“Avoid Like the plague!”

Picton Valley Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Picton
“Avoid Like the plague!”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Other than repeating all the other reviews on this place I'll just use point form;
Dirty
Musty
Broken
Smelly
Etc etc.

It's a pity because it's in such a nice location, and many many years ago you can tell it was once a nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Shady_guy2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sydney
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Unfortunately we had booked and paid for our room well before reading the reviews from others and had no choice but to stay (night of Christmas Day after visiting family). No-one in reception - all communication was by the office phone. The carpet was not only very stained but obviously had not been vacuumed for some time. Dirty teacups. Walls unpatched and soiled. Our bathroom was horrible: paint OFF walls, dirt ON walls, dirty and cracked handbasin, tissue-thin towels, dirty and broken flyscreen. We did not have a shower at any time as we did not want to disturb the insects in the shower drain and walls. Neglected gardens outside. At least the sheets were clean!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank peter62Sydney

Travelers are raving about these Picton hotels

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We found the place comfortable and clean, easy access to Picton and Surrounds, really not sure what some of the other comments on here were referring to... The lady at reception was lovely and very helpfull, everything in the room was fine and working as it should be,
we will stay there again

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda C
melbourne
Reviewed November 22, 2011

This is my first ever review on a hotel stay, which hopefully reflects my feelings on this place.

1st impression - beautiful gardens and landscaping, rooms look modern and tidy from the outside.

* Reception - checked in at 6:30. automatic check in - which wouldn't work. picked up phone to call for assistance and spoke to a barely coherent woman on the phone. (took about 10 minutes to have her understand my name!). In the end or room key was under the door mat!

* Room - carpets severly stained, very dusty, there was little bed linen (1 blanket total),tiny fridge looked about 30 years old, air conditioner fell apart when we tried to turn on, light in bathroom out, very dirty bathroom (dirt washed off the tiles in shower when water was on them), leaking hot tap (which was so bad that my husband was burnt), phone in room not working and when reception was notified they said "you didnt tell us you wanted to use the phone"

These people need to spend some money on maintenance on the rooms! It is in a beautiful location and is a nice property, and is such a pity to write a review like this as this is the only hotel in Picton that i know of.

Room Tip: dont stay here!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Loz610
Aust
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Do yourself a favour travel a further 10-15 up the road and have a choice of some great affordable accommodation. Don't stop here. I don't like to run a place down so I choose not to write our experience here. But if you feel you wish to stay please check out your room. Switches fittings working, water running as it is tank based, facilities cleaned. You can overlook stains on furniture fabrics. Or is that just an indication?

Anyone with some money to invest? Could be a great project, loads of potential with the right owners and management team.

My last thought .... It certainly no longer is the 41/2 star on the plaque advertised. Gym is a storage room for tools and the restaurant looks very closed. My rating is .... don't stay.

Room Tip: I choose not to place the photos of our room and buildings on display. :-(
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VitaBella10
Coffs Harbour NSW
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Wish I had read these reports before deciding to stay here. No cockroaches, but lots of flies greeted us.
Very run down, neglected, uncared for. Such a shame as the rooms are spacious, good size bathroom, but dirty.
The bathroom had huge cracks all down the shower wall, plus a big jagged piece broken off the soap dish.
Not even a teaspoon to stir the tea!!
3 light bulbs missing, so we had to keep moving them about so we could see.
No chair at the desk, had to poach some from outside we could sit down and eat.
Said it was booked out, but barely anyone here and certainly no one in reception. A barely coherent person on the phone when we booked in.

Room Tip: Don't come here unless there is absolutely no where else to go.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EllaCoffsHarbourNSW
Reviewed October 1, 2011

To begin with I would just like to point out that I have stayed in numerous motels over my time but have never left a review on any accommodation as I have never experienced service like this in my life!
When booking this room my friend payed for two rooms in cash on check in and we were given our keys.
Our first impression was fine. The room seemed clean and met our expectations. However after returning from dinner we went to have a shower but absolutely no water came out of the taps. As it was late we decided that we would wait for the next morning to try again. At approximately 3am we were woken by all the taps exploding with water. We got up and turned them off. The next morning we went to have a shower but found that again no water came out of the taps. We called reception but there was no answer.
We tried again calling a total of seven times. At last a tiny stream of boiling hot water came out so we ended up washing ourselves with face washers!!
We left the room and went into town for breakfast. I realized that I had accidentally left my credit card and license on thebedside table so I called up the motel to check if they had been handed in. The owner told me she had them and to come and collect them. When I arrived I discovered that she had charged my credit card $405 without my consent or signature. When I asked her why this had happened she explained that she thought we had not paid. I reminded her that my friend had paid the day before and after much convincing she admitted the mistake. However instead of reimbursing my money she refunded it in such a way that it was pending in my account for seven days and as a result I wad unable to access my own money. I contacted my bank who assured me that what the owner had done (in terms of charging my account without my consent) was illegal and the only way to resolve the issue of the seven day holding was to have the owner fax a letter of approval to the bank. I contacted the owner and explained my position of not having access to my money and she blatantly refused to complete the fax form and hung up on me.
I felt extremely violated and miss treated. I would strongly suggest rethinking anyplans of staying at waratah retreat as the service is revolting. Further to this the cleanliness was substandard as we discovered an empty condom rapper on the floor next to the bed!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank lr619
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
Maclin Lodge Motel
#1 of 1 in Narellan
Camden Valley Inn
Camden Valley Inn
#1 of 3 in Camden

Been to Picton Valley Motel? Share your experiences!