“Consistently good”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We eat here at least once a fortnight and have never been disappointed.
Their menu is interesting and inventive, the food consistently good and the coffee excellent.

There are newer reviews for Oaklands Cafe

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Apologies Oaklands. I didn't want to stop when one of our group suggested it. I thought you were another tourist trap with uninteresting over priced food. Now I can't wait to return. The cafe is part of a complex comprising a plant nursery, stock feed, gourmet food,and homewares shops and a petting shed. There could even be more, it is big. The first hint this place was good was the number of tables with reserved signs on them. There is plenty of outdoor seating with umbrellas. Indoors it has a rustic Australian theme, plenty of large heavy wood tables to cater for groups and smaller ones too, and a lovely stone fireplace. The menu was comprehensive. Our order ranged from kid's meals, pannini on house made bread, Turkish pide and mains. The lady serving us was great, she explained each menu item and gave good recommendations. I really appreciated how she spoke to the children in the group, letting them give their own orders. The stand-out meal was the pork belly in balsamic dressing with strawberries. Even the children were begging the lucky recipients for more off their plate. The cakes going past us looked substantial. I was thrilled to see an eggless cake (having an egg allergy) as well as gluten free on the menu. Whenever I stop for a coffee I love a place that has new magazines and papers to read. And there were!
To end the meal on an even nicer note, the cashier was more than happy to split the bill for our families. Some of our group were quite serious about going for a walk and coming back for afternoon tea. Instead we took the children to the petting shed. A gold coin donation and we could pat or observe goats and kids, alpacas, ducks, chickens and chicks, kittens, ostriches, peahens and chicks, horses, camels, donkeys, a mule and cattle. There were pony rides too. I wish I had read a previous review reminding you to check shoes for poo. My son later realized he had spread something all over the carpet in the car!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We live near here and have eaten here perhaps twenty times. We have rarely been less than delighted. Not many places that can promise that. It ain't fancy but it is good.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Origionally came to Oaklands as my wide wanted to go trail riding but she backed out when she found out that there it was with a fairly inexperienced group. Not that it mattered in the end as we spent a lot of time with our 2 small boys looking at and petting the large range of animals in the shed. Dogs, cats, goats, ponys, hens, alpacas, ostriches, camels, a large hairy pig, a fawn, guinea pigs, sheep, horses, donkeys and Texas long horns! Some of the animals roam freely so I spent a fair bit of time cleaning dung off my kids shoes. Keep an eye out!

I finally got back to the cafe with the family and had a great breakfast. I had the museli, yougurt and stewed rhubarb and my wife had the asparagus and Camembert frittata while the boys shared pancakes. The staff were really friendly and we had great service in the cafe.

If you want to spend more money there is the nursery for plants, a small deli area featuring local produce, a store with home crafts etc. and there was an exhibition of local art for sale as well.

The only low point was in the home craft store when my 4 year old dropped a plastic spoon he was looking at and was berated by one of the young girls working there. Totally our of order and very poor service as he had been quite well behaved (not always the case) and it was an accident and there was no damage done. Needless to say after my wife said her piece we left. We enjoyed breakfast so much we returned the next day. Needless to say we did not go into the home craft store.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had afternoon tea in the cafe before taking the kids out to see the animals...so everyone was happy! Great food and service in the cafe.
It is a gold coin donation to visit the animals, which holds around 10 or so animals which the kids can touch and get up close to. Horse rides for the little ones is only $5.
Nice afternoon out.