“Relax and unwind in style”
Review of Bali at the Bay

Bali at the Bay
Ranked #3 of 5 Nelson Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Had a truly excellent and relaxing stay at the Bali at the Bay - the perfect escape from the stresses of everyday life. You're left to your own devices to relax, indulge, have fun….
The accommodation is comprised of two self-contained self-catering apartments. Both have car-parking, there are laundry facilities (with washing powder supplied).
The upstairs apartment has two large double beds, a sizeable kitchen - featuring large dinner table, halogen hob/grill, oven, microwave, kettle, toaster, expresso maker,etc etc etc. The lounge is sizeable too, with a large sofa and chair, both styled in bamboo, a Bose sound system - TV, DVD, Ipod Dock. The bathroom features a large Jacuzzi bath. Outside are three verandas, one with a large sofa, one with a breakfast table and chairs and one with two loungers.
All rooms are decorated in a Balinese style, tastefully adorned with statues and flowers. Scented candles and incense sticks add to the ambience when required.
Your welcome pack includes your first breakfast - croissants, strawberries, etc, also camembert, chocolates, beer and sparking wine to set the mood.
The location is on a street corner, but road noise is minimal, opposite is Anzac Park, a taste of the wild- as you can walk through it in two mins to a beautiful sandy beach - Shoal Bay.
Shoal Bay centre is about 10 mins walk, and has several good restaurants and an IGA supermarket. Other facilities are also available in Nelsons Bay nearby. Recommend the walk to the top of Tomaree head, for excellent panoramic views of the Port Stephens area.
Definitely recommended for a relaxing get-away/special occasion. For longer stays, it might be worth agreeing with the owners as when best to pop in to change linen/towels etc. - just so you can keep up the mood of seclusion!

Room Tip: Upstairs for seclusion, downstairs if you fancy an outdoor barbie!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ManWithSillyHat
There are newer reviews for Bali at the Bay

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I am sitting here surrounded by utter luxury. There are literally tens of thousands of dollars worth of additions that this place offers over and above any place I've stayed. The carved veranda posts, the authentic statues, the freshly oiled teak fittings, furniture, the curved timber window heads, the massive bamboo lounge, the over-abundance of cushions and on the verandah day bed too. The Bose sound system is crystal clear, the glass is crystal clean. The same for every single surface-so thoroughly clean, even the kitchen wear; quality glass and silverware. Sheets and towels; you'd swear they were brand new.

Fresh flowers, candles, incense champagne provided. Lamps and ambient dim-able lighting throughout. Wait til you see the bathroom. Double spa, looking into private garden with lit statues and plants. It's perfect! Even the gardens, on the way to my private car port there are water features with soft lighting and lush tropical plants. The slate paths have just been resealed, everything is immaculate. Unique and exotic and enchanting. The whole place is so sensual; we feel like king and queen.

I haven't seen a soul since arrival, except my partner. We have decided never to go out to dinner from here. Instead we dress up and get delivery because the decor and ambience here leaves even the finest restaurant a disappointment.

We do take a walk on the beach at dusk. Shoal Bay is right there at the end of the street and it is raved about everywhere in tourism and for good reason too.

Sharne and Grant are passionate about hospitality and they keep upgrading this place too. They have more than succeeded in making Bali At The Bay unique, exquisite, special, unequalled. There are many places where you would pay three times the price and get a lot less.

Photos on the website are great but still hard to get an idea of just how special this place is. You simply must come and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brent L
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I can't believe anyone would give this place a bad review.

The owners were incredibly friendly and helpful, especially through the complications that happened during the time that we were booking. When we arrived, we received a guided tour through the stunning lower apartment and several suggestions for local activities.

The room(s) is/are to die for. Between the private location and the beautiful decor, we never wanted to leave! We spent two days there during a torrential downpour which left all of our other plans cancelled, and we were perfectly happy staying inside the luxurious suite all day, hanging out in the enormous spa tub or watching movies on their incredibly comfortable lounge.

Even though we didn't get to do much in the Port Stephens area during our stay (thanks to the rain), it's easy to see that this place is in a really prime location. It's a roughly two minute walk from the beach, and not too far from shops/food.

Honestly, our only complaint was the movie choice in the room, and judging by other reviews, the wonderful owners are happy to exchange them upon request. We just happened to be staying during their family holidays.

Overall, this place is absolutely incredible! We'll definitely be going back for our first wedding anniversary :)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank iJaffa
Reviewed October 23, 2011

we spent the most amazing time here. we had our first girls weekend here.First we stayed in the SHINTO apartment downstairs. I'm a picky bperson, I couldn't find fault with this place. first you see the sheer opulence of the bali decor! The beautiful scents of bali frangipani and chinese orchids! Very quiet, relaxing peaceful and calming, with stressed mums looking for a peaceful getaway, this one did the trick! we literally forgot about our families( it sounds bad) but thats how magical it is. you go to Bali without flying. what a private beautiful world this place is. The Owners are fantastic and cater to you every selfish whim. we were spoilt rotten! Thatnk you Bali on the Bay, From Carla, Joanne and Vicki. We will definetly be back! PROMISE!

Room Tip: enjoy more value and experience with the lower apartment Shinto
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carla6789
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I have visited Bali At The Bay so many times now that I really do not remember the number but it is at least 6 times, once even being our honey moon destination. I have been incredibly shocked to read some of the negative reviews written below, particularly those of the hosts, and therefore must share my experience.

Sharne and Grant have always been the most welcoming and obliging hosts from the very first vist to the last, so much so that they now feel like friends and visiting BATB now is as much about catching up with them as it is enjoying this most special place.

Although the surroundings, the architecture, the furnishings, the facilities, the special touches (which the photos on website speak for themselves) are pivotal in making this place as special as it is, for me, foremost it is the ambiance of the place that from the moment you step through the door the hussle and bussle of city life just washes off you and the relaxation takes over. Second to that, is the hosts themselves, that make you feel welcome, comfortable and important, but most of all remain descreet (unless you feel like a good chat and then they are most obliging!) so you can feel alone in this peaceful, calming haven.

The first thing I ever noticed was just how clean and well presented it is which is such a nice feeling in comparison to some of the hotel rooms I have stayed in around Australia and the rest of the world. The fresh flowers, incense burning and ambiant music greets you and you immediately know you are somewhere different from the norm. The welcoming champagne and cheese platter is always a hit with me.

Grant is a movie and music lover and this is offered in abundance (and if there's isnt a movie that catches your fancy he is more than happy to change the selection with a more vast collection he has in the office). Fantastic selection on the IPod which I never find time to listen to everything I would like.

I have stayed in both apartments and both have something different to offer. My favourite is the downstairs Shinto Apartment as you have use of the bbq area, hammock and garden. And the spa bathroom decorated with gorgeous green stone is just my favourite with a selection of bath oils, candles and incense always on offer to make bathtime so much more special!

However the upstairs Nirvana Apartment is surrounded by wide, beautifully craved timber verandahs which allow you to be at tree level with the stunning and serene bush reserve opposite, beautiful way to enjoy a morning coffee or an afternoon beer. So much more I could say about the interior design and lush gardens but the photos on website really will give you the picture.

The house is situation on a corner street but to say this is a busy street is just not accurate. The thing I love about the street is that with a short 3 minute stroll the beach is at the end of it! This has not been mentioned and yet it is one of the best aspects of this destination. 50 mtrs across the street you enter the most glorious bush reserve which has bush paths to walk along if you would rather reach the beach this way. It is such a quiet street you can meander along it without a care, only occasionaly moving aside for a local car.

A special treat that can be found on this street is an afternoon ritual. Towards the beach end on the left you will find in the front yard of one of the houses a gathering of many, many of the local birdlife who come and have their afternoon feed provided by the home owner. This is something special and well worth observing and is always on my list of things to do.

As for privacy, well I have never found this to be an issue. As I've said you are on a quiet street with a bush reserve the whole length of one side, not surrounded by high rises, and although the hosts are right next door in their own home, they keep to themselves and you only see them if you want to.

In addition to all that, the overall destination of Port Stephens has so much to offer and many things to do and really has become a family favourite.

I honestly CANNOT recommend this place highly enough. If you are looking for a holiday or a short break that is relaxing, peaceful, accomodation that is different to the norm, and a time to really reconnect with yourself and your partner, then this is the place for you.

Oh no! Now I've written all that, I'm starting to have Bali At The Bay withdrawels....think it might be time to visit!

Room Tip: This place is something different!
  • Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ninawheeler
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We received very friendly service from the proprietors of Bali at the Bay. They were helpful and had a wonderful knowledge of the local area, restaurants and available tours. They also provided us with details of a sailing company (Blue Water Sailing) and we were lucky enough to have an entire 46ft yacht to ourselves for four hours, along with the freshest seafood platter I have had in my life.

The entire area of the property was beautiful. From the moment I stepped out of my car I could smell the incense burning and hear the wooden wind chimes sounding. We stayed in the downstairs two bedroom apartment, which was absolutely stunning. I could not find one detail that had been overlooked, from the amazing carved architraves and doors, the incense and candles, to the frangipani and orchid flowers tucked into the smallest spots. The private BBQ area was lovely, as were the hammock and deck chairs. Although I didn't use it, there were also laundry facilities on-site.

Another thing worth mentioning is the kitchen. When we arrived it was already stocked with fruit, cheese, biscuits, milk, cereal, eggs - the list goes on. I found this a very nice touch after driving 4hrs to get there.

In terms of the living area, DVDs and CDs are provided, together with an iPod stocked with relaxing music. There is an LCD on the wall and a BOSE sound system, which, as a music lover, made my weekend.

The only slightly negative thing that I would like to mention is that the sound from upstairs does seem to travel down into the lower apartment. During the day, you don't really notice it, but as I am a light sleeper, it did disturb me a few times. But, having said that, it would not deter me from staying there again. It's a small price to pay!

I would definitely like to return to Bali at the Bay in the future.

Room Tip: Book upstairs apartment, believe it's quieter
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2011

My husband and I had an all too short stay at Bali at the Bay whilst visiting our son in Sydney from the UK. We found the accommodation to be spot on - very, clean, luxurious and with a great attention to detail. We were in the upstairs apartment and certainly found it very private and romantic and we didn't encounter any of the negatives mentioned in a previous review.

The owners were very welcoming and friendly and really helped to make our short visit a very memorable and special one. The proximity to the beach was certainly an added bonus.

We loved Bali at the Bay and wouldn't hesitate to revisit when we're next over from the UK.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Shoal Bay
Anchorage Port Stephens
Anchorage Port Stephens
#1 of 3 in Corlette

Been to Bali at the Bay? Share your experiences!