“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I found the menu limited if you didn't enjoy adventurous type foods. I asked for a potato instead of something else on the menu and the chef 'couldn't oblige' the waitress told me. I was given extra beef which became an overload of beef and inadequate vegetables. The staff were pleasant enough. The prices were expensive so we kept our choices to one mains.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had lunch here and even though there were very few gluten free options on the menu the kitchen went out of their way to accommodate so a really big Thankyou - the entree that was constructed on the spot was perfect. Their dinner menu appeared to be more gluten-free friendly. The service was attentive and friendly and the setting really beautiful. We were at a table that looked out over the marina and bay. The food was beautifully cooked and I loved my fish with ratatouille - bold flavours yet they didn't overpower the perfectly cooked fillet of fish. I would definitely go again.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We celebrated our 10 year anniversary dinner at this restaurant. As we are not from Nelson Bay + area we asked around for a nice place to dine. It was suggested that we come here. We had a 2 course meal. The food was really good. The chef and team really consider the way they presented the food and it was delightful. The food was full of splendid tastes and there wasn't anything we didn't enjoy. We even received a complimentary entree and it was really good. The menu overall was a bit limiting but what they did provide they excelled at.

In general, there are a few things we would suggest to management. The seating arrangement was a bit strange. There was 2 of us and we faced the pool but we didn't sit across from each other. Additionally, the pool chlorine smell ruined the ambiance and the decor was a bit bare. It was a bit of a strange location as you walked to the basement of the hotel.

Additionally, the service could use some improvement. It was very average for a higher end restaurant. Whilst we were there a server put the wine in the bucket (not even our table) and it fell over and made a loud crash on the floor. Additionally, general services such as topping up drinks was really delayed and they were not busy at all. The worst part of the night was when we paid the bill. We did not include a tip (it was not exceptional service nor is it our culture to tip in OZ). She took away our credit card and then came back and dumped the bill on the table for us to sign and then moved away from our table quickly. She seemed offended by our lack of tip and this put a sour taste in our mouth. It was very odd.

Overall, if you are looking for good food in the this area, I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you are looking for very fine cuisine in an elegant service setting then you will love this.

Starting with the service, despite being within a resort, they have managed to maintain an independent restaurant experience which is important. The service is excellent; warm, sincere and attentive, there when you need and not smothering.

Its not a big menu but the selection is more than enough for a couple of visits and we found it hard to decide ( in a good way ).The food in general is of excellent standard but I would urge restraint in some of the dishes which read well but don't deliver such as the Duck Confit. The Pork Belly & Cheek Main delivers in every way showing real culinary flair and a true understanding of flavour and texture,full points on that one and both the Sticky Date, Chocolate Fondant were killer sublime.

I also really liked their pricing, the menu is priced purely based on the number of courses you take and honestly for what you get, it's incredible value. You would need to be a very big eater to master 3 courses which with all the surprise extras can turn into 5 courses if they want to spoil you and dear God the Potato side order is obscenely huge.

The setting and ambiance does need some finer touches to really complete the full experience. Despite being absolute water front you would never know. Stunning by day, it's a black backdrop by night, no creative lighting I to the marina, no fire etc. The Chairs are rather uncomfortable which after such a great dining experience you would love to lay back a bit with a nice malt.

The wine list was nicely curated and generously priced, we jumped on the Scarborough Chardonnay but would have loved to see much more of the wo der full wines from the Hunter to really localise the experience.

Overall it's a really enjoyable experience which I'd recommend highly, easily the best in the Bay.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of dining at Merretts Restaurant at Anchorage Port Stephens. I had heard rave reviews from friends about this restaurant so decided to try it myself. I was so happy that I did it was excellent. The restaurant has a lovely ambiance to it and the wait staff were very friendly and helpful with choices. It was a special occasion and we were honoured by having our main course served by Chef Anthony, which I think added that personal touch. I have to say that every mouthful was mouth-watering and I could have easily licked the plate. I had the chocolate fondant for dessert which was divine and the peanut butter ice-cream just took the cake. I believe it was chef Vanesssa that I have to thank for that amazing finale to a fantastic meal. I will definitely be returning to try the rest of the menu.