“An experience to be tried” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rick Stein at Bannisters

Rick Stein at Bannisters
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Mollymook
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our restaurant is a reflection of Rick's passion for seafood and the coastal lifestyle which he has enjoyed for most of his life. As he says: "nothing is so exhilarating as fresh fish, simply cooked". He believes that fresh seafood should speak for itself. While he enjoys occasional fine dining, his food is much more about what he really likes to eat: a plate of Clyde River oysters, a pot of Illawarra prawns with mayonnaise, a mound of spanner crab, a slice of blue eye or a perfectly grilled sand whiting.We like our service to be informal but observant and enjoy employing local people who may lack the total polish of fine dining restaurants, but who more than make up for it with a genuine welcome.Peter Bacon, General Manager
Hobart, Australia
“An experience to be tried”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

As a watcher of Rick Stein's TV programs I thought I should try the restaurant at Mollymook, particularly as I was on a journey down the South Coast of NSW. With some research I located the listing and was able to reserve a table for one online. The emails then flowed to welcome and then double-check that indeed I would be there, right up until 3.00pm of the day of arrival.
Unfortunately I was delayed leaving Sydney and found I would not make my 6.30 reservation. I rang ahead to say I could make it around 7.00pm or so, which I did.
On arrival I was warmly greeted and offered a complimentary drink which was most thoughtful and welcome.
I was able to choose any seat as the restaurant was about 50% occupied that night. My outlook was pleasant to the distant beach, but the restaurant car park immediately adjacent was somewhat of a distraction as vehicles came and went.( needs more shrubbery or trellis to shield). As an individual diner I suppose these issues are more apparent as one enjoys views or outlook in lieu of conversation.
Throughout the service and ongoing attention by the "maitre-d'/manager " was excellent, and his recommendations accorded well with my desires. The food and wine was as I expected for the price.
I did enjoy the overall experience.

1 Thank tastony2

Sydney
“A wonderful special occasion venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Had a special birthday lunch here today, and were so glad we did. It was worth every cent. The service was first class - attentive but never intrusive. Loved that you nominate an arrival time, and the kitchen is prepared, wait staff ready...

The setting on the deck was perfect, the table a SPACIOUS one for 4 - so many restaurants have tables too small to really "spread out" - wine, champagne bucket, water, food...

I had a warm shellfish started (see pic) - fantastic all of it. Even the oyster, and I am no oyster fan! Then I had the Bannister's fish pie and loved the chunks of various fish -each with their own texture and flavour. To finish I had coconut pannacotta with fresh mango and macadamia praline.

Other diners complemented the balance of flavours in every dish they had.

We didn't stint, each having 3 courses, a bottle of champers, several bottles of water, and coffees. It ran out at about $135 a head.

1 Thank Arncliffegirl
Peter B, General Manager at Rick Stein at Bannisters, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear ArncliffeGirl,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am thrilled you thoroughly enjoyed all your dishes and were able to enjoy our headland deck, it’s a great place to enjoy a long lunch in the warmer months. We are very happy you chose Rick Stein at Bannisters for your birthday lunch and hope to see you at Bannisters again.
Warm regards,
Peter Bacon
“Excellent cocktails & pizzas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We weren't staying here but found out after 5pm on Sundays that the pool area (which serves cocktails and pizzas) is open to the public. We got a table straight away and the service was very friendly. The cocktails were wonderful and you cant go past the pizzas. Unfortunately our order got lost and some of the food was wrong when it finally did show up, but because we were not in a hurry, we really didnt mind. Bannisters is the most civilised place in the area so for a bit of fun, its worth a visit!

1 Thank AngelKatten
Sydney, Australia
“Romantic dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Excellent, friendly but first class service. Food interesting and beautifully presented. Good wine list.

Visited November 2012
Gelston Park
“Not up to expectation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I thought that by booking a table in the restaurant 3 months in advance and saying it was a very special occasion that when we walked in we would be taken to a nice table. Instead it was " you can have this table in the middle of the room or any one of those bigger tables in the middle down the back!" Disappointed ? You bet ! I expected a little more than being treated like someone that walked in off the street.
Our waiter was very good and organised a better table when one became available but it was a disruption that we didn't need or want.
Our order got lost on the way to the kitchen and we were given a complimentary glass of wine because of the long time we had waited for our meal.
The food was good but nothing to rave about. $240 for 2 people with a bottle of wine.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Christine,

I appreciate your feedback and am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this special occasion. Generally if a booking is made in advance we ensure any seating requests are marked as a priority, without specific booking information it is hard for me to explain why this did not occur. I can understand that this disruption in conjunction with your wayward order would have made for a disappointing experience. Despite best efforts, sometimes mistakes are made and I offer my sincere apologies on behalf of the restaurant staff and myself. Although we blundered in our service I am glad to hear that the staff attempted to ameliorate this.

I hope this has not marred your overall impression of Rick Stein at Bannisters as we certainly value your patronage. Should you return to Bannisters we would appreciate the opportunity to provide the service the should have received on your first visit.

Kind regards,