“Congrats to great staff”

Max Brenner Chocolate Bar
Ranked #3 of 3 Dessert in Shellharbour
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Congrats to great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Have enjoyed good and bad service world wide, shellharbour staff and baristor Joshua Harrison made it a pleasure...Highly Recommended

Shellharbour, Australia
“Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

The chocolate is delicious. It is a bit pricey, but tastes yummy! Love the hug mugs. They are great for a hot chocolate. My son loves them. I think they will be on his Christmas list!!

1 Thank LyNeTtE29
South Coast NSW
“Return Visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

We returned to Max Brenner on the 17th of May at around 3pm for a second visit. There were more of us this time, so we ordered more items.

Unfortunately the queue to order still appeared to be a problem. We waited in the queue for 17 minutes, I checked my watch so am certain of the wait time. The reason for this is clear - only one till, and the people using it are just plain slow. My suggestion to fix this problem would be to install a second till ASAP, I think it would really speed things up. The queue never seemed to get any shorter, in fact at times it got a lot longer and some people seemed to give up and leave.

There seemed to be an awful lot of staff standing around not sure what to do or not doing anything at all. There were two signs on the door - one advertising for more staff!! and one advising that they were having trouble sourcing strawberries.

We ordered - two chocolate cupcake things, the chocolate fondue, one latte, one cappucino, one hot chocolate & the peanut butter ice chockie.

Unfortunately there was once again a very long wait for the items to appear. We began to see items after 15 minutes - the Fondue appeared, then the cupcakes, then the iced drink, then the hot drinks. They really have a problem with serving hot drinks here and that is an issue because that is partly what they are known for, all the hot chocolates etc. At least this time the hug mug was served at a hold-able temperature.

We sat outside this time so I was not able to get a clear idea of what was going on with the hot drinks, however I did notice while waiting in the queue that there seemed to be only one person making the hot drinks. There is one coffee machine, but they do not need a coffee machine to make the hot chocolates, so whit is a mystery as to why can't the other staff be helping out with that.

With all the above negatives, I have to say that this time I could see what all the fuss has been about. The chocolate fondue was amazing, very social and a lot of fun. It is very highly priced at $19 but with 5 of us sharing that wasn't too bad. I think for the price there was not enough stuff to dip into the chocolate and we did have quite a lot of chocolate left but next time we'll know to bring extra dipping items. The cupcakes were once again excellent.

The star of the show was by far the peanut butter ice chockie. Everyone tried it and we all agreed it was incredible.

I truly hope this place can get its act together before all the customers get over the novelty of it and stop showing up because the items served are excellent, it is just poor and slow service that is letting them down.

(Apologies for the delay in posting this but you can only review each place once per month!)

South Coast NSW
“First day issues..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

We visited the Max Brenner chocolate bar on the very first day they opened, which may explain some of the following issues.

I have heard a lot about Max Brenner and this was my first ever visit to the chocolate bar.

It was somewhat busy but not busy enough to merit a 15 minute standing in a queue wait just to place our order. The girl taking the orders seemed like she knew what she was doing but was just very slow at doing it.

We ordered one coffee and one hot chocolate as well as a small cupcake type thing, and went to sit down to await the arrival of chocolately goodness.

After 5 minutes the cupcake arrived on a small plate drizzled with chocolate. It had been warmed and was excellent.

After a further *15* minute wait, our coffee and hot chocolate finally arrived.

Disappointingly, people who had ordered take away drinks after us received their drinks before we did, and the same seemed to happen with those who ordered sit in drinks and food. We were quite baffled by the order in which things were served.

The hot chocolate was in a "hug mug" and the mug was far too hot to pick up. The hug mug itself seemed to have been heated by thermonuclear means and did not show any signs of cooling down. I ended up having to wrap two napkins around it in order to be able to lift the mug. Oddly the contents of the mug were at a drinkable temperature.

The coffee served to my partner tasted burnt and bitter.

Overall a disappointing experience. I will go back and try again when they have had some time to settle in to the store and see if the experience improves.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
“CHOCOLATE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Being excited to see Max Brenner at Shellharbour I went three days in a row to indulge in their food and beverages. The service is very slow, they cannot cope with the number of people, so the quality is not so good as I am used from Melbourne Max Brenner. The staff is slow and the waffles were cold by the time they reached my table 20 minutes after ordering.

1 Thank argautoaster