“Fantastic weekend away!”

Ranked #1 of 8 Murwillumbah B&B and Inns
Robina, Australia
“Fantastic weekend away!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The 2 night stay my partner and I had was amazing, well worth every penny. Clive and Tracy were simply incredible hosts and made the whole weekend run so smoothly, there was nothing more you could ask of them. The surroundings are beautiful, quiet and completely secluded. The both of us would definitely go again any day. Thank you so much Clive and Tracy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Daniel M
HillcrestRetreat, Owner at Hillcrest Mountain View Retreat, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thankyou so much for the lovely comments - we look forward to welcoming you back to Hillcrest in the near future :)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We loved our 2 night stay at Hillcrest. The cottage was our home away from home for our romantic escape. The facilities were modern, clean and luxurious. The deep double spa was my favourite, followed closely by the fantastic views. My husband loved the shetland ponies, and always stopped for a pat & a chat. We can also recommend Lisa the masseuse with her "bodywork" massage, wow what a professional! Thank you for all your suggestions about where to go & what to see and the glass of bubbly and loaf of freshly baked bread on arrival was much appreciated.

Room Tip: The cottage is fantastic.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HillcrestRetreat, Owner at Hillcrest Mountain View Retreat, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed your short break with us .... look forward to welcoming you back some time in the not too distant future - when (hopefully!) there'll be another little pony to play with :)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I called up Clive and Tracy on a rather difficult Thursday morning asking if they happened to have space short notice so that I could escape from the world for the weekend. Even just speaking with them on the phone left me feeling refreshed, and once I got there I was welcomed and looked after with such love and encouragement. Hillcrest is set in the middle of such a beautiful part of the country and there is a real sense of peace that rests over it. You can tell that Clive and Tracy have a love for the area and it's so special that they would choose to share it with others.

Their breakfasts were amazing (and as an extra bonus this helped me to save money on lunch since they left me so satisfied!), and the suggestions they made for coffee and dinner were all great!

I'd highly recommend this beautiful spot to anyone, whether you're looking for a romantic getaway or a space to retreat from the world and find some peace or anything in between. I really felt like it was a gift from God that I could stay here and am so grateful that I stumbled upon this little piece of heaven.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Breathtaken_13
HillcrestRetreat, Owner at Hillcrest Mountain View Retreat, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you so much Sam .. it was really a pleasure having you stay with us. Your enthusiasm for life and happy smiling face gave a lift to our day. Hope to see you back with us one day soon :)
Sydney
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Hillcrest, without doubt is "As Good As It Gets!". Tracy & Clive are wonderful welcoming hosts, friendly, attentive yet discreet. Their attention to detail is evidenced in the impeccable standard of accomodation. If you're looking for a secluded, quiet, no fuss, luxurious accomodation well away from it all, in arguably one of Australia's most beautiful locations, then book Hillcrest! You won't regret it.

Room Tip: The rooms in the house are wonderful as it the separate cottage. Have stayed in both!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OzDrive
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we can welcome you back to Hillcrest in the not too distant future ... p.s. new batch of home-made marmalade is ready and waiting for you!
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Tweed Valley is one of the most picturesque regions of Australia and the Hillcrest Retreat is perfectly positioned above it all. Commanding views abound from every direction. The silence is deafening, so quiet you can hear a pin drop.
Hillcrest hosts, Steve and Tracy run a very well appointed guest house and they are very attentive to their guest’s requirements as is their attention to detail. The rooms are quiet, well-furnished and comfortable.
On arrival we were met by Steve standing on the veranda wielding a clip board. Before entry we were told to remove our shoes and replace them with house slippers. We were then given a tour of the facilities and informed of various dos and don’ts. Then followed requests on food preferences for the following three days. On completion I was given the clip board and asked to sign. I signed, but I had no idea for what I was signing. I guess it was that I agreed with the terms and conditions. Although the welcome was friendly, it had a rather authoritarian military like overtone.
We respected the house shoes only rule, but noticed other guests did not and on a few occasions we saw the owners outside in their house slippers. There are also two resident dogs that are free to come inside, so we feel the rule is somewhat unnecessary.
Unfortunately there are no restaurants close by, and it is a drive of fifteen kilometres along a narrow twisting road for dinner. This is a shame as it prevents the driver enjoying a pre-dinner drink whilst watching the sunset from the gazebo adjacent to the pool. Steve will cook dinner for you, but forty-eight hours’ notice is required and the cost is somewhat pricey.
No we would not stay again, despite the tranquillity, as driving to dinner we found a major deterrent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HillcrestRetreat, Owner at Hillcrest Mountain View Retreat, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Brian,
I'm a little dismayed that you didn't appear to enjoy your stay with us as much as you said you did on your morning of departure - when you gave me a huge bear hug and announced to the remaining guests that I'm an angel - a bit extreme but nonetheless very flattering :).

I hope to address some of your concerns here as CLIVE and I take anything less than 100% guest satisfaction very seriously.

We keep our check-in forms on a clipboard so that when guests arrive, whichever one of us is on "meet and greet" alert can take all forms to the parking area in a neat and orderly fashion. As our insurance company requires us to get guests to sign-in (something we ALWAYS tell guests when we ask them to sign their form) we keep all pertinent information (such as your need for gluten free bread etc.) on the same form. This way no one is inadvertently given an inappropriate ingredient.

Clive is at a loss with the "do's and don'ts" - we always show guests how things work in their room, where the fridge is located etc. and a polite suggestion is made to keep the flyscreens closed for their own comfort. No one is asked to decide their breakfast choices for their entire stay in advance, we merely outline the options such as smoked salmon and scrambled eggs,
mushroom omlette etc. etc. so you know that there ARE options and you don't have to have the same breakfast every day. As for his authoritarian tone .. equally at a loss, as this is the chap with whom you chatted happily in the dining room for a good half hour or more every day after breakfast service was finished and everyone else, including your wife, had left the dining room.

We try to keep outside shoes for outside the house primarily for your comfort and hygiene. Many of our guests go trekking, horse riding, golfing etc. and we think that the various forms of mud and animal poop are better left in the entrance hall rather than trekked through the rooms where presumeably guests would like to walk barefoot at times. Your booking confirmation email would have pointed out that we are a shoe-free house and that sterilised indoor slippers are provided if you did not wish to bring your own indoor footwear. With regard to other guests wearing their shoes in or outdoors, whilst we always explain to guests our reasoning for being shoe-free indoors, we try not be too authoritarian in our approach. I can assure you that neither
of us wear outside shoes into the house or vice versa and that the dogs have towels by the entrance door to our private wing where they are thoroughly dried off before being allowed to enter. They are not allowed into guest areas and I ALWAYS check with guests on arrival as to whether or not they like dogs. If they don't then ours are kept in our wing for the entire stay so they won't accidentally come into contact with a non dog-lover and be traumatised for life.

As you know - having raved about the excellent food you enjoyed there, the centre of Murwillumbah has a range of very good restaurants, pubs, cafes and eateries. From our front gate to the CBD is 13km .. approximately a 12 minute drive at a sensible speed. I doubt that even "city folk" have as large a choice of dining experiences within a 12 minute drive of their home. We usually offer to call a taxi for guests who wish to enjoy more than one or two cocktails in the gazebo before dining in town, but in future we will put the taxi company business cards in the entrance hall so this option is more obvious.

For guests who do not wish to drive into town at all, we offer the option of booking our Cottage which has it's own fully equipped kitchen and gas BBQ, or ordering dinner at Hillcrest. As Clive and I dine out regularly, I would be interested to know where one can order two courses, a bottle of wine and two glasses of port in beautiful, private surroundings for what we charge here. Please bear in mind the economies of scale involved in shopping, preparing, cooking, serving and clearing for only ONE couple in what is essentially their own private candle-lit venue, versus the bulk purchasing etc. power of a venue that does 60+ covers a night. Whilst the latter may be slightly lower in price for food, the wine and after dinner port will not be included and will add considerably to the bill - or could it be that you have forgotten that your Hillcrest meal included the wine and port?

Taking all the above into consideration, we're still very sorry that you didn't totally enjoy your stay here because of distance to town. Hopefully if you return to stay in our Cottage this will no longer be a limiting factor to your enjoyment of our beautiful and peaceful property :)
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were supposed to stay last December but they were booked the entire month. When we finally got a chance this February, we grabbed a weekend off and had the one of the best, if not the best weekend getaway. The pictures in their website don't give justice to the splendid and magnificent views where the cottage is nestled in. The cottage itself with all of the generous space was a place to behold. The small details in the cottage were very much appreciated. The place has everything you could possibly need for a quick get away. Their home-made bread and free range eggs were also great! The bed was so comfortable that my energy to roam around Murwillumbah suddenly escaped me.

Clive greeted us on our arrival and gave us a quick run down of the area and the nearby towns. He made sure we had everything we needed for and constantly reminded us to approach him if ever we needed anything.

We will definitely be coming back for another weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed it and we will definitely recommend it to everyone. If Crystal Creek is the Jewel of the Tweed, then Hillcrest should be named as the Jewel of the Crystal Creek.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Raden S
Raden
thank you so much for your lovely comments ... and for leaving our Cottage so beautifully clean and tidy. There will be a bottle of bubbly in the fridge for your return as a "thank you" :)
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was looking for somewhere to unwind for a bit, I wanted north coast but not the big towns. A friend mentioned this place & I thought, why not.
Anyway.....did I strike it rich. Clive & Tracy (the owners) made me feel right at home, the meals were great & the place is very comfortable. I was left to wander around the place & given great advice on the local area which I loved exploring. I stayed in the house (they have a detached cottage as well) because all I wanted was a good bed & time to explore. I ended up staying a bit longer than planned, a total of 4 nights. Those free range eggs (thier own chooks) for breakfast are the best. Would I stay here again ? you bet I will.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ron S
Thank you Ron .. I look forward to that cheeky sense of humour again :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murwillumbah
Econo Lodge Murwillumbah
Crystal Creek Rainforest Retreat
Crystal Creek Rainforest Retreat
#1 of 1 in Upper Crystal Creek
Amazing Wollumbin Palms Retreat at Mt Warning

Been to Hillcrest Mountain View Retreat? Share your experiences!