“Pleasant stay in a picturesque setting”

The Robertson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Robertson
“Pleasant stay in a picturesque setting”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

This grand 1920s building is being gradually refurbished but still needs enormous amounts spent on it.
The spacious bedroom had a very comfortable queen-sized bed and the unscreened shower in the generous-sized bathroom was excellent. There was a large flat screen TV and copious reading material both in the room and in bookcases throughout the building. Staff were friendly and obliging although we rarely encountered any other souls in the rambling building. The 3 course dinner was excellent and the buffet breakfasts were wholesome with a modest range of dishes.
I liked the large window that let in sweet fresh air, the view from our first floor room over the gardens, the Australian bird calls and the clouds wafting past the window (Robertson is 700m ASL).
The area offers many scenic bush walks in Morton National Park and we were very fortunate to have a private song and dance concert with a male lyrebird which made our whole weekend very memorable.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank KrisPeter2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We spent the last 2 nights at Fountaindale with a group of 8. Having read the recent reviews we decided to go with an open mind. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.
The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were delicious and the one evening meal we had was well above expectation. The service at all meals was excellent with our waiter showing genuine interest in our daily itinerary.The rooms were spotless (not a speck of dust to be seen!) and, yes, the bathrooms were old but very clean and fitting with the era.
The impressive sitting room downstairs was a great place to relax after exploring the fascinating and beautiful Robertson district. The gardens were well-maintained and the hydrangias were in full bloom. It was interesting to see the old Ranelagh House station where the visitors from Sydney in the 1920's would arrive for their holiday at this historic hotel.
We would recommend a stay at Fountaindale!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Peter T
Queanbeyan
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I recently bought three Living Social gift stays for three adult children and their partners. I then read the reviews and was somewhat disconcerted.so I decided to have a look for myself. the grounds were beautiful and the building lovely but certainly somewhat rustic. The bathrooms are pretty much original and that mat be the cause for some concern - having said that they were spotless - just old. I am waiting to see what my children experience as I was also disappointed to read some reviews of service and food . Lets hope they all have a positive experience

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank PMD801
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My partner and spent two nights at Fountaindale using a voucher purchased online.

The gardens and manor itself are absolutely beautiful! I loved walking around the yards, the place has so much potential however the service was a let down. The lady working at the front desk when we checked in (and out) was super friendly and gave us a short tour, however things went downhill from there.

I understand that the building itself is very old, but the bathrooms need a major facelift. Even just a shower door/frame/curtain would be nice!

On the first night we had the three course dinner (as included in the package, otherwise costs $55), and it was pretty disappointing. I got the feeling that the food was frozen and re-heated. Also, the bar left a lot to be desired drinks wise, the glassware was tacky and the drinks had no ice.

The breakfast was pretty basic and limited (most things had run out even though there was only one other couple there..)

On the second night we had an early dinner at the pub in Robertson (I would highly recommend this!) and were back at 7:00pm to find the place deserted. There was a sign with a number to call in case of emergency, no bar, no food, darkness and no locks on the front door?! I was actually quite uncomfortable with that. At the very least a warning would have been nice. Eventually we made the drive to Moss Vale in order to get a bottle of wine.

After having a lovely time at a different manor house on another trip in Bowral, I envisioned having drinks by the fire place with a book and enjoying the ambiance of a 1920's manor. Or even just a tea/coffee. Unfortunately this was not the case at all. There was no fire place going, no people, no bar, it was dark, it was cold, and this was 7:00pm.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the queen ensuite room. Be advised some have shared bathrooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashleigh R
Mangerton, NSW
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My partner and I often visit Fountaindale Grand Manor, and each and every time we have left with a wonderful experience. The staff have gone above and beyond for each of requests and nothing was too much of an ask. (The worst we have had was a pot of tea that had been forgotten about, but this is the nature of hospitality after all, we can not expect every experience to be 100% each and every time, and it was a very busy time in the middle of Christmas in July celebrations so I think the staff did very well). Recently I visited with my Grandmother for Devonshire Tea, the scones were amazing, and the home made jam is some of the best I have ever had! We stoked up on jars of it for the rest of our family who have all fallen in love. To be served our tea in real silver ware was a nice change from the everyday modern experience. We timed our visit well, being Spring the gardens were beautiful! The flowers were in bloom and you could tell there had been a lot of work done. I am yet to stay the night in the Manor, but have recently purchased a deal on Scoupon that I'm looking forward to using. From what I have seen so far when wandering the manor, you have to remember that it is a historic building and that is part of the experience. If you want something fresh, modern and with all the added extras then I don't think this would be for you. But if you love history, old world charm and character, then I think it is just perfect. I will be sure to update my review after my stay. Big thank you to all the staff at Fountaindale for always taking such good care of us all! Will be visiting soon for our stay (and stocking up on some more jam!)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Naomi_Pearl
ireland
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Had two nights three days last week where company booked out the hotel. On arrival I asked for extra towels to be placed in my room and was told this would happen but they never appeared. my room smelt of urine don't know if it was from the carpet or bathroom. UHF Milk out of date so couldn't make coffee. Lunch o. Wednesday was good but food not served together. on Wednesday night hotel ran out of food for dinner and the excuse they gAve to our table was your colleagues ate too much so you can HVe some roast pumpkin and snow peas. BreakfAst again was good but nothing served together, yoghurt put on after muesli bacon served before the eggs .etc. owners need to look up the meaning of grand manor and work on their customer service.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs unless you want a basil fawltey experience
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wifey1909
carol p, Owner at The Robertson Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
So sorry that your experience was not a good one. Fountaindale is a heritage item and a wonderful place that is gradually being brought back to life. While all is not perfect, we do strive to keep her as clean and beautiful as we possibly can. What we do know is that we do not suit everyones taste and, of course, the amount of effort taken to date to restore a grand manor is not obvious to those who do not know her wonderful, rich history.
We were in the midst of changing caterers last week and sadly this comes with a few teething problems so we can only offer our apologies for any inconviences. The new team is now in place so we are moving forward at a great pace!

Travelers are raving about these Robertson hotels

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have just read a lot of very poor reviews for Fountaindale Grand Manor, so I thought I'd mention our experience. We attended a Christmas in July (in July) and were very happy with the day. We had a large group booking for our MX5 car club and it all went very well. The building was heated, all the shops upstairs were open for business, lunch was a buffet and was hot, plentiful and delicious. The wine was very reasonably priced and also of a very good quality. It was a very busy day for them with lots of guests, but it all went very smoothly.
We had a great day and would hightly recommend Fountaindale Grand Manor for Christmas in July. In fact I'm booking to go there for an overnight stay next year, and am confident that it'll be just as good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abbykat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Robertson
Peppers Manor House
#1 of 9 in Bowral
Gibraltar Hotel Bowral
Briars Country Lodge & Inn
Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa

Been to The Robertson Hotel? Share your experiences!