“Hit and Miss, but a must do if you are in Mollymook for a few nights”

Rick Stein at Bannisters
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Mollymook
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is a reflection of Rick's passion for seafood and the coastal lifestyle which he has enjoyed for most of his life. As Rick says: "nothing is so exhilarating as fresh fish, simply cooked". He believes that fresh seafood should speak for itself. While he enjoys occasional fine dining, his food is much more about what he really likes to eat: a plate of Clyde River oysters, a pot of Illawarra prawns with mayonnaise, a mound of spanner crab, a slice of blue eye or a perfectly grilled sand whiting. We like our service to be informal but observant and we have a local team who will greet you with a warm, genuine welcome.
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The restaurant location is nice and the view lovely.
On the first night the food we had wasn't that amazing. The starters were delicious, but we left quite a bit of our main courses as they weren't enjoyable, especially the curry. I expected the flavours to be layered and complex, but it was just meh!
The waiter was engaging, friendly and attentive and the service perfect as we didn't feel rushed or if we were waiting for anything, including drink top-ups, food coming to table or finished plates being taken away.
The second night was a complete 180 degree. The food was delicious, especially the Chilli Crab, the flavour was complex and beautiful. However, the wait staff were lapse as we were seated for 20 minutes before we even got a menu. 30 minutes before a glass of water was pored and the order taken. I felt as though people were constantly rushing behind me and finished plates being taken away took much longer than what I would have expected or experienced in other restaurants. My husband got out of his seat twice to get the bottle of wine and poor for himself. We asked on the first attempt, but the waitress continued into the kitchen and didn't return, so we decided to sort ourselves out from then on.
Buffet Breakfast in the mornings was of good quality and I enjoyed the options provided.
I would return here again for Chilli Crab if I was in the area, but never on a weekend night again.
For the prices I expect much, much more in quality and service.

3  Thank Ozkaz78
Peter B, General Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Ozkaz78,

Thank you for your review both our hotel and restaurant. It’s wonderful to hear our Chili Crab left such a lasting impression however it seems we fell down in consistency in other areas. I will personally follow up on your feedback and welcome you to contact me directly for your next stay.

Best regards,

peterbacon@bannisters.com.au

Write a ReviewReviews (1,068)

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The Oysters at Bannisters you must try... delicious!
The service was fabulous and so was the lobster a must try.

Peter B, General Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Hello Sharon B,
Thank you for your review of both our Hotel and Restaurant, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to do so.
It’s wonderful to hear you had a great weekend away with us and I do hope we have the change to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

From the moment you step into the restaurant the quality of service is second to none. The wait staff all know their stuff and nothing is too much trouble. The sample menu in the room had a dish that I was really keen on trying however it was recently taken off due to a seasonal change. A quick plead to the chef and I was served with the dish that was mouth watering. I would highly recommend the fish curry (madras or indonesian), the prawn fritters and the soft roulade for dessert. All amazing.
We've recommended this restaurant to several friends so hope they take up the suggestion soon to enjoy what we did.

Thank you very much for your review and recommendation Donna! I am thrilled to hear you were well looked after by our Head Chef Paul and I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

The location cannot be beaten. For how can you better a cliff top view of the South Pacific Ocean?
We had extremely tasty food with the Balmain bugs being a highlight. Perhaps the wine list could be better. The service was attentive and polite.

Dear Jillian Sydney,
Thank you very much for your review of our restaurant. I am very pleased that you got to enjoy one of Rick’s favourite seafood dishes while making the most of our clifftop views.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We drove 6 hours to get here. Well worth it. Have been a fan of Rick Stein for long time not let down.The food as promised fresh simple and superb. Excellent well priced wine list. Plain but adequate service.
Great views on a beautiful sunny winter's day.
Cant wait to come back!

1  Thank KymB0711
Peter B, General Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review KymB0711!
It’s always wonderful to welcome Rick’s fans and I am so pleased you enjoyed your lunch. We hope to welcome you back to Bannisters.