“Estate tries to be a bit of Everything ! And Is !!”
Review of Coolangatta Estate

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shoalhaven
Coolangatta Estate
Sydney, Australia
“Estate tries to be a bit of Everything ! And Is !!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed at Coolangatta for a friends wedding and found it to be a great spot. The wife had a wine tasteing in the Cellar during the afternoon and the staff were extremely friendly. The Estate is a blend of Winery, B & B , Restaurant and Function Centre and offers tours during the season . For an extended stay there is a pool , 9 hole golf couse , tennis court , croquet , bush walks and the beach just over the road ! The rooms are in a variety of styles but all in refurbished rooms in original outbuildings. The Estate was originally dairy farm with horse agistment and had the first grapes grown back in the mid 1800's. The place is steeped in History , the Reception was very good , the breakfast awesome , and the whole package works for me ! Will be back in Sept for the nephew and keen to stay again !!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skeney57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed 3 nights, 4 days. Found out the restaurant only open Wednesday night for snacks, and then Thursday to Sunday for expensive dinner NO breakfast available in house. Rooms very shabby and basic I would not consider going back in a hurry

Room Tip: I cottage we stayed in was small, poorly serviced, no microwave to ccok the breakfast we had to brin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paul F

Travelers are raving about these Shoalhaven hotels

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel/b&b is located in lovely surroundings. The views are nice. The room we stayed in was ok, but not something I would go back to. It was quite dirty in general. Lots of cockroaches, spiders and mosquitos which you don't like to have in your room. The windows didn't close and didn't have fly screens, which could explain the insect habitat inside.

We also had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Dinner was a 2 out of 5 as well, service was very poor and the two waitresses seemed to be very confused and stressed, despite the restaurant being almost empty (which should have been a warning sign, especially during Easter Long weekend). The food wasn't good and expensive, $150 for two ppl.

The breakfast buffet was really good. Lots of stuff to pick from. It was a nice ending to our stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights in Lodge 33 at The Coolangatta Estate. Some of the people in our group had excellent accommodation, as their lodgings had been refurbished, unfortunately our's was not.
The pluses:
1:Very comfortable bed
2:Secluded accommodation
3:Pleasing setting

The minuses :
1: Poorly cleaned and maintained Suite, when we arrived there were Mosquitoes in the rooms, they entered via the torn flywire screens. There were cobwebs in nearly every corner of the suite, these were not removed during our stay. There were bits and pieces in the drawers in the ensuite, including tablets, left by previous occupants.
2: Reception area staff were unhelpful and unprofessional, particularly the older woman
3: The filter coffee maker was encrusted with old coffee grounds, when I pointed this out to the cleaner, she just shrugged her shoulders.
4:There were food stains on two cushions, I reported this to Reception, the cushions were removed, but not replaced.
5: The 5 minute walk from the Lodge to the Restaurant was hazardous, because it is ill-lit. We purchased a torch on the second day and that was a necessity.
6: The pillows were dreadful.
7: The lighting in our lounge / dining room was so inadequate , we couldn't read at night.
8: The Refrigerator door was badly rusted.

We recommend a visit to the nearby town of Berry for breakfast and / or lunch at The Deli Café, this is a gem, very well run, delightful staff, delicious fresh food and excellent coffee.

Room Tip: Because of the location, The Coolangatta Estate is a good place to stay, but if you do, I suggest yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We attended a family wedding on site and stayed overnight in a suite situated in one of the more "modern" buildings. The grounds, grapevines and historic buildings at Coolangatta Estate are charming. The wine was enjoyable. Handy hint: BYO mossie repellant if you spend any time outdoors here.The bed in our suite was very comfortable, sheets and towels very clean and of good quality.

BUT...$250/night accommodation incl buffet breakfast and rat droppings on the bathroom floor. You have to be kidding!! Management has to have a really serious look at the accommodation standards. Our room smelt REVOLTING and looked v e r y tired. I can overlook outdated decor but there is no excuse for accommodation that smells like this. It needs a thorough spring clean but demolition would be better. We were not the only guests to feel the same way. I did not wish to complain to management as I didn't want to ruin the weekend for my family members.

Our air con did not work, nor did the air con in several other units. I opened the glass sliding doors on either side of our suite in the morning to get a cool breeze through and all I got was the smell of sewer or septic to mix with the ambient stench already in our suite.

You cannnot compete with other accommodation and wedding venues by serving this up!!!

Room Tip: Don't even think of staying in accommodation there. Keep driving.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stopped in at this winery for a late lunch while touring the Shoalhaven/Kangaroo Valley area.

Although it was toward the end of the lunch service, staff made us feel welcome and we received good and prompt service. We both chose to eat fish, my companion the beer-battered fish and I the char-grilled fillet. Both were perfectly cooked and served with a pleasant salad, mine with a lovely caper and raisin dressing. With it we each had a glass of fresh, vibrant Verdelho from the Estate winery.

Afterwards, I had to visit the tasting room to try and buy a multi award-winning aged Semillon - a little expensive but a beautiful wine that we enjoyed later.

The restaurant is pleasantly located in surrounding vines and inside is like stepping into a 1950s UK hotel. For all that it was a pleasing lunch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank akrivos
Bowral, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Not sure if it was due to our anticipation and expectations of a rare weekend away, but we were really disappointed by the lack of care shown by staff at Coolangatta Estate.

Sadly, our room was not clean - old half emptied milk in the fridge, hairclips on the bedside table, dust clumps on the carpet and a filthy shower curtain.

When we notified reception of the half-drunk milk in the fridge, we needed to prompt them to provide a replacement, and then waited over half an hour to receive one. When this one was curdled (!) I walked over to reception to discuss it. Their response was: "wow, you don't have much luck with milk!". No apology was offered. When I asked for more, a replacement was offered from the restaurant (as that milk should be okay - ?!?). I also asked for two bowls for our room. In spite of my offer to walk to the restaurant to obtain these for myself, the reception staff begrudgingly obtained these for me. It seemed I was an inconvenience.

This was a real disappointment, as on my first phone contact, the staff seemed delightful. Perhaps it was the staff on shift, perhaps it was once we were in the door they tried less.

As others have noted, the décor is dated, but you can tell that they have tried to invest in something that is presentable and tidy, which it is. Just dirty.

The cellar door staff we really can't praise enough - they were friendly, informative, and generally good fun, which we really appreciated!

Five out of five for the cellar door staff, sadly much, much less for the others.

A great winery to visit, but I could not recommend it as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shoalhaven
Dolphin Shores Hotel
Broughton Mill Farm Guesthouse B&B
Marriott Park Motel
Marriott Park Motel
#3 of 9 in Nowra

Been to Coolangatta Estate? Share your experiences!