“Whale of a time”

Ranked #4 of 39 Restaurants in Narooma
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We came to a nearby B+B in Tilba and drove into Narooma for dinner at this delightful restaurant. Food, service and outlook I've the bay made it an enjoyable evening for the 4 of us

Reviewed January 30, 2012

We were travelling to Sydney and stayed overnight at the Whale Motor-in.The motel room was pleasant with a view of the ocean.
We read the restaurant menu in our room before booking. The menu descriptions gave an indication of their skill.
We were not disapointed. Our meals were outstanding and beautifully presented.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Narooma boasts the usual country town array of pub, club and cafe food. We were surprised, however, to find a restaurant offering this level of cuisine and service.
Service was extremely friendly but professional and was consistent throughout the meal. Our table was placed next to a window and had a pleasant outlook (hard not to have a view in Narooma) The tables at the other end looked as if they might provide more of a vista. Cutlery, crockery and linen were of good quality and the glassware was beautiful and engraved with a whale logo.
The food was quite original and I liked the balance of the sauces. A good varied menu with some allowance made for vegetarians, scrumptious desserts and a very tasty cheese plate. There is a sample menu on the website which would give prospective diners more of an idea about the range of dishes and pricing than I can here.
Wine list was fairly extensive (from $34 up to ridiculous) - the first wine I ordered was out of stock but there were certainly plenty of other choices
Cost was commensurate with the standard of the fare so not bad value when you think in those terms.
There is a massive table at one end of the restaurant and apparently they have themed food special nights from time to time which would be really fun. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a meal that is a bit above the ordinary.

Reviewed June 23, 2011

My husband and I have a holiday house in Narooma so have eaten at all the resturants there, and were terribly disappointed with the Whale.
The food was ridiculously overpriced..(eg; ONE opened natural oyster..$3.50 !!!!). Main meals are on average priced around the $30.00 mark and this does not include salad or vegies. These have to be ordered as sides for an extra $9.00.
I had the duck, which was one small duck leg on a bed of harricot beans, very dry and tasteless. My husband had the steak , again overpriced and bland.
We dont mind paying these prices but do expect the food to taste better.
Only good thing about the Whale Restaurant is the service. Could'nt fault that at all.
My best advise...Dont waste your money...even pub grub tastes better !!!!

1  Thank Juzshmee
Reviewed January 6, 2011

This was a very poor feed. We couldn't eat the food. Chef's hat prices but not up to even McDonalds standards. Perhaps the chef was away the night we went. However, the service was very pleasant.

3  Thank Bargoodfood