Monarch Hotel Motel
$78
Agoda.com
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree continental breakfastroom was cleanold world charmsheetscharacterperiodmotel
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We decided to stay on our return journey to Sydney after walking past this pub on the main street in Moruya.
I read somewhere this place was renovated in 1972 - believe me, the front part of the pub hasn't been renovated since - it's a time capsule.
As far as the accommodation is concerned, it's a regular country pub. My only complaint was that the rooms were hot with no aircon or effective fan. The sound comes in off the street (we had to keep the windows open).
But if you are paying $50-$80 for a room with continental breakfast included you really can't complain.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matt W
Reviewed December 29, 2012

A last minute decision to get away on Boxing day to go fishing with a mate down the NSW south coast ... Moruya sounds nice and the Monarch was a reasonable rate.
Once you get past the colour scheme (very bright and varied),the accomodation is what you would expect from a oldish country pub and the value was quite reasonable. The pub could do with a bit of an upgrade, but on the whole it was both clean and comfortable, rooms cleaned each morning we stayed. The room with 2 single beds, wash basin, television was simple but ample for two people. The cost also included a nice basic continental breakfast and the staff were both willing and friendly. As for Wifi, it was available but clearly not working very well.
For two single blokes like us on a fishing trip, or if you wanted a cheap overnight stay, then this is just fine. Located in the main street, with parking off street, it is only a short walk to shops and restaurants.
Yes I would be happy to go back again.

Room Tip: Choosing a room not facing the main street may limit the noise from the few revellers late on a Friday night. A minor annoyance at best.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kenwoof77
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I booked this accommodation on the strength of the photos.
Bad decision!
Obviously they are NOT photos of the $99 rooms.
Now, where do I start?
The room I was given was painted in striped colours of purple and yellow.
with purple bedspreads and curtains, one drape yellow and the other purple.
The washbasin which which was situated in the bedroom area was purple plastic with white and brown tiles very modern but not really suiting the rest of the decor. The bathroom I have no complaints with. It was clean with a shower and toilet. Pity the bedroom was not the same.I mean, I could have forgiven the bizarre decor if not for the following
The carpet was dirty! There was an iron. Great if you wanted to iron but where was the ironing board? The double bed mattress? Well, my two children started jumping on it as children are wont to do. I admonished them but them but when I sat down on it, I realised why. It was a cross between a waterbed and a trampoline. I thought that maybe the single bed might be better but no it was exactly the same. But things were not to get better. That night I did not sleep at all. This is no exagerration. The street lights came in from the window. The noise from the road came into the room. I could not close the windows at all and they are partially opened at the top.The walls are so thin, I could hear the occupant/s next door showering, coughing, talking, their tv, etc. And to make things worse, when I inquired about the wi-fi, the gentleman that showed me to my room had no idea about it. He gave me what he thought might be the password but said the owner would know. I went downstairs several times to find the owner but he was never around. I had booked two nights. I decided the next morning after my sleepless night that I would leave. I told the gentleman in the morning. He rang the owner who informed me that I would be forfeiting the night (this IS mentioned on the website). The gentleman said the owner would be coming in ten minutes to talk to me. So, I waited and waited and waited and waited for thirty minutes!!! Meanwhile, thinking it would only be ten, I had the kids waiting in the car for me. When he finally came (he is the guy in the photo), he nodded at me, then I said I was the one who was leaving, he smiled, then obviously I realised that he wasn't understanding that I was the one he wanted to talk to. So, when I explained that I was the one leaving it turned out, he hadn't wanted to talk to me after all. So, I don't know why the other gentleman had told me that.
So, that is my story. Now, the good things: Like I said the bathroom is good. And the telly is good if you are planning a sleepless night. Brekky is included in the $99.

Room Tip: Don't stay there if you are a family. Try the Motel Luhana instead. If you're a backpacker. Go for broke!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family