomplished world traveller and eater. The 'stuff' they called paella was at best a pathetic attempt to create something from a 'New Idea' cookbook and a dish even I could have bettered. Two of my colleagues also ordered the Paella and the contents on each plate was a markedly different size. For this gunk I paid $34.

Why did I not complain at the time? It was the end of a long week, my colleagues and I were enjoying each others company liberally doused with overpriced drinks and our firm was paying for it. It was only next day that I really contemplated the rorting that this place seems to engage in. I know there is a mining boom in the Hunter region, and accommodation may be tight but to partake in wholesale pillaging of corporate accounts will only last so long.

On the up side the staff were reasonably friendly, but, no I didn't have the $20 breakfast of cereal and coffee, I went down the road and found a delightful bakery and cafe and had 'breaky' for $7:95. I will tell everyone of my stay at Charbonnier

Room Tip: To choose a good room stay somewhere other than the Charbonnier Quality Inn Singleton
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Brian J
Southport
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We were very pleased with the accommodation, we had room service for dinner and would recoment it to any traveller.

Room Tip: recomend this place to have a good night rest
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Larvin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Singleton
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
No photo provided
Hunter Valley Resort
Hunter Valley Resort
#8 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Charbonnier Motor Inn SIngleton? Share your experiences!