“I wouldn't stay anywhere else”

Guthega Alpine Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Perisher Valley
Canberra, Australia
“I wouldn't stay anywhere else”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

A week at the Guthega Alpine Inn was sensational - so close to the T-Bar - warm boots to put on every morning after a wonderful breakfast that was swift and served by attentive, friendly staff. Upon return, it was great to reminisce with Nick and Jenny about the exhilaration of skiing the mountain. Saturday afternoon live entertainment was akin to any great bar in Canberra. Evenings by the fireside, in deep conversation with other guests, whose professional backgrounds made it an intellectual feast, which complemented Jenny's culinary skills - the 3 course dinner varied every night and the kitchen was only to happy to adapt according to my requests. My room had a spectacular view and was fitted with all one could wish for after a full day's skiing. I would not stay anywhere else. Fantastic hosts, well-trained staff, a wine list clearly selected for quality and an ambience reminiscent of Europe. Thank you Nick and Jenny - I will be a regular returnee and you have my whole hearted recommendation!

Room Tip: Ask for a bath - it is bliss after a full day on the mountain! The views are awesome whereever you a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was my first time skiing the Australian Alps using Guthega as a base. I first came across this hotel when I used it as a base for walking the Alps in the summer last year. Nick and Jenny made me feel very welcome back then, and the welcome was just as great this winter. The Alpine Hotel has great food, great service and a great ambience. A big log fire, and an eclectic library if you haven't brought anything to read. And the scenery - right on the snow, and it's stunning. If you want disco, loud music, bars and shops - go to Thredbo or Perisher. But if you're just looking for a great place to stay and ski - try this one!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a room with views of the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Echidna-12
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The current managers of this place are awful people. I had been there a number of times with the previous owners and expected to enjoy the same hospitality. But that was not be! Simple things which we all encounter on a daily basis were perverted and twisted into a big issue by the operators. I just wasn't prepared for what was ahead of me. They are curt rude and aggressive. Now I am away from the place, I've thought of many good retorts I could have thrown at them, but my efforts are in vain as I won't be going back while these managers are there. It’s a difficult place to find on skis and while the view is lovely the operators are ugly.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank zipskip

Travelers are raving about these Perisher Valley hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I'd like to begin by saying that after our night at the Guthega Alpine Hotel we referred to the owner as Wally. This was because he resembles the character from "Where's Wally" (minus the stripes). This would be completely acceptable if he wasn't so rude. He works with his wife and daughter and rudeness must be genetic. At no point did we feel welcome, accept when we were keying in our pin numbers when it came time to pay. Avoid this place at all cost. Unless you intend to urinate all over their bathroom. They are apparently new owners and have offended and disappointed almost all members of the lodges situated in Guthega. I've noticed that the reviews of this hell hole are very hot and cold. Perhaps suffering from bi-polar is also genetic? Just don't go there, tell your friends not to go there. The place is very pleasing to the eye but the Taj Mahal would get horrible reviews if it were run by these sad angry people.

Room Tip: Any room is a bad room, any good review was written by Wally himself. AVOID AVOID AVOID!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Frank M
Reviewed July 20, 2012

dropped in for lunch and were treated so badly by staff. Dont recommend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sarah M
Reviewed September 8, 2011

After skiing Blue Cow /Guthega on the morning of Fathers Day we decided it would be a nice idea to go to the Guthega Hotel for a memorable lunch. Yes, memorable it was for all the wrong reasons!

We entered the hotel after it had begun to rain, hung our jackets and proceeded to the bar. An extremely unfriendly lady took our drink order and we proceeded to a table. After considering the menu I ordered. As we had three kids with us I asked if they could simply make a bowl of fries. I was quickly told that was not possible, the kids meal came with fish. I should have known when I read the sign at the bar that stated sharing a meal would have an additional cost (because two sets of cutlery would be required). Dare I ask for BBQ sauce.

Quite simply the kids fish and chips came with about 10 chips and one strip of measly fish eaten in 2 bites. The hotel was reatively quiet with another two tables occupied. After eating I proceeded to the fire when the owner came over and asked where we were staying. When I proceeded to tell her she quickly told us the sitting area was for guests only. Where was the sign? Dare I sit near a fire that clearly had no-one else around. I have never felt so unwelcome in an establishment as I did that day.

Whilst The Guthega Hotel is in a lovely position it is an absolute shame that it is owned and mangaged by the most inhospitable lady I have ever come across in the hospitality industry. The fire may have been warm but the owner (Jenny, I believe) is as cold as ice. Stay away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
20 Thank rsmstsjs
Umina Beach
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I, together with two friends, stayed at the Guthega Alpine Inn for the first time, in August 2011 for a weekend of skiing. We were all very excited to be away and be without our kiddies.. (sorry, kiddies!) so were amped about our stay @ Guthega Alpine Inn as it has always been our favourite lunch spot.. Their goulash soup is TO DIE FOR! Match that with a nice cold european beer for lunch together with the spectacular view over the Main Range and Dam - you just cant beat the Guthega Alpine Hotel!

Upon check-in / arrival, our copious amounts of baggage and ski & snowboard gear were packed into the little buggy and off we went... The managers, Jenny & Nick were hospitable and EXTREMELY generous as they had donated a gift voucher for FREE for a weekend's accommodation, including breaky & dinners for four adults in peak ski season!

The Guthega Alpine Inn hotel itself has a unique charm about it.. We absolutely loved our stay and will definately be back again! We spent both afternoons in the sauna and hot tub after some hard skiing all day and then ate the most fabulous three course dinners EVER!

Whilst we were there, the Wallabies were due to play & I hoped and prayed that they would show it at the hotel, as I love my Wallabies, and they did - the ambience was fantastic in the place and the hotel was so packed as lodgers from other private lodges in Guthega had been invited to join in to watch.. sadly we lost though! The staff were even kind enough to come into the bar and take the guests, dinner orders whilst we watched the rugby game which was really nice of them so we didnt miss out on dinner!

We had a fabulous weekend and would HIGHLY recommend to couples, friends, families with older children etc. Not a place however, for 'shananigans' as the Guthega Alpine Inn is very classy hotel and of quite a high standard.

Guthega Alpine Inn oozes charm, class and elegance - We LOVED LOVED LOVED the Guthega Alpine Inn and will definately be BACK!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
#7 of 8 in Perisher Valley
Marritz Hotel
Marritz Hotel
#5 of 8 in Perisher Valley

Been to Guthega Alpine Hotel? Share your experiences!