“Visiting our family on the Gold Coast”

Mavis's Kitchen Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 51 Restaurants in Murwillumbah
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Your meal at Mavis's Kitchen reflects what's important to us: food grown organically (in our own garden where possible), sourced locally, harvested seasonally and prepared and served with love. Our food philosophy has always been about low food miles, environmental sustainability and supporting our local community. Our aim is to create a space where people can reconnect with nature and savour the flavours of a local food experience. The restaurant is open for lunch Wednesdays to Sundays, dinner Fridays (tapas) and Saturdays (a la carte) and for breakfast on weekends. We also cater for weddings, functions and corporate events.
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We drove for an hour to get to this restaurant and it did not disapoint, It is in a fabulous old Queenslander house set in beautiful grounds, lots of trees and bush around the house. They grow their own organic veges and fruit and use in in the restaurant. We sat out on the upstairs balcony for our meal. the staff are very efficient and friendly, the meal was great. We would never have gone there if our family had not taken us, it was a lovely drive there and back.

MavisesKitchen, Owner at Mavis's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your feed back. We value your comments here at Mavis's Kitchen.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stopped in and enjoyed afternoon tea on the deck. Enjoyed a pleasant stroll around the herb and vege garden.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Some of the items on the menu seemed very chic for this area - yay! A few caring touches - such as tablecloths would improve the experience. (Perhaps they have done this by now.)

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had heard good things about Mavis's Kitchen and was excited to visit for the first time recently, driving an hour from the Gold Coast. I also intended to see if the restaurant and grounds would be suitable for my upcoming wedding. We were greeted by a man I believe to be ONE of the owners and he was very helpful and cheerful suggesting I take my 3 year old to pick cherries from the bush near the restaurant. The young waiter who gave me wedding books to look at was also very pleasant. Unfortunately things weren't so pleasant from here on. When we went upstairs to place our orders, the "other owner" was gruff and tried to hurry our decisions. We didn't order drinks as it was still early for us (11am Qld time) but we felt pushed into it when he made comments about us not ordering drinks. My mother reluctantly ordered a glass of wine. He then said "so you're just going to have one glass of wine between the three of you?" When my Aunty said she had to drive, he made a comment about her being "ok" and "c'mon ladies". I then ordered a lemon lime & bitters just to appease him (silly I know). The meals were nicely presented but very simple for the prices charged. Two pieces of shriveled up huloumi cheese on top of salad is hardly worth $24.90. Very shocked also that the softdrink I had ordered was a whopping $6! The building/house itself is just beautiful and so are the grounds and if it weren't for the this disappointing experience I would have loved to have my wedding there.

2  Thank Flick L

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The cabins exceeded my expectation. Clean, stylish, homely and, combined with the staff and owners, very warm and welcoming. Airconditioning was out of service (repair man said to be due later in the week) but cooler weather and ceiling fans did the job. We enjoyed walking freely around the property and gardens and even packed some herbs from outside our front door to cook diner one night. Wonderfully comfortable bed sheets & blankets, towels and toiletries were enjoyed, as we'll as generous breakfast provisions (continental) in the room (muesli, yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk, orange juice, Nespresso coffee, loaves of fresh bread, jams, etc)
Combined with our own 4-5hr hike up Mt Warning on one of the days, this was a great base, relaxing and memorable for the entire family.