“Going back again”

Dining options: Reservations
Newcastle, Australia
“Going back again”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

So excited, we've just booked to visit Ritual again. This is a unique place, put your preconceived ideas aside and just go with it. Worth splashing out on the matching wines even if you're not that into your wines etc. We live locally, so know how unusual this place is for a small town. It is expensive, but it's a special place so go once if you can.

• Visited July 2011

Melbourne
“Unbelievable Experience!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

This restaurant holds really special memories for me. My fiance proposed just before arriving at Ritual. The staff helped my partner organise the event and really went out of there way to ensure this was a special evening.
The food was amazing - never experienced anything like this before - Gastronomy at it's best!
The science behind the meals, the taste, presentation was the best i have ever seen and i have eaten at a lot of places all over the world.
What a gem in an unknown area - we will continue to go back year after year to celebrate this special occasion.

• Visited November 2011
Sydney, Australia
“Unforgettable”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Ritual Restaurant in Nelson Bay has an absolutely amazing philosophy of serving food and I strongly recommend this place to everyone who appreciates great food. Even though our main dish was slightly ordinary (I mean it was still chicken with chocolate), all the other dishes more than made up for it with their uniqueness, flavour, and presentation. It was also great to get a chance to talk to the chef/owner after dinner when he came out for a chat.

There are a couple of things though that I would like to warn potential guests about. Firstly, the price as stated on the restaurant's website is misleading. The price has now risen to $110 per head, creating an unprofessional surprise on the night when this had not been communicated to you at the time you had to sign up to a no show fee and provide your credit card details. Secondly, the matching tea option may include a coffee and again, this is not explained to you at all. You're simply served coffee after ordering tea, whether you like coffee or not.

• Visited February 2012
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
“Daring, Innovative, Entertaining”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

To dine at Ritual is a very special experience. It's entertaining because of the different approach to food and palate. It's a delight to the human sense of taste, as well as the challenge of focussing on what's happening. It's not a meal as such, it's a gastronomic journey through some fascinating landscapes. My only disappointment was that I was driving and chose not to drink the matching alcohol. Full credit to the chef and his wife for their efforts in taking humble diners to lands previously undiscovered. As one diner said of one dish - this is not a mix of ingredients, but a mix of two completely separate tastes in the mouth at the same time.

• Visited January 2012
Cessnock, New South Wales, Australia
“Easily the best food experience I've ever had!!”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Every dish was an amazing taste explosion. I've never seen food so well presented. Each plate was a work of art. The staff were friendly, and were helpful in explaining each course and how to eat it for us.
I went there with my work mates as our Christmas party, and though the restaurant traditionally just holds 12-18 people, there were 24 of us. The staff were so eager to have us in, they had to find extra wine glasses and chairs for all of us.
Easily the best restaurant I have been to in the Newcastle area, and I definitely intend to return. Thank you Ritual Restaurant! (:

• Visited December 2011