“Disgusting, no respect for elderly”

Peninsula Nelson Bay
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Nelson Bay
Hobart
“Disgusting, no respect for elderly”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

This was meant to be a special occasion for my elderly mother who is 86 years old. It was my Dad’s anniversary of when he passed and my mum wanted to make a special pilgrimage to one of their favourite places they enjoyed when my dad was still alive.
Instead of a four star deluxe room with a private balcony that I had paid for we were placed in a 2 star conjoined like cabin room. It was not part of the Peninsula Nelson bay hotel but over the road at a very busy intersection that was dangerous to cross and no pedestrian crossing.
When my mother complained to the manager Mark, she felt like he treated her like an imbecile. He seemed to shout it at her that the other rooms had stairs and he did not seem to listen to her tell him how dangerous the road was to cross when we went to the dining room for breakfast etc.
Stairs would have been preferable for my mum than this very busy intersection crossing.
(There were just as many rooms downstairs as there was upstairs).
Our 2 star budget room was next door to a group of rowdy workmen who sat outside our conjoined rooms socialising. The workmen were friendly enough, just very noisy, especially when the windows needed to be left open to eliminate the stuffy smell in the room.
The only alternative I was given by the manager (Mark) was to pay an additional $150 for an upgrade. There was no reimbursement whatsoever for the downgrade.
I have never encountered such appalling treatment and negative attitude anywhere as we received from the management at the Peninsula Nelson Bay. Manager (Mark) informed me he was acting under strict instructions from the owners – ‘a group of lawyers’. Perhaps he was trying to intimidate me with the words ‘a group of lawyers’ – he gave me their contact details – but my email was answered by Mark himself only. Funny that!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank oinkyone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Polish first
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2012

The features of this place were not what we were promised when we spoke to the person over the phone.
The room and amenities were filthy.
When we addressed these problems with the staff, they were not accommodating, no-one was available to make a decision, assist us or give us answers. They seemed more interested in us Paying Now...and working it out later....We asked to speak to the manager (or someone in charge) but were not allowed and only allowed to leave our details. The staff promised us the Management would contact us back. They never did. We have called a number of times since then asking for Management to contact us. They still have not.
Not family friendly, cannot be trusted and cannot be relied upon!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Dave F

Travelers are raving about these Nelson Bay hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We were a group of 2 couples looking for a cheapish break who stayed in the deluxe 2 bed apartment for a weekend. We found the Peninsula's apartments ideal for our needs - we wanted to be able to cook and avoid the hot midday sun without being cramped, but not pay a fortune for a hotel room when we mainly planned to be out and about exploring.

The Peninsula's location isn't great if you want to be able to walk to Nelson Bay or Shoal Beach in moments, but if you have a car it's ideal. Where the motel has an edge is in the size of the rooms and the cleanliness of the property - they're a bit more spacious and better maintained than a lot of other similar properties and a pleasant place to spend a few days. The staff were pleasant and the whole resort was in good nick - clean and well maintained, and not noisy in the evenings.

One major plus is that Nelson Bay Diggers is just 200m walk down the road, and has a choice of several bistros, cafes and a reasonably lively bar - there was a live band and DJ playing to a family-filled crowd while we were there on a Saturday, and the party was still going strong when we left a bit after midnight.

I wouldn't rant and rave about how wonderful it was, but I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: The 2 bed room apartments have plenty of space to spread out and a reasonable kitchen with plenty of...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sadhbhzilla
brisbane
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Stayed 2 nights @ $85p.n. which I thought was good value as I think they put me into a better room. Room was good size and quite comfortable. Bed was not soft but found that with all motels I stayed in. They were very friendly and helpful and flexible and made my stay enjoyable. Restaurant on site but only open a couple of nights a week, and not the nights of my stay.

Visited the Diggers Club and can recommend. Food there was excellent.

Room Tip: Be sure of the type of room you are getting. Large property with rooms from budget to suites.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank gingerspice55
Sydney
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Booked two nights with my partner in this hotel while attending freediving course in Nelson Bay. First night we stayed in Deluxe room and the second night we had to stay in budget room as all deluxe rooms were booked out. Deluxe room was all right, all clean and tidy, we came too late, and I spent almost all day at the course, so did not have much time to wonder around the hotel.

We had a dinner in the restaurant on the first floor, which was fantastic. Nice house wine, steaks and fish selection.

The staff was very kind to us, when we moved to the budget room, we felt that it might become a bit cold after sunset, so we were kindly given an electric heater. Everything in the budget room is clean including bathroom. I liked budget room even more than deluxe room because of convenience. You can park your car by the door of your room.

The downside was the included breakfast. If you want eggs and beacon, which I thought was standard in many hotels, you need to pay for it separately, otherwise you end up having a toast and butter with tea or cofee.

Also we had drunk teenagers in the neighbouring rooms who did not shut up all night and kept awakening me during the night, but this is not the hotels fault.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sadikhov
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Located 2 min walk from the Nelson Bay RSL and about 10min walk into Nelson Bay itself. Easy stroll to beach and other activities.
This hotel is a standard hotel and you 'get what you paid for'. Our room was listed as deluxe and their were 2 of us staying. Our room had a Queen bed and sofa bed, LCD tv, fridge, toaster, kettle etc. Had a restaurant, pool/spa and parking, however we did not eat there. We got a pretty good rate $90/night. Staff were helpful and friendly. Only gripe is $16/day internet (wifi)
I would recommend this hotel for travelers looking to relax or or couples!
TIP: the RSL is only accross the road and they have cheap cheap meals every day of the week - starting at $7.50.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Didn't look like much but was a very pleasant stay. The new managers Dan & Michelle are wonderful people and the rooms where clean and nice. Thank you. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Salamander Bay
Martys at Little Beach
Martys at Little Beach
#1 of 16 in Nelson Bay

Been to Peninsula Nelson Bay? Share your experiences!