“Great down to earth holiday”

Melaleuca Surfside Backpackers
Sydney, Australia
“Great down to earth holiday”
Reviewed October 30, 2010

This is an excellent backpackers with the option of camping and cabins it is a great opportunity to experience the Australian bush. The owners often look after injured animals there is frequently an opportunity to play with an animal you would only see in a zoo. The amount of cooking space is fantasic, and with multiple BBQ's outside it really is a great Australian experience. For backpackers (overseas or Australian) it really is one of my favorite place to stay. don't be put off by it's backpacker nature irules are noise down after 9pm!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rose_2327
MelaleucaSurfside, Owner at Melaleuca Surfside Backpackers, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Glad you enjoyed your stay Rose :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sydney
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Our late arrival was not a problem to the owners who took us around the site and showed us the amenities. The owners were warm, friendly and very welcoming. We saw a koala walking late at night right by our cabin - it was an awesome sight!!
In the AM, we saw the pet Kangaroo. Maleleuca is a must to stay if you want a place within your budget price range - the bathroom and toilets were clean, plenty of hot water and not crowded (at the time we were there) - I am always particular with my bathroom and I had no complaints!!! We will definitely stay here again - total value for money, with a peacefulness that was out of this world!! Yannick and Martha

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I arrived very late to Melaleuca and on trying to navigate in the dark wound up getting lost with my two friends, the owners were amazingly friendly by giving us directions and letting us check in late. In the morning they explained everything in the area and tours we can take. VERY nice people! Our room was so unique it had closing shutter doors which really made you feel as if you were in the rainforest with the elements. Everything was very clean and the common area was very nice. They have a kangaroo names Josie that lives on the grounds and you can go up to her and pet her she is very friendly. I drove up the whole sunshine coast and out of all the hostels I stayed at this was one of my favorites and I saw the most wildlife here. (unique birds, kangaroos, koala etc.) Just across the road is one mile reach which is simply breathtaking the water was a bit cold but it cold have been the time of day. I recommend this place and make sure to book your trips through them they know EVERYTHING in the area I wish we stayed in Port Stephens longer.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank emcconkey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2009

We wanted to go away from Sydney and that was the perfect option ! You're lost in the middle of nature ! The owner are so nice, they explain you everything on check in, give you a lift to the city when they can. You can take bikes to go shopping, which is 10 minutes away. The beach is just 5 minutes walking and you'll see plenty of koalas on the way. They've got a kangaroo, Josephine, as a pet. You can get really close to her and make amazing picture. Plus the dolphins in Port Stephens bay, everything is over there. We stayed only for 2 days but we could have stayed there for weeks as this place is really amazing.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Skargot
Devon
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Was looking for somewhere a short drive from Sydney, and found this place on the web. I called them up, and booked myself and lady into a cabin for the weekend.
When we arrived we were shown round and the girlfriend - normally only goes 4 star - decided the place looked great.
The cabin was perfect. It was a minutes walk from all the facilities of the site, but was truly private - being surrounded by trees and bush. Inside it was clean and comfortable, with a fridge for me, a fan for her, and a balcony.
We spent most of our time at the beautiful beach that's a 5 minute stroll from the site. Some great surf, but I'd promised I'd have a weekend off! A short drive would take you to any number of beaches, and the owners told us of some great walks to do.
The nearest town, Anna Bay, had everything we needed - bar, bottleshop, supermarket etc (and if you like sweet stuff, the best bakery).
We stayed for two nights, not long enough, before returning to Sydney. A really original and beautiful place to stay.
Have fun

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Didn't have my surfboard
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnnyDittmar
brisbane
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I arrived at Melaleuca expecting to stay a few days... then I met the crew at this beautifully located backpackers. It was like having a family away from home! They are the warmest, friendliest, most welcoming people I have ever met. Not to mention the excellent facilities that blend in perfectly with the surroundings, the Kangaroo (Josie) and the koalas, the beautiful beach, the great surf, superb fishing and sandboarding. ....I ended up staying over a month!!! I will definitely be going back!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank retepretsnum
Toronto
Reviewed December 1, 2008

As a Canadian I would like to say I'm used to friendly people, but the Melaleuca Staff are the friendliest bunch I've come across in any of my travels. Clean facilities, great location (right across from the beach), loads of activities offered and a real genuine personal touch. I got to see 2 koalas while I was staying there, which is more than I saw the rest of my trip in Australia. Spend a few nights here for sure and you will find a real hidden gem, hell, stay a week or longer, I did!!

• Liked — Personable staff and location
  • Disliked — That I couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank stephmoose