“We keep coming back!”

and 1 more site!
Koonyum Range Retreat Byron Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Mullumbimby B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We first visited Piari and Micky @ Koonyum Range Retreat about 5 years ago.

Back then, when my wife first walked through the sliding doors of the Lotus Room, looking out over the valley to the ocean in the distance, she thought she was a rock star. 5 years later she still thinks this!

Where else in the world do you have a magnificent waterfall and national park on the left, deep valley with dairy & sugar farms below, and the Pacific Ocean out in the distance. Panoramic. Beautiful. Private.

We've come to know Piari and Micky over the years, hearing their story(ies), watching them and their place grow. As much as you can feel like extended family at a holiday retreat - we do. They really look after us. And they know how to observe privacy.

I imagine we'll be coming back for years to come. There are few places in Australia that are as uniquely spectacular, private and homely.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 28, 2011

The most beautiful little place. We stayed for 2 nights but should have stayed longer. The villa is amazing and the views awesome. The outdoor spa on the deck that was so warm on such a cold wintery night very romantic. The breakfast hamper was gourmet and more than you could ever eat and was available to be replenished at your request I would highly recommend this as a romantic getaway or just a little rest and relaxation.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 26, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Koonyum Range Retreat in May 2011. We went away because we wanted to get escape work and have a week of total relaxation together. We were at Koonyum for five nights in total and it really was perfect for what we wanted. It was like our own little home tucked away in the mountains. It was very private - not at all like a hotel or a resort. At times we felt like we were the only ones around, which is exactly what we wanted.

To get to Koonyum you have to drive through the township of Mullimbimby, which is surprisingly busier and bigger than we expected. Then it takes about another 15 minutes of driving up the mountain on a very narrow, windy road. The last half of the climb is on a dirt road and is quite bumpy. If you are precious about your car this may be an issue, but my boyfriend and I thought it only contributed to the "retreat" feel.

When we got there Piari, the owner, met us in our room - well, actually it was more like a little home all to ourselves. We stayed in the Koonyum Suite. Piari dropped us off a big breakfast hamper of croissants, jams, eggs, muesli, yoghurt and juice. It lasted us a couple of days and we just had to call her when we wanted more and she would leave it at our door for us. The suite was absolutely beautiful. The bedrooms and bathrooms have amazing views out to the mountains. The deck is huge, looks straight out to the mountains with a spa and beautiful big couch. We had breakfast out there every morning - it was so relaxing!

One of the best things about the suite we stayed in was that it had a kitchen with all the basic cooking ingredients. So my boyfriend and I were able to do some grocery shopping in the day, come home in the evening, have a spa, then cook a nice dinner together with a bottle of wine,. We would then rug up on the couch and watch a movie on the big screen TV.

We were worried we might run out of things to do or get a bit bored staying there so long, but this definitely wasn't the case. In the day times we would take trips to Byron Bay, or go on the walks in the nearby national parks. We also went swimming in the pool at Koonyum, which is absolutely stunning. It is an infinity pool so it completely drops off on the edge with a beautiful view of the mountains. One afternoon Piari even came for a run with me along Koonyum Range Road - that was great fun!

My boyfriend and I opted not to make use of the food options at Koonyum, probably because we thought they were quite expensive and we were looking forward to taking the time to cook meals together. We did however make use of the massages on offer. A lady came to our room and gave us both one hour massages, which was very enjoyable.

I think that's about all the detail I can give you but all in all our stay at Koonyum was just what we needed. If you are after a hotel/resort feel then this definitely isn't the place for you, but if you want a private, quiet getaway with tranquil surrounds then you will love Koonyum.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2011

My husband surprised me with a weekend away in the retreat after Christmas.
I couldn't believe the amazing view! We stayed at the newest of the chalets called "the Koonyum suite" which had two bedrooms and was brand new. A special treat for my husband and I. Definitely perfect to come back with another time with some friends.
Our wonderful experience started when we arrived and received a personal welcome note and a minty tea.
Straight away, we jumped into the hot spa on the balcony, enjoying the amazing view and great weather.
The next morning, our hosts brought us a beautiful gourmet brunch my husband had pre ordered. Yummy!
We didn’t leave the retreat the entire weekend.
I think this is one of the best escapes anybody can have.
Highly recommended 

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
mikiari, Owner at Koonyum Range Retreat Byron Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for wonderful review! We would love to offer you a voucher for 10% off your next visit, or perhaps to pass on to a friend? If this is something that may interest you, please email us your postal details- info@koonyumretreat.com.au

Reviewed February 5, 2011

I recently stayed in the Lotus Chalet. The experience was disappointing due to poor value for money.

But first the positives - the view is very beautiful; the surroundings peaceful; the bed was comfortable.

However, there was an overall lack of attention to detail and cleanliness. This property is tired, and needs a full refurbishment.

Examples include:-
- filthy insect screen in the bathroom
- mould and dirty grouting in the bathroom generally
- dirty curtains
- lounge suite is well worn
- dirty hand marks around the light switches
- wall behind the entrance door is dirty
- lighting in the wardrobe area is naked bulbs
- air conditioner does not keep the place cool
- inside of the BBQ was covered in burnt on grease and fat
- breakfast was 'sparse'
- cooking facilities are extremely basic

If the property did not have a view, my estimate is it should cost no more than $200/night. The view is worth perhaps another $50/night. So at $380 a night, this place is severely overpriced.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WidelyTravelled_11
mikiari, Owner at Koonyum Range Retreat Byron Bay, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Koonyum Range Retreat.
We are happy that you rested well with a comfortable nights sleep. Additionally thank you for your comments in relation to the cleanliness and cooking facilities. We have recently increased our maintenance plan to ensure all areas in need of attention are actioned as soon as possible.
Whilst we offer a number of different pricing options and promotions throughout the year, we certainly don't accept poor cleanliness and we pride ourselves upon the high standards in which we set and as such must sincerely apologise. We have clearly got it wrong on this occasion though please be assured lessons learned. Sincerely, thank you for sharing your experience as it's good to know when we have right, but more importantly if we get it wrong.
Kindest regards and we hope to welcome you back to Koonyum soon.
Piari Leibo
Manager, Koonyum Range Retreat

Reviewed October 8, 2010

My husband and I have just spent a relaxing three days at this beautiful place to celebrate his birthday.

The views are breathtaking and despite almost constant rain for our whole stay, you could never tire of the stunning scenary.

We stayed in the Lotus room which was cosy and well appointed. The room was as described on the website and the we felt totally secluded.

Our host, Piari greeted us after we'd call to advise we'd arrived and told us we'd not hear or see from her unless we needed anything. This was totally what we expected and wanted but I'd advise any 'high maintanece' types to take heed of this!

We had an unexpected (but welcome) visit from Miki, Piaris husband who kindly brought us some more breakfast supplies and fed the fish in the pond.

The breakfast was nice, the yoghurt and home made museli were spectacular. Three days worth of breakfast were in the fridge when we arrived - milk, yoghurt, jam, croissants, cheese and a mountain of museli along with three picolos of Jacobs Creek bubbly.

The highlight of the trip for me was taking advantage of the spa service where the wondeful Vashti gave me the most amzing treatments. I enjoyed a massage one day followed by the top to toe treatment the next- heaven! This was all done in the privacy and comfort of your room.

I would recommend this place for those wanting a tranquil and private escape. I would not recommend for anyone wanting to be waited on hand and foot as it's a self service kind of stay (albeit they do offer luch and dinner packages - none of which we opted for)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

After a stressed out week in Melbourne, my friend Nicki organised for me to stay at Koonyum Retreat. As we drove up the range, I felt like a layer of stress had just shed from my body. It may have been the temperature drop or maybe it was the setting, but minute by minute it went. Piari and her husband were so hospitable and went over and above the entire time I was there. The view is to die for and even though I had many good intentions of going surfing and playing golf, I ended up reading a book, enjoying some champagne on the balcony and sitting in the spa. Exactly what I needed. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who loves the idea of Byron Bay and wants to chill. Food is amazing if you order in!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullumbimby
ecOasis Resorts
#2 of 2 in Mullumbimby
Mooyabil Farm Holidays
Mooyabil Farm Holidays
#1 of 5 in Mullumbimby

Been to Koonyum Range Retreat Byron Bay? Share your experiences!