“Pretty Good...”

Mantra Aqua
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Nelson Bay
“Pretty Good...”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had 2 nights in a two bedroom unit. Number 42 on level 3.

Pros and Cons as always:

Pros:
* comfy bed
* well equipped kitchen
* waking distance to Main Street with restaurants galore.
* lovely check in with pleasant ladies.
* free under ground parking.

Cons
* shower over bath, shower head not high enough, my 6" 4' husband had trouble getting his head wet.
* the lounge - between the cushions was filthy and had crumbs galore.
* # 42 had a view of the highway...very noisy and not pleasant to sit out.

Would probably stay somewhere else next time for a romantic getaway...however would be great for families.

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

My family had a great time here swimming and the amenities were all we needed, my daughter loved playing in the kids water play area. I loved relaxing on the day beds! But I have to say the outdoor day bed was more comfy then the beds in our room sorry I have to be honest the beds were way to stiff and hard for my liking my bed was calling my name after 3 nights but over all was nice.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Mrsmummyof2
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have stayed at the mantra with family and friends on numerous occasions and am very happy with the all round experience,the negative reviews are petty please ignore!! I am a fussy person and can not find a negative thing to say about the mantra I am making a booking for the Xmas break with confidence all will go well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Sofia z Z
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in early November for one night, we needed an early check in staff were helpful and called us to let us know when room was ready. On first inspection of our 3 bedroom apartment it looked great and modern, but as we settled in I noticed that the dining table and lounges were very cheap and worn looking, I think for the price of this place the furniture should be a bit more up market, tiles on kitchen floor cracked in a couple of spots, and could see finger prints on walls and doors. The apartment backed on to bush land which was nice views from all rooms. Beds were comfy. Bathrooms were clean. Pool area and grounds really nice, undercover parking good, location close to marina, cafés etc. just think it was over priced for the condition of the furnishings.

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank E5891
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights. It was such a great break! The location is perfect we walked everywhere! The pool is amazing! Large, clean and perfect for kids with a step along the side.
The rooms are clean, open planned and spacious!
The staff are extremely friendly and are ready to help you with any need or request.
Best place to stay in that area! Highly recommend

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Amy B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend with family at the beginning of November. The location was excellent, short walk to Main Street and marina. The apartment was spacious and well equipped. Our apartment over looked the pool. Being the weekend there was a bit of noise from people making the most of their weekend. Overall it was a nice stay and I would return.

Stayed November 2013
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is, without a doubt, the most overpriced, most over rated, dirtiest accommodation that I have stayed in for a long time. For a complex that is so new, I'm gobsmacked as to how poor the rooms are.
There's not too many "pros" to staying here - the proximity to the township of Nelson Bay and the ability to have undercover parking. That's it.
Now for the cons:
1. Spotted 2 cockroaches in the room in the first 15 mins upon arriving. We should have known then that it wasn't going to be good. There were 7 in total over 3 nights. All alive, all kicking! If I still had young children, I wouldn't be letting them down on the carpet.
2. If you want the windows open to let in the fresh air, be prepared to breathe in the cigarette smoke of your neighbours. It was so bad that we had to close everything up. And, no matter the time of day, expect smoke to invade your apartment. I'm happy to admit that I really detest smoking - but when it interferes with your own enjoyment of your environment, I think enough is enough!
3. No flyscreens - so even if you managed to cope with the smoke, the flys and bugs would make your life a misery. And, when we stayed, the weather was hot on a couple of evenings - but you couldn't open the blinds to let the air in otherwise you were over run with critters.
4. The mattresses are the most uncomfortable I have slept on in goodness knows how long. They are in serious need of replacement. And, when my wife complained on the last morning that something cut her when she hopped out of bed, I thought she was having a joke - until I noticed the gash in the side of the mattress, that had been duct taped over, and was exposing mattress wires. Nice one Mantra Aqua!
5. The single beds in the second bedroom are not designed for teenage boys. They were simply too narrow - and were certainly narrower than half of Mum & Dad's bed (which was two beds put together). One night, our 14 year old decided it was more comfortable sleeping on the lounge - not usually his style.
6. The carpets are not clean. Actually, no, change that. They are just dirty! When we went to pick up the first cockroach, you could see the crumbs and other stuff still on the carpet from the prior occupants - and that wasn't even under the dining table. Someone needs to steam clean the carpets not only in the apartment but also the common areas.
7. The furniture is chipped and well worn. I suppose that is what you get with putting Fantastic Furniture into an apartment. Just dont't charge Moran Furniture pricing for the accommodation if you are going to do that.
8. The blinds in the lounge room were dirty and frayed. They were supposed to be an off-white or grey. The yellow age and wear stains were a nice touch! They needed replacement a long time ago.
9. The bathrooms didn't look clean to us. My personal favourite, however, is the waste grate in the centre of the bathroom floor which doesn't sit flush with the floor - a nice tripping hazard.
10.The balcony wasn't clean - we don't smoke (could you guess by now?), but cigarette butts stuffed into the waste grate on the balcony hadn't been cleaned up from whomever the last smoker that stayed in the apartment was. And, a general mopping of the tiles wouldn't go astray either.
We paid $700 for 3 nights and the special we took up was the 4th night was free. It was that bad that we checked out a day early. The front desk staff noted that when I handed back the keys - but didn't bother to ask me why. Perhaps they are busy simply by being a Mantra, and don't have to try too hard. Or perhaps they have so much repeat business that are happy with, in my opinion, sub-standard, dirty accommodation. Or perhaps it was our bad luck that Apartment 73 was just so bad, so dirty and so poorly maintained. In any event, we won't be back here - ever. And, I'll go one better. I've just arranged some accommodation in Brisbane for a conference in February 2014. One of the options near the venue was a Mantra - I chose not to book there!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DJR68
MantraAqua, General Manager at Mantra Aqua, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for your detailed feedback and I can completely sympathize with the frustration you must have felt when typing this out. We have left a message on your phone to be able to follow up appropriately as in doing some research I can see that none of these items seem to have been brought up to the staff during your stay with us. It is always our goal to ensure that each and every guest who chooses to stay with us has a most enjoyable experience and feels as though they want to share this by passing it on to their friends, family, acquaintances, etc. We, as a team of passionate guest service providers, take extreme pride in what we do on a daily basis and do our absolute best to ensure everyone who walks through our door can feel comfortable letting us know if there is something further we can do to ensure they DO get the experience they deserve. It is completely gut-wrenching to hear that we were unable to do this for you during your stay, as we believe could have fixed many of these issues had they been presented at the time.
It is no secret that we have regular 6-monthly pest control treatments organized for the apartments which allows us to maintain the pest control issues many businesses face. The building this apartment in particular is in had received a treatment several days beforehand. Although the apartments are non-smoking, smoking IS permitted on the balconies where ashtrays are provided. Unfortunately we can't always control this as the apartments are self-contained, we ARE still able to move around bookings if there is discomfort in any way. The apartments are also individually owned and some furnishings are slightly different from the others, so we will always do our best to accommodate specific needs and requests, and for future guests who are considering a visit and are feeling uncertain, we do encourage you to call us directly to clarify any uncertainties. Overall, this feedback is directed toward a specific apartment and we are very grateful that we have been able to take a step back and take the necessary steps to ensure we don't have the same issues in the future. Your feedback is very valuable to us and I do hope we can touch base again to discuss things in more detail as we would like the opportunity to give you the experience you should have received in the first place. I also understand the reluctance to do so, however we sincerely care about our business and continually seek opportunity for growth and development through every piece of information.
Our hope, again, is that we can provide you all with a fantastic and positively memorable experience with us - please feel free to contact us if there is anything you are unsure of.