“Little gem of a hotel in a perfect location.”

Martys at Little Beach
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Nelson Bay
Sydney, Australia
“Little gem of a hotel in a perfect location.”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I booked Marty's for a quick getaway from the city for our anniversary. Marty's is in a perfect location only a 2min walk between 2 beaches and about 2km from Shoal Bay Shops and Nelson Bay. The service at Marty's was fantastic and the cleanliness of the hotel and facilities was spot on. For less than $100 per night it was a bargain give. How lovely and modern the rooms felt. We will definitely be back and have already spread the word to friends and family back home.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Jaidonaldson23
Jenn A, Manager at Martys at Little Beach, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Many thanks for your great review.
It is very rewarding when we receive good feedback from our guests.
Love to welcome you back !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I booked in November to stay at Marty's this January long weekend as a Christmas present for my husband. I booked it due to it's location in Nelson Bay as I had booked him a day out diving in the area. I also booked as it was ranked #1 on Trip Advisor.

However, on Tuesday this week Marty's phoned and cancelled my booking due to issues with the room I had been allocated. They were not able to have the room ready in time.
I understand why the booking was cancelled but I was extremely disappointed that Marty's didn't do more to provide alternates for us, and to assist with the additional cost of booking somewhere else so last minute.

Marty's recommended two other properties that had availability. I reviewed them on the internet and selected one that had a separate bedroom as we were travelling with my one year old and need a separate living space once he goes to bed at night (we had a 2 bed apartment booked with Marty's).

When I phone Marty's back expecting them to follow up bookings for me, I was told that I needed to re-book elsewhere myself which was disappointing. I had prepaid the full amount for Marty's booking through Expedia so Marty's offered to transfer the booking to another weekend. This was not suitable as long weekend was booked specifically for my husband to go diving. So I asked for a refund that was arranged although I have not received as yet.

When I phoned the other recommended accommodation that I believed was suitable I was told it was going to cost $500 at least for the 2 nights, rather than the $383 I had paid for Marty's, obviously much cheaper as I had planned in advance. I also found out that the apartment had stairs so was not suitable for a one year old who had just started walking.

So having spent most of yesterday trying to find alternate accommodation three days before a long weekend we have given up and cancelled our trip and the dive that was my husband's Christmas gift.

I am very disappointed that Marty's didn't make more of an effort to find us alternate accommodation considering I had booked so long ago and paid in full for the accommodation. I would also have liked them to offer to wear some of the cost as they cancelled our booking so last minute, and before a long weekend with high costs.

2 Thank katysue72
Jenn A, Manager at Martys at Little Beach, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
We do understand your disappointment and frustration and hope you allow us to explain in further detail. It was very unfortunate that we had to cancel your booking .... obviously we do not like to take this action for financial/business reasons but more importantly we do not like to disappoint our guests as we continually strive to provide excellent customer service and achieve guest satisfaction, but it was totally ' out of our control'. The apartment had been destroyed by previous guests and because of the time of year and the upcoming long weekend it was impossible for us to have the repairs completed prior to your arrival date. I am sure you would not have been happy to be placed into an apartment that was obviously in need of repairs. Had we not been fully booked it would have been our utmost pleasure to reallocate/ upgrade you to another apartment.

We attempted to find alternative accommodation similar to those offered at Marty's. After contacting a number of properties to deem availability we suggested these to you for you to contact to assess the suitability for your family.
We also offered alternative dates with a complimentary upgrade to a larger apartment but understand that you had already made other plans to coincide with your stay so this was not a solution. We immediately contacted Expedia ( you processed your booking through them so the refund is processed by them) and requested an immediate full refund to you.

We did try very hard to find a solution but obviously we "let you down" .
We sincerely offer our apologies again
Sydney
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at Marty's over the summer break and found the set up to be fantastic for little children. The pool was a perfect size for our five year old to splash around in. Situated between two beaches, the location was brilliant!

Found the staff to be very accommodating and friendly.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor, providing direct access to the pool, garden and BBQ.
1 Thank egordze
Our appreciation to you for your wonderful review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We had a really pleasent stay at Martys and I would definitely recommend it. It wasn't the cheapest accomodation, but then Australia does tend to be a little pricey when you are coming from the UK.

The room was nice, good air con (a little annoying that it went off after 2 hours during the night though and you had to get up!), good fridge, little balcony, clean towels every two days, good (very warm) pool, nice reception (though sometimes inconvenient that they close at 5pm when we needed help booking restaurants!), fantastic location and good car park which is free. There is also a BBQ that you can use which we thought was a nice touch and we would have used if staying with friends.

The room was nice and clean though did smell slightly off bug spray for our whole stay and I couldn't work out why! But that didn't matter, it was definitely not over bearing. Bathroom and shower were good.

Nice short walk to beachs.

Definitely do the walk up Tomaree Head, it's a beautiful view. Also if you have a car try and head to Soldiers Point for a sunset, it's really lovely there and there's a fantastic restaurant called The Deck. It's about 25 mins from the hotel in a car.

Restaurants in town weren't fantastic to be honest but the beaches make up for that! There is suposed to be a great restaurant at Little Beach, but make sure you pre-book as we couldnt get a table!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenn A, Manager at Martys at Little Beach, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.
We hope your stay at Marty's will be a great memory of your Aussie holiday !
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed here in a King Studio apartment overlooking the pool for 4 days. The place was incredibly clean and spacious, the bed very comfortable & the bbq area was well maintained and also spotless. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Marty's is a perfect place to stay which is central to everything...beaches, water sports, shopping, etc. Loved it here and will definitely be back but next time for a longer stay!

1 Thank HappyHolidays365812
Jenn A, Manager at Martys at Little Beach, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Sounds as though you enjoyed your stay ( ? !!)
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review ... it certainly assists our property.
We look forward to your return
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We loved marty's at Little Beach!!At first glance, the gardens and grounds were delightful and pleasantly surprising.The room was spacious and homely with a perfect aspect.......which made staying there a delight.The bathroom was huge and beautifully designed as well.The renovations have been really well done. In fact,we thought the accommodation was perfect.There is nothing we could fault.From the changing of towels, tea towels every 2nd day, to the pristine upkeep of the grounds and the facilities.....it made the holiday a delight.It was peaceful and cool at night as well.The highlight for us was the use of the nicely heated, but refreshing pool amongst palms and a lush green lawn.The kids absolutely loved the pool and we couldn't keep them away.
The walk to Little Beach was perfect for the kids, as well as the walk to the nearby fish n chips shop, which made dinner time decisions easy and quick.We also walked to Nelson Bay along the shoreline...which meant the car was hardly used.
We love Marty's now that we have discovered it, and have already booked our next holiday there.Highly recommended....and a great holiday destination.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are perfect for families with little children as they open out to a fully enc...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Jodie L
Jenn A, Manager at Martys at Little Beach, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Hello Jodie... Glad to see you have arrived home safely. Wow ... you REALLY did like us !
Our many thanks for taking the time to post this fantastic review. We are very proud of Marty's and it is very rewarding when our guests appreciate the 'little extras' and the hard work that goes into our gardens, facilities and our cleanliness.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again !
Kurri Kurri, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Was so happy to find this little Oasis near Little Beach, Nelson Bay. It initially seemed out of the way, but we soon discovered it was convenient to either laid back cafe's with great coffee, and awesome fish and chips or fine dining at the Boathouse Restaurant.
It doesn't matter which way the winds are blowing, as you can have the protection of Little Beach or the cool breeze of Shoal Bay beach. Both not 150m walk away.
The facilities are newly renovated and clean to the extreme. Apartment we stayed in was fully self contained, with stove top, microwave, and fridge. BBQ area was just outside our room, and like the rest of the place beautifully clean.
Like us you will find it is a perfect family getaway.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 5
1 Thank Nick S
Jenn A, Manager at Martys at Little Beach, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
We are very pleased that your enjoyed your stay at Marty's !
I will certainly pass on your great comments to our 'houskeeping staff ' !!
I must also agree .... The Little Beach Boathouse and Bites on the Bay certainly provide
excellent meals and service to our guests.
Would love to welcome you back ... don't forget about our 'pet-friendly' apartment