“So Relaxing”

Ranked #2 of 51 Restaurants in Murwillumbah
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Your meal at Mavis's Kitchen reflects what's important to us: food grown organically (in our own garden where possible), sourced locally, harvested seasonally and prepared and served with love. Our food philosophy has always been about low food miles, environmental sustainability and supporting our local community. Our aim is to create a space where people can reconnect with nature and savour the flavours of a local food experience. The restaurant is open for lunch Wednesdays to Sundays, dinner Fridays (tapas) and Saturdays (a la carte) and for breakfast on weekends. We also cater for weddings, functions and corporate events.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have visited Mavis's restaurant on a regular basis, but we stayed with a group of 16 at the farmhouse for a weekend recently, and it was breathtaking. The house was large, and the deck was superb for partying. Thanks Peter and Charlie for your superb attention to detail. Wandering around the vegetable garden in the morning picking herbs, and collecting eggs for our omelette was so down to earth. We wandered through the fabulous gardens, and took in the vista of Mount Warning. A place that will remain in my heart, and I will return for another weekend with friends. Oh! And the food in the restaurant is second to none. We were also able to take our beautiful dog with us for the weekend, what a bonus!

1  Thank Maria L
MavisesKitchen, Owner at Mavis's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thank you Maria for your review of Mavis's. The kitchen was thrilled by your lovely comments. We are more than happy to accommodate our four legged friends here at Mavis's :) Kind regards
Pete & Charlie

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We drove for an hour to get to this restaurant and it did not disapoint, It is in a fabulous old Queenslander house set in beautiful grounds, lots of trees and bush around the house. They grow their own organic veges and fruit and use in in the restaurant. We sat out on the upstairs balcony for our meal. the staff are very efficient and friendly, the meal was great. We would never have gone there if our family had not taken us, it was a lovely drive there and back.

MavisesKitchen, Owner at Mavis's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your feed back. We value your comments here at Mavis's Kitchen.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stopped in and enjoyed afternoon tea on the deck. Enjoyed a pleasant stroll around the herb and vege garden.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Some of the items on the menu seemed very chic for this area - yay! A few caring touches - such as tablecloths would improve the experience. (Perhaps they have done this by now.)

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had heard good things about Mavis's Kitchen and was excited to visit for the first time recently, driving an hour from the Gold Coast. I also intended to see if the restaurant and grounds would be suitable for my upcoming wedding. We were greeted by a man I believe to be ONE of the owners and he was very helpful and cheerful suggesting I take my 3 year old to pick cherries from the bush near the restaurant. The young waiter who gave me wedding books to look at was also very pleasant. Unfortunately things weren't so pleasant from here on. When we went upstairs to place our orders, the "other owner" was gruff and tried to hurry our decisions. We didn't order drinks as it was still early for us (11am Qld time) but we felt pushed into it when he made comments about us not ordering drinks. My mother reluctantly ordered a glass of wine. He then said "so you're just going to have one glass of wine between the three of you?" When my Aunty said she had to drive, he made a comment about her being "ok" and "c'mon ladies". I then ordered a lemon lime & bitters just to appease him (silly I know). The meals were nicely presented but very simple for the prices charged. Two pieces of shriveled up huloumi cheese on top of salad is hardly worth $24.90. Very shocked also that the softdrink I had ordered was a whopping $6! The building/house itself is just beautiful and so are the grounds and if it weren't for the this disappointing experience I would have loved to have my wedding there.

2  Thank Flick L