“Poor service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colonial Ridge Retreat

Colonial Ridge Retreat
“Poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights with my husbands parents. We booked over the Internet so paid for one nights accommodation up front. My husband was telephoned twice by a girl with an British accent chasing the other nights fee before we even arrived...talk about desperate! I have never had to pay up front in Australia before, I travel a lot for work so I have a lot of experience staying in motels.

The office is only open from 10am till 5pm and not at all on Sundays. I must mention here that the Australian girl we dealt with on Saturday morning was pleasant.

The cabin was large and had obviously just been painted as it was very unpleasant in there with the doors and windows shut. Mum is very sensitive to airborne irritants so she spent both nights coughing.

There isn't much furniture in the cabin so was the rooms were very echoing. All the beds were hard and uncomfortable and need replacing.

Unlike some reviewers we were not offered a breakfast basket.

The cabins are not what you would expect in a 'resort' but more what you'd expect in a caravan park. The only plus is the closeness to a beach which is a five minute walk away.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We picked up a Scoopon for Colonial Ridge Retreat about 12 months ago. We were booked in for May 2012 and had to change the dates at the last minute due to my partner injuring his back and requiring an operation. Reception informed me that due to their cancellation policy we were not able to change, however, upon learning the circumstances she waived this and allowed us to re-book. This contributed to our overall high rating of the service we received.

On arrival we received a bottle of sparkling wine on arrival and a small breakfast hamper containing cereal and milk for the weekend. We were impressed with the quality of accommodation. All cabins appear to have been recently refurbished. We had two large bedrooms, a large family room and a clean and tidy full kitchen and bathroom. This would be a great place to stay with a family. We will likely return with friends.

We had planned a fishing weekend and the location was perfect for this. There is a great boat ramp within 2km and plenty of land based fishing options within a 5 minute walk. There was boat parking at the resort however the spots were too small for anything other than a small tinnie (under 4.5m).

The resort is also within walking distance of a bowling club and a couple of local restaurants. We ate at the local Chinese restaurant called Oceanic. The food was better than we would have expected, although the meal was a little slow in being prepared... but this was nothing a nice bottle of wine didn't overcome.

Overall, we had a fantastic weekend. Accommodation was basic but exceptionally clean and roomy in an outstanding location for fishing.

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We went there for a weekend away with two other couples and we all found that the accommodation was great. Freshly painted, clean and large rooms. It is centrally located with BBQ, Tennis Courts and a pool. Undercover parking next to your cabin what more could you ask for. We had a great time and would go back. If you are going to this area and plan on staying in your cabin the whole time you are missing out on a fabulous part of our country.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I called up on the off chance that there were any available rooms left this weekend as had an unused accommodation voucher for the 'resort'. I had been informed that it was very large so thought it may be worth a try. The female I spoke to sounded like she thought she belonged in a 5 star resort, I haven't been spoken too so rudely in a long long time. Condescending, incredibly rude, and downright nasty. She was shocked that I even dared to try and book a room with only 2 days notice. Funny as I have never received that response when I have called actual 5 star accommodation.The reason I had been putting off staying at this place was because a friend had told me it was very outdated, really nothing special and ugly. And judging by the other reviews on here I'm now very relieved there were no rooms available.

Travelers are raving about these Port Stephens hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

"Resort" is a bit of a stretch, but the rooms are clean, well maintained and large. Full size kitchen, room for a table and separate living area, large separate bedrooms, reverse cycle air con. I wouldn't pay extra for the view, and I wouldn't recommend you stay here if you want to spend a lot of time at your accommodation, because there is not a lot to it. The resort is in a quiet, picturesque location, still only a short drive to plenty of things to see and do (below). The reception staff are extremely helpful, tipped my rating from 3/5 to 4/5. When we checked in we were given advice on what to do, brochures and discount vouchers. We had a breakfast basket; basic, but saved us spending another $50+ going out for breakfast each morning. One of our discount vouchers was to Rock Lobster in Nelson Bay which we really liked, but don't make the mistake we made and go there for lunch before you check in, because you get a 15% discount from the resort.
Must do/see: Sandboarding at Anna Bay, or just go to check out Birubi Beach - sand dunes meet endless beach; walk up to Tomaree head, spectacular views; dolphin or whale watching cruise, some companies do dinner cruises in certain months which would be fantastic; Shoal Bay is a nice beach with still, blue water; One Mile Beach, Birubi Beach and Fingal Bay are nice wavy beaches; watch the sunset at Soldier's Point; eat at Sandpiper's ($$) in Nelson Bay. D.I.V.I.N.E! We also very much enjoyed Rock Lobster ($). If I went back I would do camel rides over the dunes, paddleboarding or kayaking around the bays, and maybe kitesurfing/parasailing. It's a beautiful spot with plenty to do.

Room Tip: The view wasn't worth an extra $40 per night.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Don't expect to feel like you're on holiday. If you're here for the outdoors, then it is cheap with a voucher but the rooms and accommodation were poor to be optimistic. Not at all a resort which is quite deceiving a name. Has privacy as it is secluded from others though. Our cabin had a carport so we could drive right in which is very nice.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We have just stayed at the Colonial Ridge Retreat for 3 nights. The rooms were very clean, yet slightly dated. The kitchenette is basic, there is no oven, but tea and coffee (plus mini-milks) were provided. We were a little disappointed after reading reviews stating people had complimentary breakfast boxes, as we didn't receive this. The freezer was a bit dirty, so we avoided using it.

The location however is wonderful. Minutes walk from the sea, general store, bottle shop, chemist, 5 minutes drive from the bigger shops. The retreat was quiet on a whole and in a nice secluded area.

The only negative wasn't experienced by myself but my partner. I had read that the front desk staff could be rude and this was something that he confirmed. However he did state that the girl that checked him in was very abrupt, like he was wasting her time, but also stated that it could just have been her personal manner, and that she doesn't realise how rude she can come across (yet surely the management must have read some of the reviews on here).

The staff also took note of my drivers license number which is the first time this as ever happened in any hotel/resort etc I have stayed in.

All in all, for the money paid, this is a great value for money retreat. The few things that were wrong, weren't of major concern. We had a lovely stay and recommend if you are on a budget, stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple