“Nothing but average”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Ate at casa de oro Nelson Bay tonight with my wife and 8 month child. The place was empty but then again it was a thursday night, not in holiday times. The advertisement for paella drew us in. We thought the price of $52 was on the higher end for Spanish paella but hoped it was worth it. The service of the wait staff was excellent, no marks down for that. We were told the paella would take about 40 mins so decided to have breads to fill the gap. Paella arrived about 30 mins after we ordered which we thought was good but turned out that we would've preferred the extra 10 mins.
The paella was burnt on the bottom and the rice slightly undercooked and crunchy. Typical of being cooked too quick. Besides that the flavor was there and the prawns used were indeed king sized prawns. We couldn't finish the dish due to its size and the burnt bottom. We picked the top of the paella and it was very good. Eating past the top layer resulted in a burnt taste that spoiled the dish.
All in all the rating I give is 3.5 for the overall restaurant.

1  Thank Chippa316

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had dinner at Casa d'Oro on Friday night and haven't stopped raving about it since. We had garlic chilli prawns, the Kumera chips with blue cheese dip, s&p calamari and the mussels. Everything was perfect. Even the garlic bread, the best I've had for a long time. We ordered the large in each and they are indeed large. There were 3 of us and we ended up with a doggie bag to take home. We really did try to eat it all but just couldn't. The sangria was delicious too. A lot lighter than ones I've had before but very easy to drink. The girl serving us was lovely and attentive, as much as she could, the restaurant was full by the time we left. Apparently they do really nice organic wines, but we didn't even look at wine list but went for the sangria. Really happy with the price too, excellent value or money. I'll definitely be back,

3  Thank Hell-lish
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Have just returned from a very pleasant evening at Casa de Oro. 5 hungry people devoured fried chorizo, olives, Spanish chicken and S&P calamari as our tapas, a chicken pizza (wood fired and yum) and finally some paella, all washed down with 2 jugs of sangria! (a must try - nicer than some we had in Spain) So don't bother with the negative comments from last year,this is a nice casual restaurant with very nice food and good service. Geraldine our waitress was great. We were lucky to have booked a table for the place was booked out and the staff were turning people away all night. So I think a lot of people would have the same opinion as me, highly recommended.

3  Thank gordoze
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Not sure about some of the previous reviews we thought we would try for ourselves and were pleasantly surprised. The tapas plates we had were all tasty and enough of a taster for all 4 of us. The pizza was great and a reasonable price for the quality. The service was fantastic and attentive without being intrusive and we had a great time. Will be back for sure.

1  Thank Scarcev
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I very much enjoyed the dining experience at this tapas/pizza restaurant, tucked away in downtown Nelson Bay. The tapas menu was interesting and did not disappoint. Yes we waited a while for a meal, but the waiter did apologise. After all it was a week night, not in peak season though the place was unexpectedly three quarters full, so there was only one waiter and one chef .. I felt sorry for them actually. My friend and I changed chairs with empty table at one stage as the chairs we were on were uncomfortably, but this just added to the quirkyness of the night. The waiter was charming and good mannered, the food when it arrived was excellent ... I actually personally thanked the male chef myself (as he came out at one stage to speak to a customer he knew). I would recommend this place and certainly return. Unpretenious food and polite service. To those others to wrote bad reviews, grow up, this is a "coastal country" town, and it is not in anyway advertising itself as a five star establishment.

1  Thank Mary D