Shoal Bay Holiday Park
Mantra Aqua(Nelson Bay)(Great Value!)
$178
$173
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Fingal Bay Holiday Park(Fingal Bay)(Great Value!)
$110
  • Pool
The Nelson Resort(Nelson Bay)(Great Value!)
$109
$101
Agoda.com
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort(Salamander Bay)(Great Value!)
$92
$83
  • Pool
Admiral Nelson Motor Inn(Nelson Bay)(Great Value!)
$96
$89
Agoda.com
Beaches Serviced Apartments(Nelson Bay)(Great Value!)
$241
$96
$77
$69
Agoda.com
Martys at Little Beach(Nelson Bay)(Great Value!)
$86
$84
Hotels.com
Ingenia Holidays One Mile Beach(Anna Bay)(Great Value!)
$68
$66
  • Pool
All reviewsacross the roadshoal baygreat locationholiday parkclean amenitiesbedroom villacamp kitchenconcrete slabensuite siteminute walktoilet blockgreat amenitiescafes and restaurantsgreat place to staylovely beachclose to shopswithin walking distance
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I have lost count how many times I have stayed here. It's where my folks set up camp for the Game Fishing holiday every year since I was 5. (I'm now 50)
We moved to the area in the 70's, so my camping holidays ended. I eventually moved on to Sydney, but years on with 4 kids, we decided to make it our own holiday experience again.
Back then it was a rustic and very simple caravan park - and not much has changed Thank God. We last stayed Easter 2010. There are now more villas than campsites, which is a pity, but probably more of a viable stream of income for the owners. The streets are now paved and new faclities have been introduced such as a camp kitchen, games room and common room, but the essence of the park remains. The toilet block is basically the same as it was, just enough refurbishment to keep campers happy, but I hate the new security system of entering codes just to use the loo! Sign of the times I guess.
The option of a personal toilet block is available only to caravan owners and I think that policy stinks! As tent campers, we would have happily paid the extra to access a private ensuite, so if the owners are reading this, please note!
The beach is right across the street, which is the best aspect of the park. There are activities on offer everyday during major holidays for kids, and they still do an outdoor movie night over summer and easter, where all the kids gather in their PJ's and camp on the lawn to watch animated movies. A reptile guy came one day and entertained us for 2 hours. The staff are polite, groundspeople are efficient. BBQ's are clean and there's a convenient waste disposal system. Camp kitchen was popular with a full stove and microwave and sink. A hot water urn is also offered during the kitchen's opening hours.
I love this park, because I have had so many happy memories here. Hand feeding possums from the trees in my dressing gown. Riding a scooter around the perimeter. Hopping over to the beach for a swim. Wandering up to the shops and picking souvenirs from the newsagent. The lack of a pool is a definate drawback for some, but we spent every day at the beach, so we never missed one.
Now here's the dealbreaker:
One night about 10pm, we had been in bed for about an hour, when a group of unrelated campers next to our site became embroiled in a nasty and vicious drunkfest, which spilled over to the street and threatened ourselves and our friends who were camping beside us. We called the emergency number of the park for immediate assistance, but were told the manager was away for the night and couldn't respond. We then called the Police, after my husband wrestled with one of the men to remove his keys AFTER he tried to run over someone's tent where their kids slept. Absolute chaos, and we were shaken beyond belief, because we were forced to control a situation between strangers. We waited an hour for the Police, and had to spend the next hour giving witness statements. Next day, both parties were immediately evicted by the Management, which gave us our last nights sleep in peace. You can interpret this two ways: one is a devastating account relating to the cons of camping beside people you don't know. The other aspect is applauding the Management for their action once a formal complaint was lodged by us. If the Manager was on duty when it happened, I would have felt safer. It is an issue that needs to be addressed for future situations.
Would I stay here again. Yes, in a minute. I don't blame the park for what happened, it can occur anywhere. I have related this story for one reason only - to empower all campers with the right to complain at the first sign of trouble. We sat by in our tent and listened to the commotion escalate, when we should have called the Police straight away. Dealing with drunks you don't know was risky, and we thank our stars we didn't get hurt. The security round the staff do at 9pm is not good enough. They should enforce a non drinking policy after hours and patrol the park more often.
All in all I rate this park as a favourite, one bad day is just not enough to offset a hundred great ones.

Room Tip: Tent site G10 is the best for size and position to the pathway to the toilet block. A million rainbow lorikeets will invade your space for breakfast - it's like a scene from Ace Ventura!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank aussiedisney
Marketing_Manager_OR, Marketing Manager at Shoal Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Hi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Shoal Bay Holiday Park. I was delighted to read that you have been staying at Shoal Bay since you were only 5 years old and loved it so much that you kept coming back.
I would like to let you know that discussions have been had in the last few months about options for more ensuite sites and some dedicated for tents along with facilities such as a pool. Hopefully the ensuites might be an option for you and your family in the near future along with additional facilities such as a pool.
I would like to apologise about the bad behaviour of the other guests and am pleased to know you were happy with the result management took with evicting them from the park. I have passed this feedback onto the manager at Shoal Bay to ensure these situations are addressed with all the staff involved. Management does live onsite along with a security presence, so hopefully situations like these don't occur again.
Kind regards, Madeleine.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed in our caravan with an en suite site. It was clean and tidy. The park is straight across the road from the beach and walking distance to shops and eatery's.
Loved our stay.

Room Tip: Paying the extra for an en suite site was worth the trouble when making those midnight trips....
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Donna K
Marketing_Manager_OR, Marketing Manager at Shoal Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2012

Hi Donna,

Thank you very much for your positive review about Shoal Bay Holiday Park. The park is in a great location and I appreciate you taking the time to complete your feedback on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed in a new Sunseeker Villa on a three day weekend package we got online.It was well kitted out with everything you need dishwasher, proper fridge, nice sized shower, linen, towels parked the car right next to the cabin.The park is in a great location across the road from beautiful Shoal Bay beach.We walked to the resturants, cafes and pub 100mts up the road We will be back again soon

Room Tip: ask for a cabin on the northern side to get the sun in the morning on the deck
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lorae m
Marketing_Manager_OR, Marketing Manager at Shoal Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Thank you very much for your amazing review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at Shoal Bay Holiday Park. Thank you for mentioning our gorgeous new cabins and the great location we have right across the road from the beach and within a 5 minute walk to shops, pub and restaurants. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Stayed here with another couple, we tried to get into Halifax Park however it was booked out. Shoal Bay Holiday Park it is and we were set up in 'Marlin St'. This spot it closer to Government Rd and unfortunately extremely noisy with traffic and people walking home from the Shoal Bay Country Club.

I'm not one to be bothered by general noise however throughout the day it was a constant drag strip with Harley's and hotted up cars showing their pride n joy to the tourists of Shoal Bay.

I must stress this is at no fault to the park managment. In fact they have been the friendliest jovial staff I have come across in my caravan park stays.

The park itself is quite clean and well cared for. The ammenities are large, clean and modern with all the facilities you need. You are just a hop across the road to Shoal Bay beach and 3min walk to shops which have everything you need. In saying that, for a major shop it is recommended you head to Salamander Shopping Centre.

Would I come back here? Probably not. Too much traffic noise which makes for little sleep, particularly if you are in a van. I do suggest that if you do decide to come here. Try and get a site up the western? end.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Racer520
Marketing_Manager_OR, Marketing Manager at Shoal Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Thank you for reviewing our holiday park. We appreciate all feedback, positive and negative, and use reviews as a way to train our staff and improve our park operations.

I am pleased to hear that you loved the park, facilities and service. The park is in a great location right across the road from the beach and a couple of minutes walk from the shops / restaurants, although there is traffic. I was disappointed to hear that the noise disturbed your stay, and hope you would consider coming back in the near future and selecting a different site towards the rear of the park (away from the road).

Reviewed October 23, 2011

A group of about 20 of us hired safari tents for the weekend. The tents were great. Very spacious for a tent with power and a bathroom. Close to the beach, cafes and shops.

• Stayed: October 2011