“Nice place, nice caretakers”

Lake Talbot Tourist Park
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights with our 2 great Danes, we had a wonderful time and the caretakers were extremely helpful.
I read a poor review on it being not very pet friendly, this is not the case, you just need to follow the rules and not leave your dog unattended. IT IS VERY PET FRIENDLY and I will definitely go back there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We have stayed in cabin accommodation at this caravan park on three occasions over the past twelve months, using it as an overnight rest stop between Adelaide and Sydney. The location is very good, being on the shores of Lake Talbot with excellent adjacent boat launching facilities, a small beach, and good swimming pools for use in warmer months. The park features 'drive thru' sites although the terrain, while not steep, is far from flat.
The staff are helpful and friendly but the cabin accommodation is poor by any standard. It consists of pre-built stumped cabins which have become very tired and dilapidated over many years of use. These cabins should have been replaced years ago and to charge premium dollars for these worn out units is a bit rich. I understand from the park manager new cabins are to be built in another location on the park in the not too distant future. When this happens I would be more inclined to give a higher rating. We have discovered much newer and more luxurious motel type cabins in a caravan park in the neighbouring town of Hay for about the same cost and will be staying there in future.

Room Tip: Wait until the new cabins are built
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Robin S
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I had booked this "park" for one night stay to help us get home from our trip from byron to Barossa (SA) i payed a deposit for a basic cabin. was told it only will cost $87 for 4 of us and i paid a deposit of $55. i arrived and the lady charged me $107. I asked her about my deposit, she stated the business had just changed hands and there was no record of my deposit. I had to go through my bank on my phone and try to prove I paid a deposit.
This was terrible service and i shouldn't have to prove it, even if there was a change of hands in the business. eventually she gave me back my deposit and so I paid $107 for a crappy cabin which had horrible beds (could have slept on the ground, would have been softer) and no ensuite. We couldn't have a proper cooked meal because of no oven and the stove… thing didn't work properly. had to wash all the cutlery and bowls they had bugs and dirt all through them.
On the website it shows beautiful pictures of the river and states there is a pool. that is not the case we had to pay entry to the pool and had to walk down hills and through a boat ramp to get to the river.

Do NOT recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Rhianna454
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Pet Friendly this is not at all the case!! We phoned a day early to check weather it was ok to bring pets and told the lady we spoke to the type of dog we had and was told that there would not be a problem. on check in we again spoke to the girl at reception and said we had a dog and the type he was and we were told that was fine as long as he stayed on a lead there was no problem. We had a group booking all one family some of us then went off to the pool for the day leaving the dog on a chain. I was then called to come back from a family member because the manager had complained that my dog had barked a few times.my family member was told that we had broke the park policy by leaving the dog unattended my family member explained that they were still in the park keeping an eye on the dog the managers reply to that was "yea but your over here not there" we were staying right across from each other.. The park manager told my family member that they had to get in contact with us to come back to our dog or he would call the pound and have them take our dog and we would have to leave the park with no refund.. He said that those types of dogs aren't even allowed in the park he is to big.. Again my famy member explained that we had on two occasions told the office what type of dog we had before checking in and were told it was fine. Could not see the problem with his size considering there were other dogs in the park the same size. I then had to change my plans of spending the day at the pool with my children to spending only a very short time at the pool because family members staying at the park were not allowed to watch my dog.. The park it's self has nothing to offer for children except 2 swings not even a park. We stayed in a cabin which was filthy bed cover dirty cob webs everywhere we had taken our own linen so stripped the bed and used our own. Beds were terrible the worst I have ever slept on in any hotel,motel or caravan park and iam a frequent international traveler who has backpacked around third world countries and never found a bed as bad as this place.. The price was well and truly over charged $85 a night for a dirty cabin with shocking beds and no bathroom.. I should have taken a tent and slept in the river bank the ground would have been softer then the beds.. Will never return to this park was planing staying two nights put after the treats of having my dog impounded and the sore back from layingon rock hard beds that had spring sticking into your back and the fear of spiders crawling over me and my children we checked out very next morning..

• Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank Katie250510
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed 5 nights on powered site during Vets Golf tournament.
Quiet location overlooking river and swimming center. At the end of a road well away from any traffic. Some sites better than others but there was plenty of choice at the time - some bitumen, some grassed. No Wi-Fi availability, but the library in town has cheap internet access.
Facilities are acceptable standard and kept tidy but attention to maintenance could and should be better.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stopped in here on our way home from a 10 day camping trip further west. Manager was helpful, advising us where we could buy groceries (it was getting latte in the afternoon) and allowed us to choose our own site. Nearly all sites are powered, some on bitumen for caravans only, a lot of sites on grass have concrete pads, these were not level enough for our camper but there were plenty of flat, grassed sites behind the office.
There were a number of drive-through, overnight sites for people with large vans - these were very popular (looked like a caravan sales yard, they were all so new!).
Amenities were clean and spacious. Quiet spot overlooking the lake. It will definitely be on my list of stop overs for the future.

Room Tip: If you have a tent or camper trailer, head for the sites behind the office
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just spent 2 nights on a powered caravan site, grassy sites with 2 concrete strips for the van wheels, it made levelling easy, we have a 23 foot van and some of the sites would be difficult to get the van level (because of the length), but there were drive thru sites. A very clean amenites block and lovely views of the lake. And dog friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple