“Terrible service. Will not go back!”

Hog’s Breath Cafe
Ranked #41 of 91 Restaurants in Shellharbour
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The home of Hog'spitality! Specialising in 18 hr slow cooked Prime Rib Steaks. The best a steak can get! From day one, Hog's Breath Cafe set out to be unlike any other restaurant. In a nutshell, it is about providing quality food and beverage in a casual environment with an over-riding friendly, party atmosphere. The diverse menu is centered around Prime Rib, an unbelievably tender steak that just melts in your mouth. Kids Eat Free: All Day Mon & Tue Lunches from $9.90: Mon - Sun Seven days a week, Shellharbour is cooking up some of the best steaks, salads, burgers and wraps in the country! Our extensive and diverse menu that offers a range of tasty chicken and seafood dishes, ribs, burgers and wraps, salads, pasta, delicious desserts, light options and awesome kids' meals, we cater to all taste buds! The Hogster's Kid's Menu has the favourites of every kid'let, including pizza, burger, chicken nuggets, or steak! Plus they come with a free juice or soft drink and 2 free scoops of ice cream. Your little piglets will want to come back time and time again! The Hog's Trim-a-licious Menu was introduced March 2016. Items in this menu range have been selected based on their minimum kJ and calorie values, but it's still up to the Hog's standards in taste and quality! Come by with your family, enjoy a few weekend drinks with your mates, or treat your grandma to our devilish desserts. Whatever the day or the occasion, Hog's Breath Shellharbour is sure to delight and inspire!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Terrible service. Will not go back!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Im so disappointed with the Hog's Breath Cafe in Shellharbour, NSW.
While the food was ok, the level of service was terrible.
Im in full support for students/young adults starting out in the hospitality industry however im highly frustrated that the staff are not trained and not enthusiastic in their jobs.
I came in with my family last week for dinner and were attended to by more than 6 staff members instead of just 2. (A hostess and a server is standard.)

I will list just a few points of my experience.
No water was offered when taking the drinks order.
The waitress who came over with our drinks put them down on our table at one end and got me to pass them down to my family instead of walking around the table and giving them to each customer.
When we received our drinks in a bottle, not glass was bought over or offered. When i asked, i got attitude from the waitress.
No one came to collect our empty glasses or plates for quite some time. (15 mins)
I noticed other staff members took along time to clear tables and were more interested in their own conversation.

To be honest, i dont think i would ever go back. Everyone i know in the area has had the same disappointing experience and would not go back either. It already has negative reviews and may eventually give the whole company a bad name if it continues.

I hope they can use this information and turn it into something positive because it could really be a great restaurant if it has the right management and experienced staff members.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Shazalana

“Terrible in comparison to other hogs breath franchises”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here a few times now for birthdays etc the food is terrible and the staff are hopeless. I tried an entree and chicken dish from a different franschise and the food was amazing! So i went to shellharbour and ordered the same thing and it was disgusting! I would not recommend this hogs breath to anyone i would say go to ribs and rumps around the corner the food is much better!

5 Thank Nayzi
“Not a nice place.”
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went in for one of the lunch time specials. The restaurant was empty yet it took ages to get served, literally had three members of staff walk past us before one showed us to a table. The menus as well as the stands on the tables are disgustingly dirty, covered in sticky dust and obviously spilled drinks. Very off putting! The food took aaaaages, and it was really not good. A tiny piece of chicken inside a huge roll and wilted salad on the side. We left very disappointed that day. Will not be going back.

1 Thank Jannah22
Melbourne, Australia
“Pretty Average”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recently went to Hog's Breathe in Shellharbour for lunch during a work training day. It's the first time I have been to this franchise so I am in no way comparing it to any other store, just my experiences at this particular one.

The interior is dark, sticky and rather uninviting. I'm not a fan of themed restaurants as it is so I found the decor to be rather tacky. I especially object to being labelled as a 'sow' when I went to the bathroom (sign on the ladies bathroom door indicating that it is for females).

Despite there not being many other people in the restaurant apart from our group, the wait was rather long. The order was also messed up whereby one of the members of our party did not receive their order until they requested its whereabouts. By the time it was received, everyone else had already finished eating, making it rather uncomfortable.

The food was average. I opted for the 'chicken mushroom' dish which I found to be bland and mediocre. The sauce was nothing special, and you could taste the thickener, while the chicken tasted very smoking and burnt from being cooked one the grill. This taste pretty much pervaded the entire dish. The vegetables were the only redeeming feature unfortunately. I also ordered Hog's Breath's 'famous curly fries'. These, I found, were very disappointing, oily from not being drained long enough and lacking any flavour.

I doubt I will be visiting another Hog's Breath restaurant. I think there are a lot of better places to go in Shellharbour that offer higher quality food for the same price.

• Visited August 2012