“Disappointed Kiwis” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Nelson Bay
Auckland
“Disappointed Kiwis”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

Travelled to Nelson Bay from New Zealand and met up with Australian based family. Booked Landmark through our travel agent as it was advertised as having wonderful views of the Bay. When we booked in we discovered that our view was of the golf club carpark and not of the bay. Receptionist that evening was unable to help with our complaint and said to see the duty manager the next morning. The man on reception the next morning was most unhelpful and really didnt care the we were so disappointed at our room allocation. He said that New South Wales Holidays who our agent booked through only had an allocation of the back no view rooms. If I had wanted a room with no view I would have booked a cheap motel not paid top rates. What was intended as a treat for my Australian family turned out to be a major disappointment and although we really like the area we would not stay ay Landmark again and would not recommend this property to travellers especially if you are booking through a travel agent.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
landmarkresort2315, General Manager at The Landmark Nelson Bay, responded to this review, July 22, 2009
On behalf of the management team I would like to clarify your comments. I can understand if the unit allocated was not what you had expected, and when expectations are not met it would naturally lead to some disappointment. In this case however you were allocated the correct unit in accordance with our designated contract with the travel agent. All our descriptions with this unit type (2 bed standard) on our own website and the last minute website such as "Wotif" clearly define these units as being two bedroom standard with no water views. These unit descriptions are also held by all our valued contracted travel agents, and as such we would expect they fully inform all clients of the correct unit description at the time of their holiday purchase.
As stated previously this of course will not eliminate your disappointment and for that I can only apologise. If returning to the area again, I would certainly recommend our two bedroom waterviews or executive units to gain the beautiful views of the Port Stephens Bay for which the Landmark Resort is famous.

Regards
Graeme Stubbs
The Landmark Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Wolverhampton, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

We spent one night here as we hired a car and toured the area from Sydney as part of our honeymoon.

The weather was awful, torrential rain, which meant our view of Port Stephens in general was a bit tainted.

The Landmark was easy to find, had plenty of parking and the rooms were spacious.

We had a spa bath (nice) and a balcony with a decent view.

Nothing to rave about, and the hotel restaurant was shut for a refurb so didn't use any facilities but for a one night stay it was neat, comfy and well located.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Picton, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2009

After reading some very " ordinary " reviews of this place , I was a little apprehensive as to what we were about to find on arrival . The check in was carried out with efficiency by a very polite young lady . The facilities and attractions of the area were explained as was the after hours access to the hotel , we were assured that we would " definitely not locked out if returned after hours . The car park has easy access and offers direct access to the lift and rooms . We had a 5th floor apartment with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms , the master one having a spa bath in addition to a shower and a bidet . The accomodation was a little on the small side but was clean and absolutely no evidence of cockroaches was found . The kitchen was not very well equipped , no range hood resulting in the in room smoke alarm activating , no oven facilities and only a basic 2 ring electric hob . The living room had a large screen TV + DVD player . The bedrooms had no alarm clocks , the beds were comfortable though . On the down side , the electric iron was in a dangerous condition with frayed and bare wires showing , this was reported . The baby high chair we requested had dirty straps . The overall decorative condition left a little to be desired , and the room obviously hadn't been painted for a while . There was only 2 baggage trolleys available to service the whole establishment , and the lifts sounded and felt as if they were about to break down at any minute . Taking everything into consideration , The Landmark provided a good standard of facilities , such as a swimming pool , steam room , on site restaurant and impressive check in area , but fell down slightly on it's room facilities .. I would stay there again , but only only if I could get a really good deal ...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Burleigh Heads Q Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

Landmark was disappointing - rates excessive for the top accommodation and difficult to find what the real rates are - poor administration on check-in - out of service internet facilities - but a great location for Nelson Bay Golf Club

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
landmarkresort2315, General Manager at The Landmark Nelson Bay, responded to this review, May 12, 2009
Dear guest, here at The Landmark we value all comments be they good or bad, as we strive to further improve our reputation under the new management company. As part of that service I am ultimately responsible for the supervision of our reception staff and if your "check in" was less than satisfactory I sincerely apologise. The internet cafe is provided by a third party contractor and unfortunately from time to time it may suffer a service fault which can take some hours to get rectified.
I am pleased to note that the rooms / location and cleanliness ratings were all three star or above.
If there was confusion in relation to your rates I would greatly appreciate if you could take the time to contact me to explain in greater detail how we at the resort can further improve our customer relations in this area.
Mr Graeme Stubbs
The Landmark Resort
gm@thelandmarknelsonbay.com

Travelers are raving about these Nelson Bay hotels

newcastle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

My boyfriend took me away for a weekend to nelson bay for my birthday. He booked the room through watif at the last minute to surprise me. It was at discounted rate, the room was supposed to be a $259 per night room if not at the watif rate. Wow! Yes I was definately surprised, surprised at how dismal the room was.. When we arrived we found that the room looked nothing like what was advertised. The furniture looked old and outdated, the bathroom also could have done with a good clean. Now the bed, I like to think that when I go away for a special weekend the bed is comfortable and the linen and pillows are of a good quality, that they weren't. The kind note advising that you could use the utensils, plates and cups in the kitchen but had to clean and replace them in the spot you found them or you would incurr an extra $35 cleaning charge really topped it off for me. My partner and I really enjoyed nelson bay but that was the time we spent away from our room. My own home is more luxurious than this resort. Would never stay at the Landmark Nelson Bay again and would advise my friends, friends of friends and complete strangers to do the same. Very dissapointed!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank newcastlelucy
landmarkresort2315, General Manager - Graeme Stubbs gm@thelandmarknelsonbay.com at The Landmark Nelson Bay, responded to this review, May 12, 2009
Dear guest, from your reveiw it is obvious your stay at the resort was disappointing and as the resort manager I can only apologise. Under the new management group we have made significant in-roads to improving the resort in all areas in a fairly short space of time. We continue to work hard to make the resort a fun and vibrant place to stay.

We have managed to convince the majority of unit owners to re-furbish their units with new contemporary style furniture including LCD tv's, bedding etc. At time of writing we have just invited the remaining unit owners to partake in the opportunity of our third new furniture install to happen mid-year. Combine this with our perfect location and great views of the bay and our "management's group" desire to be a resort of choice, will be further enhanced.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and even though your reveiw was negative I would still like to thank you for taking the time to contribute. Guest feed back positive or negative will continue to assist us in striving for further improvement .

Graeme Stubbs
gm@thelandmarknelsonbay.com
Sydney, NSW, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2008

We stayed at the The Landmark at the end of September 2008. Our room was nice, we were on the first floor, so didn't have an ocean view, just a view of the carpark and the roof of restaurant below.

We stayed 3 or 4 nights with our 10 month old daughter and used the heated pool 2 or 3 times during our stay. Our only complaint was the garbage truck which came to empty the dumpsters at around 06:30 on our first night, apart from that the rest of our stay was quiet and relaxing. I would gladly stay here again.

• Liked — Ample parking and the heated pool was nice
  • Disliked — It's a shame the pool chairs weren't next to the pool so your towel had to go on the ground
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
Upper Hunter Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2008

My husband and I celebrated our 21st Wedding Anniversary here and we both agreed that it was fantastically relaxing. The check-in personnel were very friendly, the room was very clean and spacious. We used the steam room - great, swimming pool - also great and family friendly . The restaurant was closed for lunch and dinner due to weddings but there are two clubs within a short walking distance to the hotel as well as numerous eateries just 10 min walk down the street. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

Dianne, Upper Hunter NSW

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendly staff, location
  • Disliked — Nil
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple