“Time for a complete renovation”

Charbonnier Motor Inn SIngleton
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Singleton
Brisbane, Australia
“Time for a complete renovation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Stayed in room 124 on the 14th June 2012 after several days business in the region. Foyer looked reasonable and at the time ex NSW premier opened the place in 1984 it was probably worthy of the 4 star rating. Unfortunately, it appears to have had minimal maintainance since that time.

The visual impact of a dark line about 1 metre high running the entire length of both sides of the hallway makes me think that the place was subject to flooding in the recent past. On opening the door to Rm 124 I immediately noticed the piece of 'gaffer' tape holding the carpet down across the doorway, I subsequently noted that all the doorway carpets were taped in the same fashion. The walls and doors appear grubby, and since when did having green towels in the bathrooms come into fashion. The shower curtain was old and mildewy (yes, a shower curtain with shower over a bath, great for older folk who might want a 'tub' 'but in 2012, time to move on). The sheets were so threadbare I suspect they were there when Premier Neville WRAN opened the centre back in the 80's. However the bed was reasonably comfortable, the curtains blocked the light out and there was minimal road noise. For this, my company was charged just under $160 for the night, supposedly 4 stars.

As it was the last day of a working trip with 7 colleagues, we decided to eat in the restaurant and avoid any temptation to drink/drive. 'Charades' the dining room should in fact be called 'Facade' because that is the only semblance to a quality restaurant it has. The chairs are that old I felt my posterior was going to fall through the seat. So I swapped with one at another table, it was the same, and all my workmates agreed the chairs at which they were seated had a use by date long passed. The air conditioning outlets on the ceiling were filthy and the decor was a very long time ago considered new.

Putting this all aside I felt as it was the last night of a long work week I would treat myself to a nice meal. All 'Mains' on the menu were priced between $32-$35 (Aus). I thought it fairly pricey, as a good meal in an up scale inner city restaurant would be similar cost, but I threw caution to the wind and ordered the 'Paella'. I was absolutely gobsmaked at the rubbish that was presented. I am a poor cook myself, but a very accomplished world traveller and eater. The 'stuff' they called paella was at best a pathetic attempt to create something from a 'New Idea' cookbook and a dish even I could have bettered. Two of my colleagues also ordered the Paella and the contents on each plate was a markedly different size. For this gunk I paid $34.

Why did I not complain at the time? It was the end of a long week, my colleagues and I were enjoying each others company liberally doused with overpriced drinks and our firm was paying for it. It was only next day that I really contemplated the rorting that this place seems to engage in. I know there is a mining boom in the Hunter region, and accommodation may be tight but to partake in wholesale pillaging of corporate accounts will only last so long.

On the up side the staff were reasonably friendly, but, no I didn't have the $20 breakfast of cereal and coffee, I went down the road and found a delightful bakery and cafe and had 'breaky' for $7:95. I will tell everyone of my stay at Charbonnier

Room Tip: To choose a good room stay somewhere other than the Charbonnier Quality Inn Singleton
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Brian J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Southport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

We were very pleased with the accommodation, we had room service for dinner and would recoment it to any traveller.

Room Tip: recomend this place to have a good night rest
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Larvin
Bourke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

We were attending a wedding in Singleton so booked 2 (interconnecting) rooms for myself, my husband, bub and Mum. The rooms we had were older but were clean and very roomy. Temperature control in the rooms made for a very comfy sleep. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were reasonably priced especially for the Hunter. We didn't eat at the hotel as we had to get on the road early so went the Maccas drive through option. I travel a lot with work and sometimes end up in some very substandard accommodation but we would certainly consider staying there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

staff are lovely, however our room was not. Very musty, dusty, noisy fridge, old and expensive for what it is. Nowhere near the 4 star they claim to be. TV in room was as old as the hills !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sue M

Travelers are raving about these Singleton hotels

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

We were visiting Singleton to attend our son's marchout at the Army base so this hotel was well located for our needs. Rooms are pleasant and spotless. Had booked online for five nights but when we arrived the booking had only been made for one night but was rectified. Only gripe we had was that the smokers amongst the staff sat under our window to smoke and chat at all hours of the day and night. So we were unable to open the window which made the room a bit stuffy. We did ask them to move once but the practice continued. The hotel is busy during the week and quieter on weekends.

Room Tip: Don't get Room 121.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Redruby15
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Quality Inn Charbonnier Hallmark for one night in June. We were picking up a car we'd bought at a nearby car dealership- actually, it was pretty much right across the road from the hotel- so that was why we chose this hotel, for the convenient location. The lobby looked very nice with lovely plants and the lady at the desk was very friendly. Our room was clean and basic- I think the renovated rooms must be the suites upstairs, as our room didn't look like the rooms on the website. The shower was large and had good water pressure. They had temperature control in the room, which was great! We just set it to 22 degrees and it was perfect all night. It was very quiet throughout the night- very easy to sleep, but as in all hotels- the pillows were awful. I've yet to go to hotel with good pillows! In the morning I went out to the front desk and asked for milk for tea/coffee and the nice man also gave me some packets of shortbread biscuits- which were very yummy. We went to dinner in the restaurant and was pleasantly surprised- very high quality food. Excellent service. A little pricey but worth it. We didn't have the breakfast, opting instead to go to McDonalds just down the road (within walking distance)- as we'd spent enough the night before on dinner. All in all, a very pleasant experience and if I had to go to Singleton again, I'd definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Griffith, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

This older motel is real pleasure to stay in. The room was very spacious and comfortable. The mini bar was well stocked and the flat screen TV was nice too. The bed was very comfortable. My only small complaint is that the energy saving shower head only allows you to get one part of your body wet at a time. But there was plenty of hot water. I would highly recommend staying here. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Singleton
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
#1 of 3 in Singleton
Quest Singleton
Quest Singleton
#1 of 4 in Singleton

Been to Charbonnier Motor Inn SIngleton? Share your experiences!