“Go to enjoy the animals and the scenery”

Crystal Creek Miniatures
Gold Coast
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Go to enjoy the animals and the scenery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We went using the Living Social Voucher. There were 12 of us all up (4 adults and 8 kids). To be honest, I don't know if I would of gone paying the full price but I guess it does take a lot of money to maintain a farm like this. The day we went it had been pouring rain the night before and that day it looked threatening but didn't rain while we were on the tour which was awesome. As previously people have said, the lady at the front was abrasive but, talking to her at the end she is quite nice - just not good with a little stress I don't think. Anyway, her husband who takes the tour was fabulous. The tour is now a walking tour but it an easy relaxed tour.

We started at the miniature horses then moved onto miniature donkey, cows, bulls, a mull (Pablo), and then more miniature horse and the newly weened horses. All of the children were given numerous opportunity to feed all of the animals and the trip was not rushed at all. Yes, the gentleman does talk a lot which is a bit much for kids (but they just kept feeding the animals and didn't care), however, what he had to say was very informative, interesting and showed such a passion for these animals.

There was also a little room with interesting relics from times gone by (including a rotary fridge) which is worth having a walk through.

As for the Chihuahuas, there had heated beds in their little run so they were quite happy.

We didn't eat there but the café area had a real relaxed feeling and overlooked a beautiful stream where the turtles were.

Nice drive out and a fun morning for our group.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank GillyGoldCoast

Brisbane, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Interesting tour but a bit long winded”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Tour was interesting for my young children but a bit long winded and kids were bored by the end. Tour is all outdoors - take water. Great opportunity for them to hand feed animals. Owner very knowledgeable.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Squidgygiblet
Melbourne
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Kind of Quirky but we enjoyed it !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We only paid $30 for a family pass instead of $60 which I'm glad about (thanks to a discount voucher we had ... phew). I wouldn't have been happy about paying the full amount.

You know what, I've read the bad reviews and some of their points are true but I have to say we worked around it and really enjoyed the animal experience here. Yes, the woman at the front counter was a little abrasive but I just found her to be typical of many country people. They're no frills and a bit blunt but the last thing she said to us as we left was "have a good day". They're obviously smart enough to know she's not great with people hence they get the husband to do the tours and I have to say his genuine love of the miniature animals was obvious. He is a real character the way he talks about each individual pony to the customers and you can tell he loves them.

They are both quite old now and by his own admission he should have given the tours up by now but he loves doing it.

The one thing my kids couldn't handle was the infestation of ants in the ladies toilet that had been sprayed then left in black heaps all through the toilet. That was a bit ordinary.

The animal feeding experience was fantastic - the guide made sure every single child got a turn and didn't rush us through the farm. He was happy to linger as long as people liked and I found him very warm and friendly. He also lingered in the memorabilia shack at the end which was full of old family antiques and he spent a long time talking to me about them all.

Yes, the place is a bit daggy and it is certainly shabby, but the animals are very well kept and loved and I think this is the kind of place that you manage your visit with and take the good and avoid the bad.

I personally would never have ordered food or coffee here (it might be really nice but I didn't try it) although the large tray of devonshire tea looked pretty good. We continued down the road to Murwillumbah for lunch but we had a thoroughly enjoyable, informative time at this quirky little place.

I probably wouldn't go back as it's the kind of attraction that would only ever interest my kids once and once only, but it's a nice outing for families who like animals and fresh air.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank ladycatrin
Surfers Paradise, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“I wouldn't bother; definitely won't be going back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Took us over an hour from Nerang to drive there on the speed limit (and tip - no phone reception through some of the mountains). The gentleman who runs the tours was totally lovely, very interesting chap to listen to and chat with. He was great! There were a few donkeys, cows, bulls, ponies, some turtles in the river below; and two unhappy chihuahua dogs in a cage. The old woman who runs the cafe was extremely rude, unhappy and not at all pleasant to deal with. She was rude on the phone, rude when we arrived to do the tour and then told us we couldn't feed our 1 year old babies on the deck unless we bought food from her cafe. Instead of risking her spitting into our food and our babies food (she didn't sell anything a baby could eat anyway) we chose to leave and go to somewhere more civil. If you can get past the rude old woman without dealing with her, you may enjoy it.

Visited December 2012
11 Thank Scooter_Girl
Hobart
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“If you on the area drop in & see the tortoises in the river.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

If you on the area drop in & see the tortoises in the river. It's very relaxing & tranquil in their cafe watching the animals in the river.
A nice break along a lovely country drive.