“Must do!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Mollymook
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant is a reflection of Rick's passion for seafood and the coastal lifestyle which he has enjoyed for most of his life. As Rick says: "nothing is so exhilarating as fresh fish, simply cooked". He believes that fresh seafood should speak for itself. While he enjoys occasional fine dining, his food is much more about what he really likes to eat: a plate of Clyde River oysters, a pot of Illawarra prawns with mayonnaise, a mound of spanner crab, a slice of blue eye or a perfectly grilled sand whiting. We like our service to be informal but observant and we have a local team who will greet you with a warm, genuine welcome.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

There are many pleasant surprises about Mollymook and finding out about Rick Stein's Bannisters is one of the highlights from this precious southern jewel.

Booked and received a text confirming our booking. Arrived and was politely given our table with a stunning view looking back along the south coast, even with the trees. The menu was predominately seafood and rightly so for the setting and location. The menu created daily and dated each day, reflecting their commitment to fresh and available ingredients.

My wife enjoyed 2 delicious and beautifully presented entree courses of seafood and I had the lamb rack which was mouth watering. Desserts were excellent and made for an exceptional meal, service and evening.

Well worth it and made up for our wedding anniversary meal.

Peter B, General Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Jennyaspot,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, it is wonderful to hear you had such an exceptional experience with us.

Our menu reflects Rick’s passion for fresh seafood, simply cooked. Being based in such a beautiful part of the NSW coast we have a wonderful selection of fresh produce. I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,
Peter Bacon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Lovely evening at Rick Steins place. Seafood dishes delicious and convenient kids menu . Wine list is nice. Curries much hotter than described. Staff lovely. Go early if you want to see the view. Relaxed beach decor.

Peter B, General Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Hello Deb CC,
I certainly appreciate you taking the time to review both our hotel and restaurant and am thrilled you and the family thoroughly enjoyed your evening.
Lunch at the restaurant is another way to take in the views of the Pacific and a great way to spend a lazy weekend!
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Really excited about eating here and the food was just divine but I was a little disappointed with how hot the fish pie was served.

The fish pie was so hot it actually burnt my tongue a little which always ruins the taste of things. I had to wait for it to cool down before I could properly enjoy it which meant I couldn't eat the same time as the husband. I also think the staff knew this too as it was the only course they didn't come up to us and ask how we were going. Maybe I'm being fussy but I just expected it to be perfect. I also noticed others who ordered the same pie didn't get it as hot as mine so I guess I just had bad luck.

I've also worked in a high end restaurant as a waitress so know that you don't serve food this hot, so it was a little sad as I don't think Mr Stein would have approved!

Apart from that one blip it was really enjoyable and the pie once it was eaten at the correct temperature was incredible.

Peter B, General Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Livibabe,
Thank you for your review and for taking the time to provide me with some feedback from your experience at our restaurant.

I am very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your evening as whole and your seafood exceeded expectations!

Whilst the Fish Pie is served from the oven and should be rather warm, it should not be so hot as it is takes quite some time to cool. I do apologise for our oversight and hope that it did not effect your impression as a whole. As the wait staff know the pie dish is hot to touch it is standard practise to only handle the serving plate, so please feel rest assured that if your waiter had realised we would not have served the dish at an uncomfortable temperature. I have raised the issue with our kitchen team and reminded all our staff that slight deviations can make all the difference to the experience of the customer.

I very much appreciate your feedback Livibabe and hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to Bannisters.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at bannisters again after an absolutely fantastic stay 2years ago. We had drinks & ate at the pool bar on the 1st night which was wonderful,the pizzas are fresh & delicious & the staff were friendly & very attentive. On the 2nd morning we had breakfast in the restaurant as included with our package. Our hot breakfast order was forgotten & so we waited close to an hour for that. The lovely young waiter was so apologetic & gave use free coffees whilst we waited so we didn't mind too much as mistakes happen. We ate a late lunch at the pool bar & ordered the beef burgers. Mine arrived with an almost raw patty which I had bitten in to. This was unpleasant & I had to ask for it to be re cooked, I hate to complain. It was presented to me again after being recooked but was still a bit pink. I ate around it. We had dinner in the restaurant that night. It was much busier than the previous time we had eaten there. Our table wasn't great this time (right where the waiters come out & I could see into the kitchen) but it was nearly a full house so that was fine. We also didn't really have a designated waiter/waitress like other tables seemed to have so often we would be asked twice for drinks then not at all. The previous time we had had a tasting menu which showcased 5 spectacular dishes all perfectly cooked & we left so excited to come back. This time for entree we had the scallops & oysters charantaise. Scallops were perfectly cooked & delicious. The oysters were fresh & beautiful, however one of the sausages on the plate was almost raw! I ate around this one & the dish was still very nice, but I was starting to wonder why I had been served raw meat twice in one day at this calibre of establishment. For mains we both wanted to try the famous fish pie. It was absolutely devine, certainly recommend & almost made me forget about anything else that had gone wrong that day! I would say that we were so full after the pie we hardly touched our sides & could not order desert. The waiter said this is often the case with the pie.
Certainly 10/10 for this dish. Overall I'm hoping we just got a bit of a bad day, after our perfect experience the 1st time, would still consider trying again, but probably wouldn't make a special trip.

Dear jnoos,
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback from your experience at Rick Stein at Bannisters and our pool bar. It is very disappointing to see our faults here have let down your experience as a whole; from your separate accommodation review I can see you both had an otherwise thoroughly enjoyable stay.

I have followed up your experience with our Head Chef Paul Goodenough. Whilst I appreciate it is can be uncomfortable to bring these issues to staff attention, both Paul and myself agree that it is most certainly unacceptable. If you have a moment to send through your booking number or reservation surname Paul will be able to follow up this matter this this matter with the staff involved as well as at the next kitchen meeting.

In terms of your breakfast mishap, whilst I am pleased to see that your waitress did her best to make amends I can understand that this was a disappointing start to your day. In addition to slow beverage service in the evening, this is certainly not the impression we wish to give our guests.

On a positive note, I am very pleased to hear you had a wonderful dinner in the pool bar and that your Fish Pie was outstanding!

I very much hope we have the chance to welcome you both back to Rick Stein at Bannisters to restore your confidence. I welcome you to contact me directly should you wish to make another booking at Bannisters; I will personally ensure that your next experience is as exceptional as your first visit and to a standard you can expect from Bannisters.

Best regards,
Peterbacon@bannisters.com.au

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I were travelling through the region with a one night stop in the area and managed to secure a booking at this very popular restaurant at the last minute.

I can only say it was the best meal I have ever eaten!! I love seafood and my choice of the Harvey Bay scallops for an entree, seafood pie for a main and the citrus cheesecake for dessert could not have been better. The food is fresh and cooked perfectly with amazing flavours.

My husband selected the Fish & seashell soup, Indonesian Fish Curry and the Eton Mess for dessert, again all amazing.

The atmosphere of the restaurant is wonderful as was the service and I can only hope we get an opportunity to visit Mollymook again and this time stay for a few days at the hotel so we can again dine in this fantastic restaurant.

Cost for our dining was approx $200 in total but as we are not big drinkers this only included one glass of wine, mineral water and a soft drink. Still worth every cent.

Thanks Rick Stein..... Amazing.

Peter B, General Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review Oztravellers5054! I am very pleased we were able to look after you on your quick stop in Mollymook. I will certainly pass on your compliments to Rick and the team and I do hope we get a chance to welcome you both back to Bannisters.
Warm regards,