Bannisters by the sea
Ocean View Motel(Mollymook)(Great Value!)
$65
$57
Mollymook Surfbeach Motel & Apartments(Mollymook)(Great Value!)
$86
Travelocity
Dolphins Mollymook(Mollymook)(Great Value!)
$90
$84
Mollymook Motel(Mollymook)
$69
Allure on Ocean Motel(Mollymook)(Great Value!)
$103
$100
Mollymook Seascape Motel(Mollymook)(Great Value!)
$100
$48
$47
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewspool barpizzarick steinfish pieluxury suiteocean deluxe roomspa retreatpool sidehigh expectationskippersoverlooking the oceansteam roomroman bathoysterswedding anniversarybeautiful locationspecial occasion
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

We came down for our tenth anniversary and had a great time. The bed is super comfy and the staff were happy to find me pillows I liked as I am allergic to feathers. Everything was clean. Brekky was very nice, but I felt it a bit excessive that we were charged extra for coffee. We paid a lot to come. Coffee should be standard in a place like this.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen323
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Karen323,
Thank you for choosing Bannisters for your anniversary, I am very pleased to hear you had a great time to celebrate such a special occasion!
Thank you for your feedback regarding the espresso coffee. As with most hotels we do charge for espresso coffee however all teas and percolated coffee is included in your room rate.
I am very pleased to hear you were well looked after by the staff and I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just back from two gorgeous nights at Bannisters to celebrate a significant wedding anniversary!

It's been many years since we went to the South Coast and while the drive was a little longer from Sydney than I remembered it was scenic and we enjoyed a short break in Berry.

But the moment we arrived at Bannisters... we were able to immediately relax. From a great check in to a stunning view ...the trip was a distant memory.

Sitting on a point overlooking the sea...Bannisters is private and serene. Our room overlooked the sea and the pool and what struck me was how quiet it was there. After a lovely long walk down to Mollymook Beach were quite keen to shower and get ready for dinner at the gorgeous Rick Stein restaurant.. It was so nice to walk 50 steps and be sitting in a top restaurant knowing it was an easy trip "home" after the meal.

We were both impressed by the number of staff at Bannisters -both in the restaurants (in particular the poolside pizza and cocktail bar) and around the hotel. Even the housekeeping staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

The Day Spa was excellent...I regularly have massages and this was one of the best! It was performed on the terrace overlooking the sea...bliss with the sound of the sea as our background music!

Two nights wasn't long enough...but we both felt totally relaxed afterwards.

Cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Book the Day Spa!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Hoildayhumphs,
Thank you for choosing Bannisters to celebrate your wedding anniversary and for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community!
I am very pleased to hear you were so well looked after by our staff and thoroughly enjoyed your trip to the dayspa.
I hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed for two nights at Bannisters on the weekend past. We had a nice time and the experience was pretty good. Our room seemed likely to have been a renovated motel style room in the past but the furnishings were great, if the room not 5 star. The mini bar felt a little amateurish - we did eat the chips though.

The deck and outlook were great but it was a little off putting having people sitting on the balcony above while we were lying on the sun lounges. We arrived late on Friday due to the traffic and had to park on the road outside, but that was not an issue.

The wifi access was a bit painful as the code they give you is only for 50MB of data. After some calls to reception to find this out, the lady there rang back and advised she had set up a code for a larger limit which lasted us for the stay. The performance was slow at times, however that could have been various websites and not the Bannisters wifi - difficult to know.

The staff were all very helpful and friendly. An afternoon lying by the pool was fantastic and service fast, but you did have to get off the lounge and go to the bar to order. The infinity pool and outlook are very nice. We also had a dinner pizza at the pool bar on our second night which had a nice vibe.

The buffet breakfast was disappointing - it was pretty basic and exactly the same each day. Dinner at Rick's was good.

We borrowed two bikes and did a ride one morning. The bikes were not well maintained. The gears did not change, brakes needed adjusting and the tires were flat, but we had a nice, if slow, ride. Maybe we just had the dud bikes of the fleet.

Bannisters was not cheap but probably a step above any other hotels in the area. We would return if going back to Mollymook.

Room Tip: Possibly better privacy to have a room not looking over the pool and restaurant.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear tudibaring,
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Bannisters, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to do so.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your feedback. We are currently trialling a new breakfast buffet system and I will certainly pass on your feedback to Rick.
We are looking to upgrade our Wi-Fi system in May and this will include codes with more data included.
Thank you for choosing Bannisters and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife, 3 month old son, and I stayed at Bannisters for 5 nights recently and we had a lovely time. We booked into the Penthouse (room 32) so we would have a little more space as the room has its own plunge pool and large deck which allowed us to stay in our room with our son throughout the day.

The positives:
- Rick Stiens Restaurant is simply amazing... I could have order everything on the menu and their wine list is perfect. I recommend the lobster raviolo!
- The hotel's pool is divine and you could simply sit on a deck chair all day and drink cocktail after cocktail
- It's a small hotel however you don't feel like you are squashed in with dozens of other people
- the food and cocktails at the pool bar are are terrific
- the rooms are well presented and comforatable
- I had to stay connected to work for the week and the wireless internet works really well throughout the whole hotel

The negatives:
- Next time I would stay in a room that isn't situated on the MItchell Road side or near Rick's. There was a wedding on during our stay and the noise was full on and it felt like the wedding and dance floor were in our room. You also hear the trucks coming in and out first thing in the morning
- The penthouse is huge and we chose it for the plunge pool and deck. The plunge pool is more of a spa and overlooks a dozen aircon units. We didn't end up using the spa but did spend allot of time on the deck which is really nice.
- Rick's is closed on Monday's and Tuesday's (and for lunch most days) so the only option is to either eat at the pool bar (pizza bar) or head out of the hotel. Whilst the pizza's are terrific there are only so many times you can eat pizza. The menu does have a wagu burger and caesar salad and thats about it. They do advertise that they can bring the food to your room for $10 however we were told they don't charge you. It would be great if they could add one or two more options to the menu... a seafood option or another salad option. Then you could eat there every day!
- Breakfast was included in the room rate and was really really nice. The menu was spot on and the breakfast bruschetta was our favourite. During our stay the hotel decided to move to a traditional buffet. Whilst the food is still lovely we missed the amazing breakfast menu and hope they don't continue with the buffet concept... I read reviews with people being frustrated with being charged for coffee. Most hotels do charge for coffee and the coffee was incredible so worth ordering!

If you don't want lunch at the pool pizza bar there is an amazing Deli on Tallwood Ave about 3 minutes drive away from the hotel where you can stock for lunch to have on your balcony/deck. It's not a cheap hotel in comparison to other hotels and whilst the staff are polite and professional the service doesn't really match the price. However, in my mind there is no other hotel within 3 hours of Sydney that offers what Bannister's does. In the end, we'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Byr0

Dear Byr0,
Thank you very much for your feedback and for taking the time to review your stay. Overall it sounds as though you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay which is wonderful to hear!
I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with some feedback, the buffet breakfast is in a trial period and I will certainly pass on your feedback to Rick.
On a Monday and Tuesday we will be adding some extra items to the pool bar menu to include some more variety for our guests.
I do agree with you about the air-conditioning units being visible from the top deck of the plunge pool. This is something we will be remedying during some improvements in May.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Bannisters.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My girlfriends enjoyed a weekend away at Bannisters last month and from the moment we saw the view from our balcony we were hooked! Certainly worth the drive from Sydney. In fact two of us booked an extra night so we could get some spa treatments and relax by the pool a bit longer. The pool staff were attentive (and gorgeous!). Cocktails were excellent and the burger is to die for! I had one almost everyday for lunch and ran along the beach to balance things out. The restaurant was superb. I just can't pick one thing I wasn't impressed with. Pam at the front desk was a gem. Room was spotless. Breakfast was endless. And thank god they know how to make a good coffee because nobody else in Ulladulla seems to be able to. Can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: I initially thought being placed over the pool bar would be noisy, but we honestly didn't hear a thing. And it's had a perfect view of the sunset!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Loco L
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review Loco L!
I am thrilled you enjoyed you stay with us and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.