“below expectations”

The Robertson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Robertson
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here late October using a 1 night voucher. We opted for the ensuite room as the thought of sharing does not appeal. The room though small was nicely furnished and the bed comfortable but the bathroom was atrocious...a sink that is held up by a vertical piece of timber easily dislodged is not acceptable. The fact that the place was virtually empty makes me wonder why they would not upgrade to a better room despite using a voucher. A 3 course diner was included which was a little disappointing the menu was set and the main pork which I can not eat..the cooked breakfast was nice though the coffee in the pot was instant and not drinkable. The grounds were nice to stroll around but all the seats were in disrepair.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kathe33

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Thank you to the owners for their courage and vision in undertaking the task of restoring this amazing building and bringing it back to its former glory. There is some way to go but we recently visited with friends and have nothing but praise for the service, food, cleanliness, atmosphere and beauty of the surrounds. The staff were friendly and informative about the history of the building, the meals (both dinner and breakfast) were tasty and well presented, the bedroom and bathrooms were spotlessly clean, the general ambience is breathtaking and the beauty of the surrounding countryside invites one to get out and explore. The bar was open, Devonshire teas were available and there was plenty of space, both inside and out, to sit and enjoy the experience. If you prefer plastic and chrome to stained glass and wooden paneling then go elsewhere. However, if you wish to experience a unique building with a unique history then Fountaindale Grand Manor provides that in abundance.
This visit was with a voucher purchased from Living Social.

Room Tip: Not all of the rooms in the Manor are being used and the building is very big. The surroundings are...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gail L
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

This grand 1920s building is being gradually refurbished but still needs enormous amounts spent on it.
The spacious bedroom had a very comfortable queen-sized bed and the unscreened shower in the generous-sized bathroom was excellent. There was a large flat screen TV and copious reading material both in the room and in bookcases throughout the building. Staff were friendly and obliging although we rarely encountered any other souls in the rambling building. The 3 course dinner was excellent and the buffet breakfasts were wholesome with a modest range of dishes.
I liked the large window that let in sweet fresh air, the view from our first floor room over the gardens, the Australian bird calls and the clouds wafting past the window (Robertson is 700m ASL).
The area offers many scenic bush walks in Morton National Park and we were very fortunate to have a private song and dance concert with a male lyrebird which made our whole weekend very memorable.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank KrisPeter2013
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We spent the last 2 nights at Fountaindale with a group of 8. Having read the recent reviews we decided to go with an open mind. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.
The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were delicious and the one evening meal we had was well above expectation. The service at all meals was excellent with our waiter showing genuine interest in our daily itinerary.The rooms were spotless (not a speck of dust to be seen!) and, yes, the bathrooms were old but very clean and fitting with the era.
The impressive sitting room downstairs was a great place to relax after exploring the fascinating and beautiful Robertson district. The gardens were well-maintained and the hydrangias were in full bloom. It was interesting to see the old Ranelagh House station where the visitors from Sydney in the 1920's would arrive for their holiday at this historic hotel.
We would recommend a stay at Fountaindale!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter T
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I recently bought three Living Social gift stays for three adult children and their partners. I then read the reviews and was somewhat disconcerted.so I decided to have a look for myself. the grounds were beautiful and the building lovely but certainly somewhat rustic. The bathrooms are pretty much original and that mat be the cause for some concern - having said that they were spotless - just old. I am waiting to see what my children experience as I was also disappointed to read some reviews of service and food . Lets hope they all have a positive experience

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank PMD801
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My partner and spent two nights at Fountaindale using a voucher purchased online.

The gardens and manor itself are absolutely beautiful! I loved walking around the yards, the place has so much potential however the service was a let down. The lady working at the front desk when we checked in (and out) was super friendly and gave us a short tour, however things went downhill from there.

I understand that the building itself is very old, but the bathrooms need a major facelift. Even just a shower door/frame/curtain would be nice!

On the first night we had the three course dinner (as included in the package, otherwise costs $55), and it was pretty disappointing. I got the feeling that the food was frozen and re-heated. Also, the bar left a lot to be desired drinks wise, the glassware was tacky and the drinks had no ice.

The breakfast was pretty basic and limited (most things had run out even though there was only one other couple there..)

On the second night we had an early dinner at the pub in Robertson (I would highly recommend this!) and were back at 7:00pm to find the place deserted. There was a sign with a number to call in case of emergency, no bar, no food, darkness and no locks on the front door?! I was actually quite uncomfortable with that. At the very least a warning would have been nice. Eventually we made the drive to Moss Vale in order to get a bottle of wine.

After having a lovely time at a different manor house on another trip in Bowral, I envisioned having drinks by the fire place with a book and enjoying the ambiance of a 1920's manor. Or even just a tea/coffee. Unfortunately this was not the case at all. There was no fire place going, no people, no bar, it was dark, it was cold, and this was 7:00pm.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the queen ensuite room. Be advised some have shared bathrooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashleigh R
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My partner and I often visit Fountaindale Grand Manor, and each and every time we have left with a wonderful experience. The staff have gone above and beyond for each of requests and nothing was too much of an ask. (The worst we have had was a pot of tea that had been forgotten about, but this is the nature of hospitality after all, we can not expect every experience to be 100% each and every time, and it was a very busy time in the middle of Christmas in July celebrations so I think the staff did very well). Recently I visited with my Grandmother for Devonshire Tea, the scones were amazing, and the home made jam is some of the best I have ever had! We stoked up on jars of it for the rest of our family who have all fallen in love. To be served our tea in real silver ware was a nice change from the everyday modern experience. We timed our visit well, being Spring the gardens were beautiful! The flowers were in bloom and you could tell there had been a lot of work done. I am yet to stay the night in the Manor, but have recently purchased a deal on Scoupon that I'm looking forward to using. From what I have seen so far when wandering the manor, you have to remember that it is a historic building and that is part of the experience. If you want something fresh, modern and with all the added extras then I don't think this would be for you. But if you love history, old world charm and character, then I think it is just perfect. I will be sure to update my review after my stay. Big thank you to all the staff at Fountaindale for always taking such good care of us all! Will be visiting soon for our stay (and stocking up on some more jam!)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Naomi_Pearl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Robertson
Peppers Manor House
Gibraltar Hotel Bowral
Links House
Links House
#1 of 9 in Bowral

Been to The Robertson Hotel? Share your experiences!