“Absolutely heavenly”

and 1 more site!
Koonyum Range Retreat Byron Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Mullumbimby B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This little getaway is the perfect couples retreat. It is in the most breathtaking setting, the owners make you feel as if you are old friends, there are countless thoughtful details, fantastic food, and a general atmosphere of warmth, gentleness, and peace. We didn't want to leave! It really is the kind of place you could stay for a week or more - enjoying the tranquility of the place itself (as well as the company of the hosts and their very welcoming pets) but also all the wonderful things that the area has to offer. The Byron Bay beaches and lighthouse are just a short car ride away, and by staying at Koonyum one gets to enjoy Byron Bay without having to put up with the bustle. We have been gone a week and are still dreaming about our time there.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Edge Villa and could watch the stars as we dozed off to sleep - wonderful! But all...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Last month me and my husband stayed at Koonyum Range Retreat, at the Lotus Villa, and it was the most beautiful and enjoyable experience.
First, we arrived and a nice woman came to great us and show us where everything was in the villa, how to turn on the spa, etc... We looked on the table and there was a mint tea waiting for us, with a greeting card, and a folder with all the information about the villa, the Koonyum Range Retreat, the owners, and where to go in Byron Bay and Mullumbimby. First impression of the villa: very cozy, clean and with this WONDERFUL view.
The breakfast (despite of what the last review says) included croissants, slices of local bread, butter, jam, orange juice, milk, eggs, cheese, muesli and natural yogurt. The third morning we run out of breakfast and called the owner, who inmediately brought us a refill.
About the dogs, there´s two nice ones (sorry, I´m a dog lover). One of them can hardly walk because he´s too old, and the staffy is the nicest fella. I love dogs and i´m not affraid of them, but I can tell that these dogs are not scary at all!
We had a great time, had a swim in the pool and enjoyed the spa with the beautiful view. Definitely five stars.
After a few days we received an email thanking us for our stay and with a gift voucher for our next stay! It´s a shame we live so far away (America), but if I ever have the chance to come back, I wouldn´t doubt it.
ps: the only thing I would fix is the road. It´s in a bad condition because of the rain and it´s hard to get there without going into a couple of holes. Hopefully the council will fix it soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2013

What a perfect place for a romantic retreat!!
Really well located in the woods and on top of the hill, it offers a really peaceful environment and the most breathtaking views we got to see along our travels around Australia.
As soon as we arrived, we felt transported to a magical world away from everything - even though it's only a 25 minutes drive away from Byron Bay for those who would been looking for more entertainment.
It was just us, the birds, the trees and the beautiful tropical garden kept the bouddha statutes...
We jumped in the beautiful mosaic spa straight away, sipping the champagne our hosts had kindly offered us and we knew already we would just have to sit and relax for the rest of our stay. We've been looked after from the moment we made our reservation, all the informations about the directions and how to get ready for our special time have been provided, at arrival when Piari and Miki gave us a warm welcome and kindly gave us a tour of their own beautiful property and invited us to come use the amazing infinity pool whenever we wished, and through our 3 nights stay. We treated ourselves and had the Gourmet Diner (the fresh fish cooked in the banana leaf with the spicy coconut and lemongrass sauce) cooked by Piari. It was exquisite!! I really recommend it.
We stayed at The Edge with the bedroom upstairs offering a 180º million dollar view!
A big thank you to this lovely family...We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I know there are a lot of positive reviews of this place but our experience simply didn't live up to this.

We stayed at Koonyum Range Retreat 6 months ago for our 'babymoon' when I was 6 months pregnant. When we arrived there was no one to greet us - no one except a staffy who leapt onto my pregnant belly. There was a rotweiler on the loose sitting not too far away. For someone who is afraid of dogs, this was not a good start.

The staffy would not leave us alone. He sat on our sun lounges howling at the moon. At 10 pm we called the owners (on our mobile phones as there was no other way of contacting them) and requested they remove the dog. He was on the loose the next day. That evening I went out to pick up some takeaway and I was actually terrified as I walked through the dark to my car, knowing there were two aggressive breeds of dogs on the loose.

My husband is allergic to dogs - there was dog hair all over the sun lounges and the villa itself was not very clean (under the bed was disgusting). The dog situation really wrecked our stay.

Other problems:
- "breakfast hamper each morning" consisted of 4 small croissants, 6 eggs and some cheese. This was meant to last for 2 breakfasts which we didn't realise until no food turned up for day 2.
- no information in the villa about the accommodation or the area. I had to look up the website on my phone to work out when check out was
- kitchenette was a bit limiting - eggs had to be cooked on the BBQ
- the website said check out was 11am "strictly". So at 11am I looked for someone to try and pay for our stay. No one was to be found. I phoned (again, on my own mobile) and no one picked up. I left a message saying just charge my credit card, and we left.

Two stars - one for the amazing view, one for the lovely shower. Otherwise, a really disappointing and overpriced experience for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in the edge villa which has stairs - this would be fine normally but not a great option fo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Piari L, Owner at Koonyum Range Retreat Byron Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your review and even though it was not as positive as we would like, we welcome all feedback so that we can continuously improve our service to all our potential clients. We apologize for not being there to greet you on arrival and can see that a lack of communication has led to most of your disappointment.
We pride ourselves in offering the ultimate in privacy, which is why we send a detailed confirmation e mail explaining check in and check out procedure. You may have overlooked this, and therefore not called to let us know your estimated arrival time. Upon check in we explain that the hamper (which also included orange juice, milk, sparkling wine, yoghurt, muesli and jam) is refillable upon request. We would have introduced you to our family dogs and had you expressed your fear of dogs and your allergies we would have gladly kept them tied up for the duration of your stay.
Since your stay with us, we have produced an extensive compendium for each villa with all this type of information. We also now state on our confirmation e mail a request for an alternate breakfast hamper if you have any dietary or special preferences, so that we can arrange your hamper accordingly. On your welcome card you are invited to contact us at any time with any issue, so we wish you would have let us know your distress in regard to the dogs at the time, or that you were unhappy with the hamper, so that these issues could have been rectified promptly.
At the time of your stay, our particular cleaner wasn't up to our normal high standards so we understand your disappointment. The cleaner was consequently replaced.
Warm Regards, Piari & Mki

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My fiance surprised me with this trip and I was completely blown away. The moment I walked into our villa, I immediately felt at peace. The rooms were very clean, it was a fully equipped villa with simple breakfast daily which you can put together yourself ie eggs, local muesli, juice etc. The owners were lovely and very helpful just ask and they will organise everything for you. My fiance organised a massage for me in our villa by one of their local healers she was fantastic. You will need a car to get here its quite a hike up a steep hill.

My highlight was waking up amongst the clouds and sitting in our spa all day listening to music, sipping champagne and doing absolutely nothing.

This place is our little piece of heaven, a place where we would retire from the hussle and bussle of the city life. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights mid-week in The Edge villa during November. The view is to die for but the villa is lacking and is way overpriced, as are the in-house meal options. It also didn't feel very private. We could hear the people in the next villa, screaming kids and all. Also, the owner's dog kept coming over from the main house and making himself at home on our balcony. I love dogs but if I wanted a dog hanging around and sitting at my feet while I eat and try to enjoy the view, I could've brought my own. We tried taking him back multiple times but no one would answer the door. We also spent 10 mins each time we got in to the spa trying to fish out all the leaves and dead bugs so would suggest maybe getting a spa cover... This sounds like a negative review but it's not really. We were just a little disappointed. All that aside, we still enjoyed our stay :)

Room Tip: Looking at other reviews, I would recommend staying one of the more modern villas which might have m...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KikiMarie03
mikiari, Manager at Koonyum Range Retreat Byron Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Thank you for your review in regard to your stay in mid November. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the view and your overall stay but we're sorry to hear that there were some issues that didn't make it perfect for you.
We are happy to inform you that since your stay, the Edge has had an interior renovation which has modernised the villa to the standard that we pride ourselves on. All our guests who do actually order our meals are always so pleased, because they don’t expect such top quality food - we cater the meals ourselves, from the freshest organic ingredients and serve them in the privacy of your villa. As the Edge has a mosaic hand made spa, we can't get a spa cover that fits well or blends in with the surroundings that make it's setting so special. We are more than happy to provide service for everything you need, servicing the room, cleaning leaves from your spa, everything. We do provide a contact number on your welcome note, and only wish you had called us so that we could have rectified any problem in a timely manner. We are not always in the office as you discovered, but are always contactable by phone.

We hope that on your next visit you have a more fullfilling experience.

Warm Regards,
Piari & Miki

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I would recommend this place to anyone - it is, simply, breathtaking. When I was making the booking I couldn't decide between the Edge or the Lotus villa, so I phoned them to get more information on each. The lady I spoke with was SO helpful, informative and friendly I immediately knew that this was a place I wanted to stay at. I ended up going with the Lotus villa and my partner and I loved every second of our 3-day stay there. It was magical - the view alone is worth every dollar we spent.... we also found the villa to be very tastefully done - it had a warm, personal touch that made it somehow feel like home the minute we walked in and were greeted by freshly made mint tea and a personally written post card welcoming us. LOVED the deck and ate almost every meal out there, listening to the sounds of the birds in the bush adjacent to the villa. The bed was extremely comfortable and enjoyed having a window behind it that looked right out into the trees - felt like we were in a tree house at times! Soaked in the hot tub countless times and were mesmerized by the view. Haven't been that relaxed in a long time. Thank you Piari and Miki (and to the lovely lady working there who brought us refreshments by the pool and was most delightful). We would love to return one day. Dale and Rob.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dale & Robert,

Thank you for your kind review. We hold our staff in high regard and we're glad that you enjoyed great service from them too. It was our pleasure to have you, and we certainly hope to welcome you to Koonyum Range Retreat again in the future.

Warm Regards,

Piari & Miki

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullumbimby
ecOasis Resorts
#1 of 5 in Mullumbimby
Macas Camping Ground
Macas Camping Ground
#3 of 5 in Mullumbimby

Been to Koonyum Range Retreat Byron Bay? Share your experiences!