“Pit stop hotel”

Shellharbour Resort & Conference Centre
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Shellharbour
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed at Shellharbour Resort as a pit stop. We knew it wasn't going to be anything fancy but I was still disappointed.
The main part of the room is average/fine. The bathroom looks like it came straight out of the 70s. It's tiny and has no amenities (shower cap, soap bars etc.)
We stayed in a downstairs room and the walls are paper thin. Could hear every kid running around outside so clearly I had to check that they weren't in my room.
Terrible nights sleep (because of the sound, and usually I sleep like a log). Very simple motel but you could probably get better for your money.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AMC X

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Please DO NOT stay here! Waste of money. There's is no cutlery, no kitchenette sink( ü have to buy bottled water or drink the water out of the toilet sink!!!!! YUK!, rooms are tiny, the toilet/shower is miniature and horrible(no vent fan), the outside is so ugly, the location is bad, Wi-Fi is a total rip off, they do not vacuum the room or clean the bathroom as part of their daily servicing, really bad for families, limited toiletries and poor Austar. I can't believe some people said they would stay here again. We wouldn't stay for free!! I'm sure the owner writes the excellent review himself. The dwelling condition is not suitable for animals, let alone humans. This "Resort" is a joke and should be knocked down and rebuilt into something decent humans can stay in.
Hope this review saves a lot of people the horrible experience and money. Cheers!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Australis15
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I chose this property because of its proximity to people that I was visiting in the area. I wish now that I had opted to travel a bit further and find something a bit more suited to my needs.

Let me start by saying that the staff I came in contact with were very courteous and obliging, so top marks to them. The rest is pretty much downhill.

The bedroom was fine - obviously been upgraded at some stage and no more or less than what you would expect from a motel room. The bathroom, by contrast, was in some sort of 70's time-warp and very much in need of an upgrade. It worked, but that's about it. The miniscule handbasin was a joke.

The tariff includes a complimentary breakfast Mon-Fri. On the weekend, it's room service at a cost but the tariff remains the same. There is no free wifi - charges start from $A3.00 for 15 minutes up to $A34.00 for 72 hours.

My major gripe is with the noise. This property is on a very busy highway and there is no double-glazing to counteract the traffic noise which goes until late at night and starts ramping up again around 5am. And then one morning, the driver of a tour bus parked outside my window, decided to start warming up the engine shortly after 7am and left it running for around 30 minutes. Forget sleep.

I made the mistake of prepaying my 3-night stay. Had I not done that, I would have left after the first night. As it was, I was stuck with it. Given all of this and the fact that it is a very ordinary property in the location it's in, I found it on the expensive side. Beware the prepay trap.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank KiwiRoverJim
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel is located south of wollongong where i grew up.... we stop there when im down for family events etc it is not a holiday destination as such very suburbia.it is comfy but not luxurious ammenities are very good and staff are friendly.clean simple and convenient...a good stopover if your travelling further south to nowra, burrill lakes moruya etc

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Friendly staff, great dinner in restaurant - very tasty. Lower price range. Good location. Four of us slept comfortably in a 2xdouble room. Yes, we would visit here again. It was a last minute stay - very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Good stay - thanks
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2013

As others have written the word 'resort' doesn't quite work here. Booked 2 rooms, decor is quite old but was very clean and the customer service from all staff was fantastic! Breakfast was awesome and the kids had a ball swimming in the pool. I wouldn't hesitate to book to stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

On arrival we were a bit shocked as the building looked dated and wasn't what we had expected with the word 'Resort' in the name. However, the rooms were clean, and not cramped, and the bed very comfortable. Great shower. Yes, the interior of the room was like stepping back into the 1970's, but overall we were very happy. Pay TV (limited) and decent sized flat screen TV. Very friendly staff and good customer service. The young man who checked us in went out of his way to look after us. Excellent complimentary continental breakfast in the morning. I fell in love with the automatic pancake maker. Overnight tariff with breakfast very reasonable. My only small complaint is that the light over the bathroom mirror was not working, and it was difficult to see to put makeup on. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rubywaxNSWAustralia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shellharbour
Novotel Wollongong Northbeach
Sage Hotel Wollongong
Sage Hotel Wollongong
#5 of 15 in Wollongong
Sovereign Inn Wollongong

Been to Shellharbour Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!